Oil Pressure Problem

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Matty
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:10 pm

Oil Pressure Problem

Post by Matty »

Well, I finally got around to attempting to break in my 2165 today and it wasn't a great experience. First, I will provide some specs: 40w Castrol oil, external oil filter with a PH8A filter, VDO duel post oil sender, and a dual relief case. When I tore the motor apart before to rebuild I noticed that the last builder forgot to install the plunger on oil pressure relief valve so I visited my local VW mechanic. He said he only had a oil relief and oil pressure valve replacement set that was designed to provide more oil pressure so I purchased it. However, I really just wanted a stock replacement. Started the motor and brought it to 2500 to break in the cam and I noticed the oil pressure was pegged at 85 psi. Ran it for 15 minutes and then let it idle. At idle the oil light is on and I am not getting any oil pressure 0. If I installed the relief and pressure valve backwards could that cause a problem? or do you think the PH8A filter instead of a HP1 could have casued a problem. Please give me as many suggestions as you can. I hope I didn't toast the bearings in this fresh rebuild.
500LbGorilla

Post by 500LbGorilla »

You shouldn't be running 40 weight oil for a break-in. That's a really bad idea. Always run a low weight oil for break in to make sure you get good flow, and to let the material that comes off flow out of the bearings and cylinders easily. 85 PSI is way too much.

You may have an oil piston stuck open. Investigate. Hope you didn't toast it.
Post Reply