"Super 2 Liter" update

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
User avatar
hackett66
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:25 pm

Post by hackett66 »

No problem Jake - I know you've been insanely busy this weekend. I'll resend the email again.

Thanks,
Chris
User avatar
Can Drive Soon
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 1:08 pm

Post by Can Drive Soon »

What is the starting fluid for? I didn't know that you needed fluid for a brand new engine.
Those flow-jet machines look like they would be a blast to play with (no fingers!).
Any guestimate on the kit price?
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

That starting fluid CLEANS parts to alint free and oil free state... And its cheap... Keeping everything spotless is the key to an awesome build- no matter what you are working with.
User avatar
iamstumper
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:55 pm

Post by iamstumper »

Quick question and demonstration of my lack of things automotive :D

For those of us not blessed with having a "classic" VW, will the final product (as you imagine it) pass California smog? Or, will we have to wait the 3 years to be exempt (Fraulein is a '79 after all), THEN replace the stock engine?

Of course, as I'm typing this, I can't remember if CA finally amended the laws for who is exempt from smog. Will have to check into that ... that could cause me to be in search of an even older VW that is exempt :P

BTW, love reading the forums and your site .... think you stated somewhere that you wanted people to feel as if they know you and where you are coming from.

After a couple of weeks of following your posts here and elsewhere, I feel like I could take a trip to GA for a kart experience while discussing what we can do for Fraulein! hehe

Keep up the progress and you'll open up a whole new avenue for guys to appeal to their wives on the possibilities of modifying their beloved rides! And for the women out there that have the same problem ... just in reverse, kick the guy in the seat and tell him he doesn't know how good he has it!!
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I have no idea if it would pass california smog- it would fail the visual inspection first off, so I seriously doubt it...

Move from California and you won't have to worry about it!
farmer
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:01 am

Post by farmer »

Yes, these fuel prices are really hitting. Today (sept. 1.) the prices hit $ 6,50 a gallon !!!. and with the problem occuring in Nigeria, may even go higher than that.
I HAVE to get my 1600 T1 fuel miser out, as soon as I get the time. (We cant go T4 as much as we want, because of goverment restrictions.
T.
User avatar
iamstumper
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:55 pm

Post by iamstumper »

Well, I was hopeful ...

Anyone know of any good web developer jobs outside of CA?!

Either way, your project isn't done yet, so I have time to get another bug ...e rr I mean research alternatives :P
User avatar
A_67vdub
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:01 am

Post by A_67vdub »

iamstumper wrote:Well, I was hopeful ...

Anyone know of any good web developer jobs outside of CA?!

Either way, your project isn't done yet, so I have time to get another bug ...e rr I mean research alternatives :P
Just keep a spare stocker for the smog check and swap them out when done.

Or get an older car. :wink:
User avatar
Plastermaster
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Plastermaster »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:hackett,
I didn't receive an email from you- I don't think anyway!

The 2016 MAY be a possibility as a full build- but it'll cost just as much labor as a 2270 that makes 40HP more... They take the same amount of my time.
This project has been a big hit and has attracted much intrest on this forum. If it works out as planned, I bet you could add an "efficiency" line to some of the other engines as well. I am sure you and Len can squeeze another 10 MPG out of the 2270 and still keep that 40 more HP. It might not be worth it for all your engines, due to other aspects of the combo, but I bet a 40MPG 2270 would be a big hit.

Ron
User avatar
Can Drive Soon
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 1:08 pm

Post by Can Drive Soon »

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, these fuel prices are really hitting. Today (sept. 1.) the prices hit $ 6,50 a gallon !!!. and with the problem occuring in Nigeria, may even go higher than that.
I HAVE to get my 1600 T1 fuel miser out, as soon as I get the time. (We cant go T4 as much as we want, because of goverment restrictions.
Am i missing something?

Off to watch mythbusters :D .
alsehendo
Posts: 1004
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:01 am

Post by alsehendo »

What grade fule 87 ?
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

probably premium..
The design changes that premium allowed us on the books look like they'll give another 7-8 MPG over a set up that would run cheap stuff.. So 2 cents a gallon can get you 7-8 more MPG- I'd say its worth it....

The prototype engine has 10.1:1 CR static!
JayInMI
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:14 pm

Post by JayInMI »

The difference between 87 and premium is about 18-20 cents a gallon here in MI. I'd rather get 40ish on 87, then 50 on premium...

Jay
farmer
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:01 am

Post by farmer »

Can Drive Soon wrote:
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, these fuel prices are really hitting. Today (sept. 1.) the prices hit $ 6,50 a gallon !!!. and with the problem occuring in Nigeria, may even go higher than that.
I HAVE to get my 1600 T1 fuel miser out, as soon as I get the time. (We cant go T4 as much as we want, because of goverment restrictions.
Am i missing something?

Off to watch mythbusters :D .
HE ! . - "I" am 9 hrs ahead of Western time. :wink:
We have 92 - 95 and 97 oct around here. The price is for 95, which again is about similar to your 92 oct.
T.
zydeco
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:01 am

Post by zydeco »

JayInMI wrote:The difference between 87 and premium is about 18-20 cents a gallon here in MI. I'd rather get 40ish on 87, then 50 on premium...

Jay
That doesn't make sense (assuming your gas prices are tickling $3/gallon too). Assuming $2.80 for regular and getting 40 mpg vs $3.00 for premium at 50 mpg, you come out ahead going for the premium. If/when gas prices come back down to $2.50/gal range, you'll start to come out ahead with the detuned version.

Regardless, 40 mpg is sweet, 50 mpg is icing on the cake.
Locked