Supercharger and cooling

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I had once thought about trying something like this... Or I had even contemplated cooling an engine with the Turbo and an intercooler (kinda crazy huh)

While we may see these high pressures inside the shroud, there is no doubt that creating a path for the air to flow into something like an intake system would drastically drop the pressures... While we may have just enough volume to sustain those pressures as soon as volume drops a bit the bottom will fall out of the pressure...

I know this because just a 2" hole drilled in a shroud dropped pressure by 5 PSI.
arlo
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:28 pm

Post by arlo »

I wonder though if the flow rate out of that 2" hole might be a lot higher than the air pumping rate of the engine? If that were true the 2" opening plumbed as a blower into the intake wouldnt drop the pressure so much. With some mods to the shroud design to enhance this their may be some posibilities. Even a few pounds of boost would be worth it since this would be so easy to produce.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

BUT it would (and does) alter the effectiveness of the cooling system.. Any pressure drop is a big deal to cooling, as pressure is the key- without pressure the air cannot be directed.

I don't want to venture into more cooling R&D... The DTM is finished!
Locked