2017

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
User avatar
volksrod73
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:28 am

2017

Post by volksrod73 »

I am interested in building a daily driver/occasional trip to the drag strip 2017. I am trying to find out anything I can about this motor setup and would like to recieve some input on it if possible.
Thanks.
David Miskov
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2001 12:01 am

Post by David Miskov »

How fast do you want to go and how much money do you have to spend?

Did you read this?
http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resou ... 1hpeng.htm
User avatar
volksrod73
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:28 am

Post by volksrod73 »

Yes, I read that entire article and I thought that it was very informative. But I am just looking for some personal experiences.
neil68
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:36 pm

Re: 2017

Post by neil68 »

volksrod73 wrote:I am interested in building a daily driver/occasional trip to the drag strip 2017. I am trying to find out anything I can about this motor setup and would like to recieve some input on it if possible.
Thanks.
Here's my current 2017 setup:

78.4 mm CB crank, 5.4" CB rods, 90.5 Mahle pistons, Engle W-120 cam, stock lifters, 11" ACN aluminum pushrods, straight-cut cam gears, CB 044 Oval-port heads 42 x 37 valves, 1.25 VW rockers, 46 mm Kadrons, 1 5/8" merged header, 2.5" A1 magnaflow muffler, 009, Pertronix, Mohr tranny brace, Berg traction bar, Berg 1.5 quart sump, 26 mm Berg full-flow pump kit, 46 mm EMPI Kadrons with 34 mm vents.

This combo is a lot of fun to drive on the street and I plan to test it at the track in the spring. I've got a HD tranny with slightly closer 3rd/4th gear set (1.48/1.04) with 4.125 R/P and SAW short axles.

My thinking sounds a bit similar to yours...to cruise around town every day, but also go racing on Friday nights wherever possible.

Good luck with your project!

Neil :)
User avatar
volksrod73
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:28 am

Post by volksrod73 »

Thanks for the input.
loopole
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:01 am

Post by loopole »

neil68, what did your deck height work out to with the 5.4 rods?, did you use a new mag case?
loopole
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:01 am

Post by loopole »

neil68, what did your deck height work out to with the 5.4 rods?, did you use a new mag case?
loopole
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:01 am

Post by loopole »

neil68, what did your deck height work out to with the 5.4 rods?, did you use a new mag case?
neil68
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:36 pm

Post by neil68 »

loopole wrote:neil68, what did your deck height work out to with the 5.4 rods?, did you use a new mag case?
My deck height was 0.093" with the 5.4" rods (no spacers or head gaskets). In retrospect, I should have used 5.5" rods or else machined the case deck down, as this combo left me with 8:1 CR.

However, I'm going to run it for a year or so and then maybe bump up the CR later, just to compare 1/4-mile times. The car is mostly for street use, so the racing is a lesser priority for now.

I used a new Brazilian AS41 dual-relief magnesium case.

Neil :)
RoWaMe
Posts: 1698
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 12:01 am

Post by RoWaMe »

volksrod, you can build a 2017 vey mild or quite wild for your purpose. The above advice is very applicable. Another major question is if you will require heat for cold weather driving, since the use of factory style heat exchangers limits your cylinder heads to the stock valve size. That in turn limits the size of your carbs, cam and compression ratio. If you stay with stock-valve but nicely ported heads, you can remove the factory heater boxes and a 1 3/8" header with the engine in the car and install a "summer only" 1 1/2" header and larger carbs.

That is what I did this past year on my 2017 with home-ported stock-valve heads left over from another engine. Many people would think that using stock-valve heads on a 2-liter is a waste, and it certainly does restrict the ultimate power potential. This engine will never see drag action since I built it around a good used CAST counterweighted crank that should not be subject to repeated dragrace starts. Instead, I built my engine for highway cruising and faster side road driving. Started out with factory heater boxes and the 1 3/8" header, KAdrons with their stock 28mm venturies. Late spring I installed a Berg 1 1/2" merged header since that enables use of the stock factory thermostat. Also installed Weber 40IDFs with 28mm venturies. I have a set of 32 vent's that I'll install into the IDFs next spring. This engine has an Engle 110 cam and about 7.9:1 CR. In either configuration, it has instant torque at low to mid rpms, but really stops pulling at about 5000rpm.

Neil68's engine sounds like he has a great combination. His larger valves and cam would enable the engine to make even more power if he went to dual-dual throats, but he is showing that Kads can be modified to run well with such an engine.
loopole
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:01 am

Post by loopole »

how common and expensive is it to have your cylinders machined down?, can any machine shop do this, decking the case is permanent so would prefer not to go this route. i am planning a 2017 with drd stage III heads, drla 36s etc built around a cb super case, i would like to get the deck down to .050 which would require a 64cc chamber volume to give me 8.1, cam something around a 110.
CHAZAVW
Posts: 2163
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:01 am

Post by CHAZAVW »

any machine shop can do it.....

about $100

where are you at?
loopole
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:01 am

Post by loopole »

eastern oregon, no vw machine shops for a long ways so i want to get things as close as possible with out having to ship cylinders or the case off for machine work after i have mocked it up......, at least i have no traffic to deal with though
Guest

Post by Guest »

can this 2017 work with stock hads,36 IDF's and 120 cam??
Post Reply