How do i know what size my engine is?
-
b1gfun
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:54 pm
How do i know what size my engine is?
I have a 1600 case. I know for a fact that it was overhauled and beefed up. I dont know how much. Is there a way to figure this out with out a total tear down? Sorry if this is a naive question.
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=31273
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=67083
If the cylinders are Cima/Mahle, you should be able to see a code cast in below the bottom fin. I think that's unique to each bore size (can't remember if, for example, 92 & late 90.5 or 85.5 & 87 are the same). Gimme that code and I can compare it to some jugs on the shelf, might be a clue at least. But even if you knew the bore, the displacement will depend upon the stroke too; you could probably figure out a way to take a crude measurement of that through a sparkplug hole.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=67083
If the cylinders are Cima/Mahle, you should be able to see a code cast in below the bottom fin. I think that's unique to each bore size (can't remember if, for example, 92 & late 90.5 or 85.5 & 87 are the same). Gimme that code and I can compare it to some jugs on the shelf, might be a clue at least. But even if you knew the bore, the displacement will depend upon the stroke too; you could probably figure out a way to take a crude measurement of that through a sparkplug hole.
-
500LbGorilla
You could take the measurement with a pencil. Get it to TDC, and put the pencil in the spark plug hole. Then mark the pencil, and then take it all the way down to BDC, and mark again. Take the pencil out, and measure the marks. Multiply by two. If you are in mm that's your answer. If you are in inches, you will have to make the conversion.
For bore, yeah, what Marc said.
For bore, yeah, what Marc said.