SVDA
-
Casey79Westfalia
- Posts: 275
- Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:07 am
SVDA
I have an svda from aircooled.net that I purchase last year and was very happy with the results. I have had 1 pertronix go out on me and I believe a compufire as well. The compufire was due to a coil falling out of place sparking the case and zapping lots of electrical many years ago.
My question is should I leave my points in and run the svda or put a compufire in. I am going to purchase a mallory unilite next year but am done this year with buying parts.
- raygreenwood
- Posts: 11914
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am
In my personal experience....the compufire part is not made as well. It was not an exact fit for a FI distributor with vacuum advance. The wiring harness was lousey. The way the wire looped and was held before it exited the strain relief through the poorly fitted grommet....mine died because the loop or wire eventually started rubbing on the vacuum advance arm....and it shorted.
I have had no problems with pertronic. The bracket was better, the wiring was better.
Both of them required a shim under the rotor to get them to work properly with teh vac advance FI distributor.
Yes...you have to be careful with shorting anything in the ignition system with either of these units. Yes....that puts the onus on your to make sure that no shorts happen, but the benefits as compared to points in my opinion....are well worth that extra effort.
Short of getting a mallory with optical....the pertronix is a much better way to go than points in my opinion.
Also, good points are getting very hard to find. All I used to use were the blue-streaks by standard ignition. The Bosch for the last fifteen years have been trash. All of the ones made in brazil....have had dents in the fixed electrode from too much heat when they are spot welded on...and the moving electrode is always twisted or misaligned. Inspect a few and see for yourself. It always starts edge burning quickly because of this. Ray
I have had no problems with pertronic. The bracket was better, the wiring was better.
Both of them required a shim under the rotor to get them to work properly with teh vac advance FI distributor.
Yes...you have to be careful with shorting anything in the ignition system with either of these units. Yes....that puts the onus on your to make sure that no shorts happen, but the benefits as compared to points in my opinion....are well worth that extra effort.
Short of getting a mallory with optical....the pertronix is a much better way to go than points in my opinion.
Also, good points are getting very hard to find. All I used to use were the blue-streaks by standard ignition. The Bosch for the last fifteen years have been trash. All of the ones made in brazil....have had dents in the fixed electrode from too much heat when they are spot welded on...and the moving electrode is always twisted or misaligned. Inspect a few and see for yourself. It always starts edge burning quickly because of this. Ray