Another bus gave up her heart.........

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Another bus gave up her heart.........

Post by dstar5000 »

to build the drag engine!
:twisted:

I was looking at one of the mains and it has 021 198 531E and then
the KS insignia(I know what that means) and an elephant insignia.

Anyone know what the elephant stamped in the main bearings mean?

Made in South Africa?
:lol:

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
Passatman
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Passatman »

Are those bearings oversized, meaning the case was line bored.
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Post by dstar5000 »

I haven't measured anything yet, just got it out of the tank!

It's a CU case from an 81(closed breather for electric cooling system)
and I can't find those numbers anywhere, so I'll just have to measure
and find out!
:lol:

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
germansupplyscott
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 12:01 am

Re: Another bus gave up her heart.........

Post by germansupplyscott »

dstar5000 wrote:Anyone know what the elephant stamped in the main bearings mean?
i've seen the elephant before on factory engine bearings, i am pretty sure it's a logo for either glyco or KS.

scott lyons
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Post by dstar5000 »

OK, but WHAT does the elephant stand for, or represent?

Anyone know?

I have a couple sets of Glycos around, I think Ill see if they have
the ensignia on them......

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Kolbenschmidt...

It's still present on the German bearings we sell in the store...
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Post by dstar5000 »

COOL! NO need to look at those Glycos tonight.
8)

Have you ever seen a -531E bearing set?
I can't find any numbers that are even CLOSE to that!
:(

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
Vielzidub 3
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:36 am

Post by Vielzidub 3 »

The mains on my 2L 914 (GB code) had the elephant on...seems a strange logo for a German company, and wonder if this is the base of the African connection (Remtec used to be VW's engine reconditioners / builders based in South Africa). . .or perhaps the source of the metal used to make the bearings?

i can't bring myself to throw these out and will be putting them on a shelf in the house somewhere! :D The marking remind me the hall marks you find on jewellary!
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Post by dstar5000 »

The mains I took out looked like the day they were put IN!

#3 had a hole in the piston though, looked at injector boots and yes,
had a crack in the underside, where the PO couldn't see it(prolly dint
ever look anyway). :roll:

Nice $150 engine with newly rebuilt spr ports.........never installed.
:twisted:

Anyone need a set of sqr ports?
:lol:

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
User avatar
dr. no
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:01 am

Post by dr. no »

Just took my "spare" engine apart--mains have the same number and cute little elephant and a little "VW". The new ones have the elephant but no "VW" and the quality of the engraving is nowhere near as pretty. If it weren't for the pitting I might just re-use them...
Locked