installation recommendations in DFW, TX area

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
LancelotIV
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:09 am

installation recommendations in DFW, TX area

Post by LancelotIV »

I'm hoping to get in line for a Raby IV for a Porsche RSK project I'm about to start, and am trying to get some background info.

I am getting a frame and body kit from Thunder Ranch (in San Diego, CA area), but I live in the DFW area. Does anyone know a good Type IV shop in this area who can help with the installation (when that wonderful day arrives) and who I can talk with about planning the overall project to consider the best systems for the car to make it the best overall package possible?

Though not "air-cooled"-related, I would also love any contacts/recommendations for restorers/ Spyder/Porsche specialists in the DFW area, if anyone knows of any.

MightySpyder's project is just awesome, and I'd love to do a similar thing, but Stateside and for a RSK. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Are you willing to transport the car to Georgia for assembly??

If so I know the **perfect** individual to work with you on the vehicle build. he is my primary installer and is by far the most qualified to do the job.

I have a similar version of the "Mighty Spyder" engine that I'd be willing to assemble for you. There will only be one "Mighty Spyder"..
User avatar
dr. no
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:01 am

Post by dr. no »

The Bug Stop in Arlington.
They are not T4 specialists (Kelly would rather sell you a BIG T1) but they do good, honest work. I know he was just putting one of Jake's engines with a fancy-but Tangerine header a few weeks ago into a replicar of some type.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Yes, thay are also an option. They are familiar with my work and think the same way as well..
LancelotIV
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:09 am

Post by LancelotIV »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Are you willing to transport the car to Georgia for assembly??

If so I know the **perfect** individual to work with you on the vehicle build. he is my primary installer and is by far the most qualified to do the job.

I have a similar version of the "Mighty Spyder" engine that I'd be willing to assemble for you. There will only be one "Mighty Spyder"..
Jake, yes, I would be willing to consider shipping to GA (my Dad lives in your neck o' the woods). It would be even better if I could find a detail guy out there to assemble the car itself, as well. That way I would just have the body moved once (to GA from TR in CA) and get everything done there.

I would be VERY interested in the "similar version." I recognize there will only be ONE MightySpyder (the world doesn't even deserve the one), but I am hoping for great performance (which is a given with ANY Raby build) with consideration for the overall application (need it as light as possible, +200hp/+175tor., daily driver- of course, yet capable of 160 on the straights on a 2 mi track, though most of its racing will be done in endurance road courses).

Fortunately for Mighty (but unfortunately for me) I am sure this project took a lot of you. I was really hoping to provide a unique/fun project for you on this car, but realize in many ways you've "been there, done that." I think you're the quality builder though that puts his heart and best into ALL of his work, and thus am pumped about ANY chance to work with you.

BTW, will you be passing through DFW on your way back home from your cross-country? Would love to host you and the bride (if she's coming along).
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Lance,
This statement says it all
Jake, yes, I would be willing to consider shipping to GA (my Dad lives in your neck o' the woods). It would be even better if I could find a detail guy out there to assemble the car itself, as well. That way I would just have the body moved once (to GA from TR in CA) and get everything done there
The person you want to work with is a form member here that goes by "Noh20"... He's the man! He is helping me finish Beth's vert, my Thing project and a 1960 project I have in the beginning stages of "badassness"

I'm sure he would love to work with the car as much as I would...

The similar version of the "Mighty Spyder" won't be an issue...

send me an email and lets get started! [email protected]
User avatar
NO_H2O
Posts: 526
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:01 am

Post by NO_H2O »

LancelotIV, I got you email and reponded. I think we can give you a one stop build. It sounds like a very wicked project.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I'm actually sitting in a hotel room on the laptop waiting for tomorrow's show....

I have already started crunching numbers in dynomation and figuring gear ratios...

This one is gonna be fun! (imagine if we could get both the Mighty Spyder and this car on the track at Leman!)
LancelotIV
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:09 am

Post by LancelotIV »

well, I lived in northern Spain for a couple years and my wife and her family are from there, so I am hoping to get a Raby Spyder over there in the long run. Those eurpoean roads are just perfect for such a machine! One day, I'd like to make the Lemans Classic a reality. . . ohhhh what fun!
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

That would be awesome.. With those two cars on the track at Leman you we would certainly get some attention!

What a blast that would be!
rickyhgarcia
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:32 am

Post by rickyhgarcia »

dr. no wrote:The Bug Stop in Arlington.
They are not T4 specialists (Kelly would rather sell you a BIG T1) but they do good, honest work. I know he was just putting one of Jake's engines with a fancy-but Tangerine header a few weeks ago into a replicar of some type.
The T4 Raby-based engine kit Kelly is assembling with the Tangerine headers is for a 914...not a replicar. The Bug Stop, however, is only putting the engine together and testing it at their dyno facility.

All the car work is being done at German Technology Inc. (GTI) in Euless. I have been taking my Porsches to GTI for the last 20 years, they do the best work in the DFW area.
User avatar
raygreenwood
Posts: 11914
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Post by raygreenwood »

Ricky...did you at one time own a gold 412 ...and work for one of the VW dealers here in Dallas? Ray
User avatar
dr. no
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:01 am

Post by dr. no »

That took a while...
rickyhgarcia
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:32 am

Post by rickyhgarcia »

dr. no wrote:That took a while...
Sorry about the delay...haven´t been in this forum for a long while. Actually, it was exciting to find out that my engine was being mentioned here. I couldn´t resist replying to your post even at this late a time.
rickyhgarcia
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:32 am

Post by rickyhgarcia »

raygreenwood wrote:Ricky...did you at one time own a gold 412 ...and work for one of the VW dealers here in Dallas? Ray
Sorry, not me...
Locked