78.4 ?

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
Santas Brother
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:55 pm

78.4 ?

Post by Santas Brother »

Jake: where did the 78.4 mm stroke come from ?
All other sizes are in whole mm sizes.
Seems like a strange number.

My guess is that is the max stroke
that will clear the stock base circle cam.

Yes,no ?

Thanks.
User avatar
tuna
Posts: 2531
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 12:01 am

Post by tuna »

Actually the 78.4 stroke is a holdover from the Type 1 days. Why that particular number, I don't know. I think it may have started with the Okrasa cranks, but I could be wrong.

Tuna
R2.0
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:18 pm

Post by R2.0 »

IIRC, it is what one winds up with when a crank is offset gound to Chevy bearings.

R2.0
1972 Karmann Ghia Convertible

"As God is my witness I though turkeys could fly." - A. Carlson -
User avatar
Kelley
Posts: 855
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Kelley »

Deck height?
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

actually it came from Oettinger in the early days of VW stroking... I used to remember the story but I had to "Recycle bin" some of that old memory to make room for the new stuff or my brain would have locked up from overload!
Santas Brother
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Santas Brother »

90 x 78 = 1985

90 x 78.4 = 1995cc

If you were racing in a class with a 2000cc limit,
some people would want that extra 10cc.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Yes, back in the day the 90mm NPR piston kit was very popular in the 2.0 class and used with this crank
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Wally »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Yes, back in the day the 90mm NPR piston kit was very popular in the 2.0 class and used with this crank
I think it is more likely that the 90,0mm Oettinger Nikasil cylinders/Mahle pistons were used for that size 'back in the day', but I'am talking type 1 here :oops:

The Oettinger type 1 Nikasils were 90,0mm, not 90,5mm, so thats rather distinctive :wink:
(the porsche 2,7 911 engine has 90,0mm alu barrels as well :roll: )

Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Here in the states the 90mm NPRs were very typical with the Type1. I used these all the way up to 1993 when the supply dried up.
Locked