Hot VW's Part 3

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
Passatman
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Passatman »

huw'sspeedster,

Do you know if jake shuffle pins all his engines cases when he builds an engine.
huw'sspeedster
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:22 pm

Post by huw'sspeedster »

I dont think so no mention of it anywhere in the articles! Only a bit of clearancing for the increased stroke so the rods clear and the drilling and tapping of the oilways!Thats all that i am aware of!
Huw
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

Iseem to recall Jake stating that only under extreme circumstances would he shuffle pin a case.

But now he is starting to delve into the turbo world..........
:twisted:

Don
User avatar
tuna
Posts: 2531
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 12:01 am

Post by tuna »

Yeah, Jake's got a lot of projects going on that he doesn't share, so he may be doing it on the more extreme motors. We'll never know until he shares. :-(

Tuna
sraey8
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:29 pm

Post by sraey8 »

Just picked up a HVW magazine at the store last night for the first time since last year and I see this TIV build up by J.R. It was already into it's third phase / issue at this point and I'm wanting the 2 previous articles.

Does anyone know of a link to where I can see these online, or am I going to have to buzz HVW and backorder those mags.?
deano67
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:35 am

Post by deano67 »

Those of you that missed any part of this series, can get them from the Hot VWs back issue department. They run $6 each including postage (U.S. addresses). You have to do this by mail, so just pay using a check or money order. You can write:

Hot VWs Back Issue Department
P.O. Box 2260
Costa Mesa, CA 92628

The Type 4 series runs; June, July, August, and the September 2006 (not available quite yet). . .

By the way, the entire series went a total of 12 full pages, plus various carryover columns in the back. Hope you guys enjoyed the series. Dean Kirsten
User avatar
tuna
Posts: 2531
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 12:01 am

Post by tuna »

deano67 wrote:Hope you guys enjoyed the series. Dean Kirsten
Deano,

I think all of us here have really enjoyed the series, I know I have. Do you have anymore T4 related articles in the works? Feature cars with a T4 conversion? I'd like to see more of them, and the additional exposure could mean a new market for your advertisers.

Just a thought,

Tuna
http://vdubgeek.blogspot.com/
Type 4: Secrets Revealed - https://type4secrets.blogspot.com/
Tom's Type 4 Corner - coming soon!
EMPI Imp Homepage - coming soon!
My VWs - http://vdubgeek.blogspot.com/p/my-vdubs_5.html
deano67
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:35 am

Post by deano67 »

You'll have one next issue....
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

As far as shuffle pinning goes...

The TIV case and it's fasteners are so durable that I find it's really un necessary and virtually a waste of effort.

This is very notable when we tear down our F production SCCA engines that run a solid season of 6,500-8,500 revs for 45 minutes at a time and show no signs of fretting or case shifting without the pins. I have one engine that is pinned and upon tear down it had the same wear as those I have documented without pins and the same or more run time.

I didn't even do it to my 3 liter, or did I do it to the Mighty Spyder, which makes power to past 8,000 RPM.

The difference is in the balancing of the rotating and reciprocating parts, with a proper balance job the entire engine benefits, especially the crankcase. An engine can never be balanced good enough, sometimes I spend a full day on one and still don't have it as tightly balanced as I feel it needs to be, even with my balance equipment.

I have probebly shuffle pinned 5 engines in the past 10 years and those were either already pinned cases or had customers that were basically unwilling to listen to my advice and wanted to blow their money for no reason at all.

In my queue at the present I have four 300+ HP Turbo street engines (one closer to 500HP). They will be built in 2007 and their design prototype will be finished in mid November 2006 and will be beat on, torn down and measured dozens of times, I plan on not pinning it first and then pinning it about 1/2 way through the test phases to see the differences with such heavy power output.
Sixty3GL
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:29 pm

Post by Sixty3GL »

I don't want to hijack....but it has to do with the Mallory,
I'm dropping my 009 and installing the Unilite. Just wondering what it should be set at, and how much fiddling/adjusting does it take?
2366 type 4
stock cam
p/p bus heads
44 IDF's (stock internals)
Also Where can I get a Type 4 serp. belt system??
Thanks
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Currently there are no serpentine arrangements for the TIV DTM. I have tried on many occasions to modify some off the shelf TI units but none have satisfied me. We have had no issues with the V belt arrangements, even on high RPM applications and the serpentine is more of a "Looks" addition than anything else.

As for the Mallory, did you purchase it from my store? If so it comes preset for a TIV and ready to drop in with no adjustments necessary.
Sixty3GL
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:29 pm

Post by Sixty3GL »

Thanks for the information on the serp. system, I guess I'll just stick with stock.
As for the dizzy, I did order it from you and received it quickly :D
I wasn't sure if it was 'plug and play' or if I had to give motor specs. and adjust from there. Thanks Jake :!:
Sixty3GL
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:29 pm

Post by Sixty3GL »

So I put the distributor in and set the advance at 12 degrees BTDC. Warmed up the motor and checked the total advance and it's at 43 degrees at 3k rpm's. According to the article it should be around 28 degrees. How do you adjust the internals to get it lower? Thanks for your help.
Passatman
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Passatman »

Thank's jake for replying. Ahhhhhhh i love the type4 engine from stock it has all the mods type1 guy's would have to do to build a big engine.
Locked