Wiring Harness Help

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
JimA
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Wiring Harness Help

Post by JimA »

I have a 1970 vw bug. I need the following:

wiring for both headlights;
both turn signal wires;
horn wire;
master cylinder wires

Does anyone have an old harness they'd be willing to part with or does anyone know where I can buy these coded wires without paying a fortune?
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

You're only looking at 6 wires, if you're stock, right?

Just hit up your local electronic store and buy about 4 spools of different colors, some connectors, heat shrink, electrical tape, and a crimper.
User avatar
JimA
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Post by JimA »

I thought about that. I wanted to keep it honest and use the same wires...
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

I'm sure someone has an old, used harness they don't need.

I tried to give mine away about a year ago. I pulled the entire thing out of my 68. Alas, I pitched it, since I had no takers.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

I'll see what I have.. normally this stuff gets pitched.. the stuff in the front of the car is normally molested.
User avatar
JimA
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Post by JimA »

Yeah that's part of my problem. I've spent a lot of time on my bug and don't want to do another hack job with connectors and odd colored wires hanging out everywhere. Thanks for looking!
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

I personally wouldnt use a old harness. i would replace them with new wires. as long as you get the right gauge there will be no differance, except it is new.
User avatar
JimA
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Post by JimA »

What gauge/How do I tell?
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Some crimpers are sold with a gauge guide.
You can always 'eyeball'....just remember that you can always go with bigger wire (smaller number...example is that 10 gauge is smaller wire diameter than 8 gauge) than you need...just never smaller wire.

I just did a quick search and found this:
http://web-ee.com/Component%20Pages/wire.htm
and stumbled across some good info here:
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-cor ... wiring.htm
User avatar
JimA
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Post by JimA »

Thanks. Good reading.
Post Reply