Electrical Tools And Stuff

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

Here are pics of the tools I bought to do my wiring harness...

HD crimper and wire stripper - crimper does insulated & non-insulated... they were around $10 each at Orvacs.

Image

Closer image of stripper jaws...

Image

Here is the multimeter I got - kinda high end, probably don't need the true RMS, but Fluke is a good brand. $114 at Sears (used a gift card from Xmas).

Image
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

Seems that the ratcheting crimper is the tool of choice. The Klein model looks like a stout crimper; the cheapest that I found it was $197.00.
Image

As far as strippers go (the wire kind :wink: ) I have always used the Ol' School style. What is everyones take on the spring loaded kind... good, bad, indifferent?

And a little off subject, concerning WeatherPack terminals, shrouds, etc... What is the most common size that people that use them grab. I understand that it depends on the circuit, but more times than not do you grab a 3, 4, 6 plug?

Saw this on EBay and made me wonder...

Image
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

DG if you can snap those kleins up for $197 grab them they cost me almost $90 bucks more than that here, and i get volume discount from my suppliers but try to buy the exact model pictured you'll see why when you look at them

as far as weatherpack is concerned buy them in a kit with the tool included it will end up running you cheaper in the long run
User avatar
Big Dave
Posts: 3208
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm

Post by Big Dave »

I have a Fluke meter very similar to Skids, as well as good crimpers and a wire stripper. The newest tool I got is this
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item_Lg. ... /52470.JPG
It's a hot knife, heat gun, solder iron, blow torch all in one. It heats up very quick and runs for about 20 minutes on as much butane thats in a disposible lighter. Its made by Blue Point and available through Snap On.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
Post Reply