wiring up offroad lights

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

Why not this... This is what I am planning for my car (I don't think I will use the "indicator off" feature though)

I just like the idea of having the relays operate the lights and having all the relays in a central location.

Image
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

DesertGuy given the caliber of your car i know that the quality and wattage of the lights you will install and there won't be anything that you would be able to run thru a switch the idea behind my response was to demonstrate a basic current calculating exercise and to make people aware that in low wattage situations a simple switch can still be used

but by and far the better installs utilize a relay setup
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

Hey Bob, don't blame me... I learned the above from you :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the help, BTW
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

And you you learned your lesson well grasshopper..... now if you could only teach this dumb old fart how to make these cool diagrams
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

TO RELAY OR NOT TO RELAY

Recently I purchased alot of these switches; they are a triple sealed, o-ring toggle switch rated to 20A. The Bosch relay commonly used is rated to 30A, from what I see. Considering the following:

2 100W Off-Road lights = 200W
200W/12V = 16.66A

Would you use a relay or simply run it through the switch? Is there any benefit one way or the other? I understand running through a relay for a lower rated toggle, but would it be better to K.I.S.S in this case?

Image
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

those appear to to be a pretty stout looking switch i might be tempted to try running the lights directly thru those switches just to see how they stand up but they i am always curious about things like that
Post Reply