When to Fuse.. When Not to Fuse

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

When to Fuse.. When Not to Fuse

Post by MNAirHead »

I was reading this thread by Bob2088

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... highlight=

I'm certain that I way over complicate things and over engineer them.

The note is that there is 5-6 fuses max needed.

I fuse the daylights out of the custom stuff.... probably too much

When to fuse.. when not to?

T.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

2088 bob wrote:every branch circuit should be fused
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Bob..

Branch meaning every major function.. small lights.. big lights.. audio.. basic engine etc?
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

branch meaning anything that has power running through it.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

understood..

I'm trying to simplify the answer slightly.. I fuse everything .. probably way too much..

Kind of asking for clarity for some of our lurking pals who may not post a follow up.

T.
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

takotruckin wrote:branch meaning anything that has power running through it.
Well not everything.

I believe pretty much everything besides power to the starter and from the alt/gen. So all lights for sure, all stereo equipment, all power to gauges, etc.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

rickosuave1987 wrote:
takotruckin wrote:branch meaning anything that has power running through it.
Well not everything.

I believe pretty much everything besides power to the starter and from the alt/gen. So all lights for sure, all stereo equipment, all power to gauges, etc.
oh yeah, forgot about those two..
fortyeye
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 pm

Post by fortyeye »

One thing I've seen on all too many wiring plans is the overuse of circuit breakers. Circuit breakers are excellent for lights and guages and in some cases for long high amp runs (front mounted batteries and such). Any circuit that has an electronic device on the end should not be protected with just a circuit breaker. Use fast blow fuses on any circuit that has electronics. Circuit breakers (especially auto-reset type) are too slow and will allow currents through, before they trip, that will damage electronics. Auto-reset will do it more than once.
AKA clearsurf
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I run (auto) resetable C/Bs but also run fuses to my electronics. C/Bs are usually slow burn units and electronics can be damaged before they blow. Also, the C/Bs can reset t hemselves before you are ready and continue to do damage.

To be fair though, C/B's have got me back to camp where fuses would not have. You have to be careful when designing your wiring.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

rickosuave1987 wrote:
takotruckin wrote:branch meaning anything that has power running through it.
Well not everything.

I believe pretty much everything besides power to the starter and from the alt/gen. So all lights for sure, all stereo equipment, all power to gauges, etc.


One of the biggest electrical flaws in VW land is the choke wire.. anyone with a webber progressive and a fan shroud knows the issue.
Post Reply