No headlights!

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

No headlights!

Post by thrown_hammer »

I have a 1961 Baja Bug with a full Beetle sedan wiring harness. Recently my headlights have gone out. At first they would flicker and then come on. Then eventually they just don’t come on at all. I looked at the headlight switch. There are four wires. A big blue, a small brown, a small grey, and a big Black w/white stripe. If I touch the blue to the brown I get dash, running, and tail lights. Any other combination of wire touching yields no lights. I am assuming the big blue is power and the brown is dash/tail/running lights.

I checked the headlights and connections, and they are good. I cleaned the ground. I haven’t checked the dimmer switch on the floor yet.

Right now I am assuming I either have a broken wire between the headlights and the switch, or the dimmer switch completely konked out on me.

I don’t have a meter but will borrow one soon. I can check continuity on the headlight wires that way and also verify which wire is power at the switch.

Any other suggestions or quirky Beetle tricks?
User avatar
Speedy Jim
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Speedy Jim »

Jumper across the dimmer switch terminals, as a test.

Examine the grounding for the headlights. Should go to some place
solid on the chassis.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Jim I didn't have to jump the switch. Turns out the middle wire on the dimmer switch was really(REALLY) loose. I crimped it down a little with pliers, pushed it back on the switch and the headlights work.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

great..

Normally have found it's not the wire.. it's the end.
Post Reply