Free program to draw diagrams...

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Free program to draw diagrams...

Post by 72bajaben »

This is for those of you that are always asking what to use when drawing your wiring diagrams and such....and for those of you that want to do it.

Its called Dia. Anyone that knows how linux works knows that it is free. Well this is Linux software that has been ported over to windows. What does this mean? Free software that is good. lol It is basicly a free version of Microsoft Visio. It is pretty nice. I like it so far. the link to the windows version is here and the linux version here. I dont know a whole lot about linux but if you want to give it a shot on that OS well there you go.

So basicly here is some free software that i found for you guys to use to draw your wiring diagrams.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Sweet! I will download it and let you know what I think.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I have been using Visio for a long time. I got one of the newer versions when my computer went Poo-poo and while it is good some of the older versions I have used are better (for electrical diagrams anyway).

My neighbor, across the street, works for Microsoft in the Visio division, and I will ask her about some of this stuff. I am having trouble doing some of the things I want with the newer version I have. I think they are getting ready for a new version to come out soon.

Lee
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:I have been using Visio for a long time. I got one of the newer versions when my computer went Poo-poo and while it is good some of the older versions I have used are better (for electrical diagrams anyway).

My neighbor, across the street, works for Microsoft in the Visio division, and I will ask her about some of this stuff. I am having trouble doing some of the things I want with the newer version I have. I think they are getting ready for a new version to come out soon.

Lee
That's what I use. Visio 2003. Is that the version you're using?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yes it is. I think she said there was a new version coming out. I haven't seen her today to ask. Lee
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Yes it is. I think she said there was a new version coming out. I haven't seen her today to ask. Lee
2007 is out. I got 2003 for free, so until I can get the same deal on '07.... 8)
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/default.aspx
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I did get a chance to talk to her for a minute... until her phone rang. I braved a walk up a hill (I just had a stint put in my heart two days ago and the hole in my groin is still not a solid heal up). She did say that Visio 2007 did come out in late January. To import stuff you have made, like of distrubitors or such ues Insert/object. You can use insert/pictures also.

To be honest, I haven't looked into colors yet, just having to figure out how simple I want this cut to be. A full re-wire will be when I get to the full suspension treatment this next fall as anyting I have put in will have to be changed then..
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

visio is coolest as it locks to the object.. you can move things around and not have to change the lines.
Post Reply