Messy horn wiring question

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
mikemck
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Messy horn wiring question

Post by mikemck »

I have a 60-61 column with a 66-67 turn signal switch on which I am installing a Nardi wheel.

For 60-61 the steering shaft itself carried the current instead of a wire down the center.

It seems like the hub, being connected to the shaft, makes the connection to the steering box.

That would mean that the wire from the horn button would somehow need to make a connection to the outer tube.

How could this be done and what pieces would be needed.

Right now there looks like there is nothing on the steering wheel or the turn signal switch that would facilitate a connection between them.

Thanks for any help.
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Marc »

mikemck
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Post by mikemck »

Marc, thank you for your reply.

I have read the information there several times. I under the theory about how it all works.

I need to know what hardware pieces I need to make it work.

Thanks again.

Mike
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Marc »

mikemck wrote:..I have read the information there several times..
Apparently you missed the part that answers your question.

"Anyone who has a '60 or '61 Beetle and has had to scare up parts for the upper steering column knows just how hard these parts are to find. And almost everything about these years is unique when it comes to this two-year-only design. If you have one of these years with an original, working column, consider yourself very lucky, and take care of it. If you don't, and you will trade a working horn for vintage correctness, you might consider converting your whole column to the 1962-1967 type...."
mikemck
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Post by mikemck »

I did read that part.

I don't think I need any of the upper column parts below the turn signal switch. The turn signal switch is already a 66-67 type.

I think what I need is something to make the connection between the wheel and the turn signal switch and neither of these are the 60-61 vintage.
mikemck
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Post by mikemck »

It looks like if I remove the fiber washer on the top of the spring, the shaft I tube would be electrically connected and would function like a 62-67 setup.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

If memory serves correctly it will make a connection... I've rarely actually used the early square window electrical columns.

58-61s are notorious for having butchered parts and some resistence.

Have you cleaned teh contacts and then measured the voltage/continuity accross the column
mikemck
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 6:01 pm

Post by mikemck »

I haven't removed the fiber washer yet.

I do have continuity from the tube through the bearing to the spring. Sometimes there is a little resistance. That might go away when the spring is compressed more.

There are not any contacts involved in the 60-61 setup.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

mikemck wrote:
There are not any contacts involved in the 60-61 setup.
Any place that metal connects to give you continuity becomes a contact. Polishing/cleaning is always a good idea on early columns.. they get dirty, corroded and restitance over 45+ years... then add the screw terminal issues.
Post Reply