horn drama

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Slow 1200
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:01 am

horn drama

Post by Slow 1200 »

Situation: A 64 bug: I have been renewing the front suspension and steering: new beam, steering box, etc.
Yesterday I installed the steering box and put a new coupler; I connected the battery to check if the horn worked...and it did, but all the time!
It must be said that this car does not have the original horn, it's a different type and it's ran from a relay, as fas as I can say it works connecting a terminal of the relay to ground (there's a cable running from the steering column to the relay, if I disconnect it the horn does not sound)
I checked the brown cable running inside the shaft and it is intact, I took out the steering wheel and the horn kept beeping!
What could cause this kind of behaviour? I don't know what else to check!
I haven't messed with the column at all so I don't see how it could be grounding now
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: horn drama

Post by david58 »

Slow 1200 wrote:Situation: A 64 bug: I have been renewing the front suspension and steering: new beam, steering box, etc.
Yesterday I installed the steering box and put a new coupler; I connected the battery to check if the horn worked...and it did, but all the time!
It must be said that this car does not have the original horn, it's a different type and it's ran from a relay, as fas as I can say it works connecting a terminal of the relay to ground (there's a cable running from the steering column to the relay, if I disconnect it the horn does not sound)
I checked the brown cable running inside the shaft and it is intact, I took out the steering wheel and the horn kept beeping!
What could cause this kind of behaviour? I don't know what else to check!
I haven't messed with the column at all so I don't see how it could be grounding now
If you hook the brown wire to the terminal of the relay you grounded it should sound the horn when you press the horn.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

Image
Slow 1200
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Slow 1200 »

well, problem solved, I put back the old coupler and the problem went away, it doesn't make much sense but the new (brazilian) coupler made electrical contact between the steering shaft and the box :evil:
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

dumb question..

I've had this mysterious issue with asian and brazillian couplers -- anyone know why this happens.
Post Reply