Tail Lights

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Tail Lights

Post by nukeworker »

Finished wiring. Got a problem. Got no tail lights. Head lights work (hi & lo beams), all blinkers work, back-up lights are good, brake lights work. Just no tail lights with the switch on. I'm no electrical genius. How would you trouble shoot? Used the Watson's kit. I'm using the tail lights with three bulbs. Top is for blinkers (yellow lens), middle is brake/tail light (red lens), bottom is back-up (clear lens). Please help.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: Tail Lights

Post by david58 »

nukeworker wrote:Finished wiring. Got a problem. Got no tail lights. Head lights work (hi & lo beams), all blinkers work, back-up lights are good, brake lights work. Just no tail lights with the switch on. I'm no electrical genius. How would you trouble shoot? Used the Watson's kit. I'm using the tail lights with three bulbs. Top is for blinkers (yellow lens), middle is brake/tail light (red lens), bottom is back-up (clear lens). Please help.
Do the front parking lights work the rear tail lights share the same power source.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

Good point. Yes they do and I thought they gave you a choice of whether or not you wanted the front blinkers to be on or off with the headlights. I thought I picked on, but they too are off with the headlights on.
User avatar
Speedy Jim
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Speedy Jim »

You don't say what year car, but only headlight switches with
a Term #57 have optional park lights.

Term #58 should be live in either 1st or 2nd switch position.
Check with a tester.
#58 should go to fuses for Park and for Tail lights.
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

It's a 66 but I totally replaced the wiring system with the Watson's Streetworks kit. I used their headlight switch. There is an option on the switch for either front parking lamps on or off when headlights are on. I chose on.
User avatar
Speedy Jim
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Speedy Jim »

OK. Then use the tester to track down where voltage is being lost
on the way to the tail lights. Are there separate fuses for the
tail lights? If so, start there.
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

Figured it out! Thanks guys.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

What was the issue..

If you don't mind, will cross link this to the watson's thread.
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

I'm a little embarassed I missed it but I had all the wires run (I thought) but the tail lights just wouldn't come on. I went through all the wiring diagrams to see if I missed something and couldn't find it. Then while rereading the instructions for the Watson's headlight switch the last sentence sez to run a fusable link (min 10 amps) from this one terminal to power. I must have missed it or forgot about it. Ran to the parts store. Put one in with a 15 amp fuse and Bingo! I got lights.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Since you're now finished....all together, how long did it take you?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

It took months. Actual time was probably 20-25 hours. I have a shot gun kind of way of working on my car. Instead of doing one thing till it's done, I kinda work on everything at once. So far it's worked out OK.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

nukeworker wrote:It took months. Actual time was probably 20-25 hours. I have a shot gun kind of way of working on my car. Instead of doing one thing till it's done, I kinda work on everything at once. So far it's worked out OK.
That is PRECISELY my build....started as a rewire....pulled the wires, then thought....well, I should put the body lift on while the wires are out of the way....then when I was done with that, I thought....I should clean up the pans a bit.....etc, etc. :roll: :)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Kind of like... "Hun.. as long as you're hanging a mirror in the bathroom, let's remodel the kitchen"
Post Reply