I was tuning my motor today when the negative battery connector got knocked loose for a moment (obviously it wasn't tightened well enough). Immediately after that I noticed that the tach stopped working.
I have a 356 tach in my VW and now the needle is pegged out (@ max RPM) and stuck in that position whether the motor is on or off.
Any ideas - did I fry the tach somehow, or short something out?
Fried Tach?
-
VUU
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:13 pm
Yeah, I did tap it and I even disconnected it, but to no avail - that needle is stuck.
Silly mistake - I'd just removed and then re-installed the battery and I thought I tightened both connectors. I have an alternator rather than a generator on this particular motor, but apparently the voltage irregularity was still enough to damage the tach.
Silly mistake - I'd just removed and then re-installed the battery and I thought I tightened both connectors. I have an alternator rather than a generator on this particular motor, but apparently the voltage irregularity was still enough to damage the tach.
- MNAirHead
- Posts: 9570
- Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am
-
VUU
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:13 pm
Thanks for the help and concern, Tim.
I'm happy to report a happy ending to my story: I pulled into my garage last night and when I glanced over at the VW I noticed that the tach needle had returned to its proper position. I then started the car and the tach worked properly. Apparently the needle was simply stuck. I did tap on the gauge the night before, but to no avail. It seems the needle just needed to unstick itself. Thank the Lord for small miracles!
I'm happy to report a happy ending to my story: I pulled into my garage last night and when I glanced over at the VW I noticed that the tach needle had returned to its proper position. I then started the car and the tach worked properly. Apparently the needle was simply stuck. I did tap on the gauge the night before, but to no avail. It seems the needle just needed to unstick itself. Thank the Lord for small miracles!