RyanB's Baja - popping/backfire under load

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

I have metal fenders your welcome to if you want something to cut down. At least I think they are still up in the loft somewhere. I better check. :lol:

did I just hijack my own thread? :oops:
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Man, that looks familiar...
Image

:lol: :lol:
Looks good though!
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
allsierra123
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:32 pm

Post by allsierra123 »

I was thinking of those xtra clearance aluminum jobs i have seen around.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

I havent worked with my Baja much lately. After fitting the glass on it, I put some street tires on all the centerline rims I have. THe rear's are a bit small now but i'm trying to not spend too much more moeny on this thing.

I pulled the Kadrons off last night and put the progressive on. Or, I tried to put the progressive on. I'm not sure why but the choke coil pack sticks too far out the back of the carb and I cannot fit it on without modifying either the coil or the fan shroud. Neither of which is appealing.

I finally said to helll with it I want to see if this will work at all. I removed the coil and mounted the carb. And with my luck, it ran like crap. <sigh> Getting black nasty liquid coming out of the exhaust so the carb must be dumping fuel into the intake I guess. Giving up on progressive carbs and looking for a dell/weber IDF setup now.

I wanted something with a choke as this is supposed to be a daily driver. Oh well I guess.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
Baja Rob
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:05 am

Post by Baja Rob »

RyanB wrote: Collecing info right now on swapping the redux tranny in
I just did this last weekend:
http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/phpbb/v ... 36&start=0
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Baja Rob wrote:
RyanB wrote:
I just did this last weekend:
http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/phpbb/v ... 36&start=0
Bob. Thanks for the link. That's some VERY clean and amazing work there. Any chance you can duplicate those L brackets? :lol:

I've aquired another Bus Redux setup and will hopefully be getting back to this, this winter. :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Well I have been working on my Baja quite a bit lately. I want to get it going for a Daily Driver.

Things I have done the past 2 weeks...

Figure out Wiring for rear Brakes, Stop lamp and running lights.
Install Rear tail lamp housings and connect wiring.
Install late model gas tank.
Install fuel filler and hose to tank.
Replace 6v wiper motor with 12v wiper motor
Install Headlights/Turn/Running light units.
Figure out front wiring
Spray on Rubber undercoat for new Baja Fiberglass.

I purchased the Halogen housings from CIP1. I loved the idea. However the implimentation isnt easy on a Baja. To properly fir the trim ring, you need a headlight bucket. However, there isnt anything I found that could be bolted in with flanges or anytthing. It's too cold to fiberglass and I really didnt want the headache of doing that anyhow. So I sent the replacement buckets they sent me. So, for now I dont have any trim rings on and the back of the lamp encloser is exposed. Not much I can do about it right now.

Here are some pics of the filler and the headlights.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
buzzboy
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:30 pm

Post by buzzboy »

If you're looking to do fiberglass and it's cold out just put it in the microwave for 3-5 seconds, 10 for a really big batch. We do most all of our wintertime fiberglass this way in batches up to half a gallon. It kicks off just like summer. Works on epoxy too.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

I forgot to mention... My wife thought this was Hilarious... So I put some gas into the car and I had been running it off and on. Tuning it up and whatnot. I finally got everything on and went to take it around the block and to the gas station for a fill up. well... I ran out of gas about 1/2 mile from home on it's maiden voyage for me. <sigh> I had to call her to bring my gas can.

I think she was laughing her ass off the whole way over to me.

I found out a couple troubleing issues. #1 is something I was planning on fixing anyhow which is the way I have the filler tubing setup, if you pump gas too quickly it will come shooting back out. I kinda expected that so I need to come up with a better design. #2 is the car will not stay in second. I have to hold it in second which is annoying as all hell.

<sigh>

However, it was great to finally really drive the car. i've had the darn thing for a year and a half or so.

Things to do:

Rear view mirror: Oooops! I dont have one! Ack!
Side Mirror: Ooops! I dont have one of those either!
Turn Signals: I burned up the 6volt flasher. Have to figure out what to do.
Running Lights: I have running/day lights in the halogen enclosures. When they are on with the halogen it makes them essentially brights. Have to work out a switch to turn them off when I turn the headlamps on.

Long term:

I still have a 1.8L Subaru motor that is supposed to go into this car. Funda have become super short after the Xmas spending spree. Still need to buy the adapter from Dan Hecker, then I can seriously get started on a swap. Till then looks like I will be using the 1200cc single port. Heh.



Buzzboy, thanks for the tip. I honestly havent ever done any fiberglassing. I've spent alot on materials and information but I havent done any yet. So, trying little tricks on my first attempt scares me. lol. Not to mention if my wife found out I put that "Nasty Stuff" as she refers to it in her new microwave... Oh man.... You guys might be reading about my obituary...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Hey that gas tank looks familiar.... :lol:

Congrats on getting it driving at least. 8)
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
bajaherbie
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Post by bajaherbie »

use a bungee cord to hold it in second..... :lol:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

rickosuave1987 wrote:Hey that gas tank looks familiar.... :lol:

Congrats on getting it driving at least. 8)

Haha isnt it? Thanks, I appreciate you sending it. I had to re-patch the hole i nthe tank next to the outlet though. hehe. glad I didnt fill it before I found that out.

Now, I need to find a modern sender and a new speedo with guage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

there was a hole in the tank?!? :shock: I didnt know... :oops: Sorry.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Well... Not sure how many of you have experienced the HELL it is to get a snapped bolt or stud out. <sigh>

Last summer, I put the 2 lower engine mount studs in with red locktite. Well I hit some good air at Sand Lake in the rail and it snapped them. With the locktite in there, no way can I get them out without drilling. Tried a "easy out" set. Yea right. That locktite is 'good' stuff man... so. here I am now with "Case Savers" at the suggestion of my local VW Parts place.

Problem is? they take a damn 14mm tap. Jeese. My set is from 3mm to 12mm.

I spent almost as much on my complete tap and die set as I did on this single 14mm tap! :roll:

Once I get these stufs back in I can moutn the 1776 in my Baja and finally start driving it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

Heat will break down the loctite. Use a propane torch, but don't get it too hot to damage the case.
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
Post Reply