painting engine tin

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
SiQDiZ
Site Admin
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:13 pm

painting engine tin

Post by SiQDiZ »

Hi guys,

What would be the advisable product to repaint my engine tin and shroud. I would like to have an OEM looking result, and also easily cleanable and heat resistant. I will make all tin rust-free to start with.


Thanks,


Oscar
User avatar
Glenn
Posts: 5108
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Glenn »

Get it powder painted.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Powder coat is good.

I normally acid dip for a while.. then use industrial paint to finish it.

Much better option than the cheap Chineese stuff.

Can you get HydroChoric acid over there?
AirJose
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by AirJose »

These recommendations are excellent, but If you are looking for cheaper good results. I have good luck with the popular rattle can engine paint. Preparation is always the key to good results. Bare metal, automotive primer and then paint. all available at your local auto parts store(sounds like an advertisement...) But then you can not put high pressure water hose to clean it as some have extra high pressure. Good Luck, Jose
bugsterkafer
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:30 am

Post by bugsterkafer »

I did mine few years ago and it did not rust or anything..yea I scratched it in some areas but that's me :roll:

I stripped them to bare metal, then applied reduced (15%) epoxy primer. I followed with my base coat and clear coat within an hour, this way the time window was okay without sanding the epoxy (depends on paint brands/specs) which I used as a sealer.

Hope this helps

cheers
Leo
User avatar
Lew
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 am

Post by Lew »

Duplicolor Engine Enamel Low Gloss looks good if it's stripped and primed properly. I recently did mine...... :D
red_rock_beetle
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: painting engine tin

Post by red_rock_beetle »

rattle can duplicolor i think, prep is key, i think it looks good, no blemishes, high temp engine enamel

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ ... 7b28ec.jpg
User avatar
volksbugly
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:09 am

Re: painting engine tin

Post by volksbugly »

I painted mine and they turned out well.

I cleaned them off best I could, then sanded and primed,
then primed and sanded,
then primed and sanded

then pained it with
http://www.krylon.com/products/outdoor_ ... ed_finish/
Black.

I like it, but I think if I did it again I would use the silver for better contrast
User avatar
SCOTTRODS
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am

Re: painting engine tin

Post by SCOTTRODS »

An Old Thread revived.....

I don't guess I need to tell you I powder coat mine (and others if they want to pay me to do it). I can match the factory paint pretty close and do wild colors as well. I guess I should get me some Spares for samples and offer up an exchange program or something..... That way I could sell solid German Tins, with Solid Powder Coating on them for a decent cost.... I might have to work on this as a side item.....
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Post Reply