Roll call
- 1982Vanagon
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:10 am
I have been on the forum for a while picking people's brains with my ideas and questions. Always good info here!
I have 1982 Westfalia Vanagon that I bought in Eastern Alabama. I drove it to Roswell, GA and kept it while I attempted to work on it without a clue. I moved to Cumming, GA where I did even less to it. I then moved to Gainesville, GA where I began the transformation. It has been 7 years since I bought it and I live in Kentucky now and the van is cruising right along... and no plans to move any time soon!
I'm always looking for ways to increase the reliability and longevity of my Type IV. I'm not as concerned about horsepower as I am longevity and mechanical reliability throughout my Vanagon.
I love driving my van and plan to for years.
I have 1982 Westfalia Vanagon that I bought in Eastern Alabama. I drove it to Roswell, GA and kept it while I attempted to work on it without a clue. I moved to Cumming, GA where I did even less to it. I then moved to Gainesville, GA where I began the transformation. It has been 7 years since I bought it and I live in Kentucky now and the van is cruising right along... and no plans to move any time soon!
I'm always looking for ways to increase the reliability and longevity of my Type IV. I'm not as concerned about horsepower as I am longevity and mechanical reliability throughout my Vanagon.
I love driving my van and plan to for years.
-
reluctantartist
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:17 am
Hi all. Looks like I'll be addicted to yet another forum. My wife already complains at times that I spend too much time on the Samba forums. I have a 1982 Vanagon Westy that I really enjoy and like 1982Vanagon posted I plan to keep her going for a long time. My ultimate hope is to get a Jake Raby kit eventually and put it in my westy. Anyway I am looking forward to seeing what people are doing with their type 4 projects on this forum.
-
SuperCool
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:53 am
Bought my daughter a 74 super last month had to rebuild the carb just to get it home. Being a noob I didn't know that the motor had been switched with a 64.
In need of a motor I stopped to bother an old guy who had some bug stuff lying around and drove home with 2 motors, a type 3 FI motor and a GE code Type 4. Started to look around for info (how much easier would my life be if I looked before buying!) found a wealth of information on STF and the Samba. I bounce between a build on the Type 3 and a relatively stock 2.0. Today the 2.0 is winning.
I need a relatively easy to maintain, dependable car for my daughter to drive that can maintain highway speeds and still get fair mileage. I have already purchased the Cali conversion manual and I am seriously considering a DTM.
I would like to keep it FI but I don't think the manifold would fit with upright cooling.
In need of a motor I stopped to bother an old guy who had some bug stuff lying around and drove home with 2 motors, a type 3 FI motor and a GE code Type 4. Started to look around for info (how much easier would my life be if I looked before buying!) found a wealth of information on STF and the Samba. I bounce between a build on the Type 3 and a relatively stock 2.0. Today the 2.0 is winning.
I need a relatively easy to maintain, dependable car for my daughter to drive that can maintain highway speeds and still get fair mileage. I have already purchased the Cali conversion manual and I am seriously considering a DTM.
I would like to keep it FI but I don't think the manifold would fit with upright cooling.
-
WünderBug
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:02 pm
Hi to all of you!
I`m a norwegian guy, 27 years of age, and new here.
Currently I`m doing a full restoration of my 69 mod. T1.
I also got a T4 as a sideproject, and hopefully one day the T1 and T4
will become one and join forces!
Haven`t been working to much on cars uptil now, the interest
for cars started growing when I were about 20.
So I were a bit late. Ironically enough, I`m actually working as
a mechanic! Not on cars but turbofan engines.
Fortunately I`m living in the oil capitol of Norway, and here we
have a very enthusiastic and active car scene. Not only VW,
all sorts of cars.
Anyway, I`m happy to be here and looking forward to get
to know you guys.
I`m a norwegian guy, 27 years of age, and new here.
Currently I`m doing a full restoration of my 69 mod. T1.
I also got a T4 as a sideproject, and hopefully one day the T1 and T4
will become one and join forces!
Haven`t been working to much on cars uptil now, the interest
for cars started growing when I were about 20.
So I were a bit late. Ironically enough, I`m actually working as
a mechanic! Not on cars but turbofan engines.
Fortunately I`m living in the oil capitol of Norway, and here we
have a very enthusiastic and active car scene. Not only VW,
all sorts of cars.
Anyway, I`m happy to be here and looking forward to get
to know you guys.
- brettm69
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:00 pm
noob
Hey guys, been loitering around here for awhile now. I just got a 914 1.7 EA case/heads & 2.0 crank/rods. This will be my first ever engine build. I'm taking it slow as money IS an issue. I've been an 'armchair' engine builder for many years and am very familiar with what's involved in a rebuild - the time, patience, effort and money required. I want to do it right the first time and be proud of my work, so I will be hanging around here sponging up anything I can from you guys.
thanks
Brett
thanks
Brett
- 72bajaben
- Posts: 1360
- Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm
Hello guys. i mainly hang out in the ORF. But im getting ready to drop a 002 and a 2.0 liter in my baja. Im really looking forward to it. Its a 1972 std. Right now im rocking a stock 1600 DP with a stock IRS trans. Im also getting ready to build up a pan for my baja. Its an ealry pan, not sure of the year, Im thinking a 6 over L/P beam and 2x3's. I think that will go along quite nice with my 3 rib and 2.0.
So once I get this motor in Im sure that I will have many questions.
Thanks
Ben
So once I get this motor in Im sure that I will have many questions.
Thanks
Ben
Semper Fidelis!
Build Thread
Build Thread
-
keirnbug
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:59 pm
Heyya all
Hi
Me ? I'm a big fan of most things VW, my latest project involves a Buggy and a type 4 CV engine, original FI installed in the bug and started
Other than that I also own a -77 Scirocco Gti, it is in it's 10.th year of rebuild
Oh, btw, I am Norwegian, but have the distinct pleasure of living in Sweden (Malmö).
/Ole aka Keirnbug
Me ? I'm a big fan of most things VW, my latest project involves a Buggy and a type 4 CV engine, original FI installed in the bug and started
Other than that I also own a -77 Scirocco Gti, it is in it's 10.th year of rebuild
Oh, btw, I am Norwegian, but have the distinct pleasure of living in Sweden (Malmö).
/Ole aka Keirnbug
-
User Name
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:34 pm
hi all
I'm mark
I'm old enough to know better
I've had a VW infatuation now for 24 years
I've owned 19 bugs, 2 411le's, 2 splitties, 5 bays, 3 vanagons, and a 16v mkII golf GTi
I currently own a '59 split bus {project}, and an '85 vanagon {dailydriver}
I'mtrying to source parts to build a budhet porsche cooled 2 ltr injection type IV motor
BUDGET being the operative word
I'm mark
I'm old enough to know better
I've had a VW infatuation now for 24 years
I've owned 19 bugs, 2 411le's, 2 splitties, 5 bays, 3 vanagons, and a 16v mkII golf GTi
I currently own a '59 split bus {project}, and an '85 vanagon {dailydriver}
I'mtrying to source parts to build a budhet porsche cooled 2 ltr injection type IV motor
BUDGET being the operative word
-
fireman9027
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:07 pm
I'm Dave I live in Rockledge FL and I'm a Fireman for Orlando Fire Dept. I bought a 71 bug in 1981 when I was in high school, abused it everyday, and it kept on runnin.
I got a 77 westy about a year ago, and want to get it into shap to camp with my kids one day. Twins, 5 months old now, so you know I'm on a budget!! Lurking here for a while, I'll be attempting a rebuild on my 2.0 soon, never done anything like this so we'll see how it goes!!
Dave
I got a 77 westy about a year ago, and want to get it into shap to camp with my kids one day. Twins, 5 months old now, so you know I'm on a budget!! Lurking here for a while, I'll be attempting a rebuild on my 2.0 soon, never done anything like this so we'll see how it goes!!
Dave
-
tvmax2000
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:50 am
Jim here. I am from Missouri but am working overseas att. Ran on to this site. I have done alot of various types of racing from drag bikes and cars to circle track and off road racing. I am now married and a little settled down. I still like to read on these types of forums. I have an engine I may be selling since the racing days are going to be behind me.
Nice to meet you all
Jim
Nice to meet you all
Jim
-
hearmyevil
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:18 pm
Re: Roll call
Hi every one my name is Brian Im 22 and drive a 68 Beetle with a type 4 engine and it has a T3 turbo soon to have a td04.I have it apart cleaning up the turbo setup.
-
LUBO
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:06 am
Re: Roll call
Alright. name's kev i'm over the pond in scotland. wanting to learn how to build my own performance type 4 engine for my camper. found my way here via the tunacan site(excellent). currently own
1981 westfalia camper 2.0cu aircooled
1989 golf gti 8 value
1983 santana gx 1.9 5 cylinder
1981 westfalia camper 2.0cu aircooled
1989 golf gti 8 value
1983 santana gx 1.9 5 cylinder
- Class 11 streeter
- Posts: 4083
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am
Re: Roll call
Welcome everyone, and belated welcomes to those that were here in the recent past. I am slacking as a mod at times.
Our little family just keeps getting more attention! Tell your friends!!!
Our little family just keeps getting more attention! Tell your friends!!!
- dave t
- Posts: 428
- Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:43 pm
Re: Roll call
Dave T. 43 Zeeland MI 49464 Printing by trade. T-4/2 1.7 CB code. 96 slip in on the way. Going to do an upright conversion... Thanks Dave T