Roll call

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Ataim
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: Roll call

Post by Ataim »

I'm just a regular guy with a rail buggy. I've had it for about 3 years now. I've only done a few things to since I bought it. Over this winter/holidays, I'm putting a T-4 motor in my buggy. I've found this forum to be the most informative on T-4's. Here are a few pics of it, the 411 that so grasiously donated its motor :roll: and my daily driver.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Manx1173
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:18 am

Re: Roll call

Post by Manx1173 »

Hey guys. I am new to shoptalkforums (spent most of my time on thesamba). I am in the planning/collecting parts stage of building a T4 upright engine for my Meyer Manx I buggy from a 1.7 914 engine. I look forward to picking all of your brains in the future and throughout my build.
Rheiny
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:19 am

Re: Roll call

Post by Rheiny »

I've been on for a couple of weeks or so, but think I introduced myself in another topic. Dop!

My real name is Rich, code name here, Rheiny. I live in Wisconsin (land of cheese, snow, Packers, peace, love an understanding-I'm still working on the happiness thing)

Been a car nut for most of my 64 years, but never, ever figured out how to make them work by myself.

So I made a decision last month. I traded my beloved BMW 2002tii (that I bought restored and it was so nice I hated to get it dirty-I know, cars are meant to be driven) for an engine-less, new Beck Speedster. I am going to force feed myself everything I can before it's "guittin' time for me", put a Type 4 upright conversion into this Speedster and say, "See, I should have done this along time ago!"...I HOPE.

I already have found a good donor engine for an excellent price, a '73 914 1.7 with a side shift transaxle attached (but not sure I will need it) since there is a Rancho Performance transaxle already installed. I need to get my brain around the mechanical end, sort out all the info overload here and elsewhere, focus on my application and get to work. I've picked up my copy of Jake Raby's Type 4 rebuild video (and watched at least twice so far), ordered my copy of Joe Cali's Conversion Manual (waiting for delivery), been reading all you guys have to offer and more, went to other sites and am enjoying it all. Now if I can just put it all together and produce something worthy of the effort.

Professionally I was an art director/graphic designer my whole career. Graduated from art school in '68, got drafted when I was 25 (low draft number and they would not give up on me), eventually doing a year in Saigon. Spent 23 plus years for a major brewery (not Bud, thank you very much) making things look real pretty so some of you guys would buy the stuff. Some of you I'm sure did. Thanks, now I can spend some of the retirement money on this stuff.

I'll attach a few pix and get back to reading more here and elsewhere. I look forward to hooking up with you guys (I don't fish) and benefitting from your much more mature mechanical aptitude than i currently have. the pictures show the BMW (now gone), the Beck Speedster and my other dream car that I just acquired in 7/09, a '86 911. To make the Speedster the way I want to, the 911 may have to bye-bye. I do not have a silver spoon nor a money tree in my back yard. If anyone has a spare, send a sappling my way.

Need I say more?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norm
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:01 am

Re: Roll call

Post by norm »

hi, ive been reading the forum for a year or two, but have only just joined. im form england, ive got a 1955 oval window beetle, which i am building a 2 litre type4 for, a stronger gearbox and front disc conversion. it will hopefully end up as a bit of a cal looker.

i chose the type 4 as was given a base engine for free, so decided to carb and cam it and see what happens.

my car
Image

dry build of engine
Image

this is my motor part way through the build up, however thinking of going for bigger barrels and pistons, and maybe different cam. now has exhuast muffler re tig-welded to fit really nicely in with the header, and the correct pulley wheel.

thanks, norm
User avatar
56T4
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Roll call

Post by 56T4 »

Hi Guys.My name is Nick and I'm from sunny South Australia.I've been into VWs for coming up on 30 years,except for a brief period of 2 wheeled fun,injuries and adventure.It all started with with a 62 baja,then 4 or 5 splittys, more Beetles,the odd type3 then more beetles.The current fleet runs to a 56Oval with 1911cc t4,a 67 kombi,64 beetle and the wifes Golf VR6.The Oval is a lot of fun,the little motor is making 90rwhp on the dyno and bags of torque but then we all know about the grunt factor always an eye opener for the T1 guys for what is a pretty well stock motor.Wide five discs,Type3 drums,narrowed beam with adjusters and drop spindles and a 3.88RP all make for a fun drive.This forum has inspired me to go bigger,probably 2718 hopefully in the near future.Will keep you posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
retsgard
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Roll call

Post by retsgard »

Hi i'm from the UK, i've owned most types, type3/split van/ovals etc.

Right now i'm driving a 74 baywindow which i'm pretty sure will be staying a long time, i can't afford and don't have the time to keep chopping and changing anymore. I usually use type 1 engines but fancy giving the type4 a go.

I've picked up a 1700 914 motor with twin dellorto 40s so for now any questions will be related to this and upright cooling!

cheers
Almost Alive
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:25 am

Re: Roll call

Post by Almost Alive »

Hey guys, looks like I've posted in just about every other section of the site except the reason I joined here!
I'm Corey, I joined here based on NextGen Joe's suggestion.
I've currently got a 66' bus I am putting a 2.0L T4 upright conversion in over the summer and I'm trying to gather the knowledge to due so.
I'm not new to T1's but I have yet to even fuss with a T4.... should be interesting.
ai17828
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Roll call

Post by ai17828 »

Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to the forum. The reason I joined is because I recently purchased a sandrail that has a T4 or T3 pancake engine. I am attempting to educate myself on this engine because I did buy it with a couple of needed fixes (i.e. oil leaks, reverse gear pops out, etc). Oil leaks have been fixed (the major ones). I am currently researching the site to figure out if I should buy another transmission or just rebuild the current one. If I decide to buy another transmission then I want to know which transmission will fit with the 2.0 T3 or T4 engine.

I live in Southern California and enjoy the outdoors (i.e. camping, motorcycling and now sandrailing).
User avatar
Rikard
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Roll call

Post by Rikard »

Hi everyone. My name is Rikard and I live in Stockholm, Sweden.
I'm rebuilding a 2.0L CV engine to put into my 1977 bus. I've done a couple of stock rebuilds, but this time I want a bit more power. How difficult can it be, I asked myself and started to figure out how to build the engine... but the more I read the more it seems that I have to learn :D

Anyway, I had my account quite a while now but I didn't have a good place to do my rebuild so I haven't been active at all. But now I have a really good, but small place to do the rebuild so I want to get started right now!

/rikard
1977 Bus, 2.0L Type 4 engine, webcam 107i
MS2 Extra, direct fire EDIS Coil
User avatar
gunslinger
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:50 am

Re: Roll call

Post by gunslinger »

Hi my names Stuart, from UK and I run a big bore 2.4 (CU) in a 1982 T25 (Vanagon) with twin Dell orto carbs. Whilst general performance is hugely improved it has led to some problems.
I would like a better understanding of how I can improve the oil cooling as after 18 months it seems a piston or 2 may have picked up due to poor lubrication.
Looking forward to picking up some great advice.

Stu

Image

Image
Dubmatix
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: Roll call

Post by Dubmatix »

Hi All
I found this forum after doing a bit of digging around for info on Type 4 motors as i have one in my bus. It's just developed a problem so i have actually needed to post a question rather than just read for a change.

I'm UK based and here's a pic of my stock bus. I'm trying to keep things as stock a possible at least visibly but i would consider a cam swap if it improves driveability. The motor is a 2.0, CJ with everything stock except a pertronix module and s/s twin outlet silencer box.

Image

Great forum and thanks for the advice so far!

Cheers

John
Superbug
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Roll call

Post by Superbug »

Hi all! My name is Zach, I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and I am working on my 74' 1303 german looker. I have a lot of work ahead of me and being a senior engineering student, I don't have a whole lot of free time. I am doing my research as this is my first project car, and I have decided upon building a T4! Looking at building up a 103x76, with port/polished 1.8 heads, and a 002 transaxle. I would love to have gobs of low end torque to race monthly autocross or at my local circuit, but also want to be able to cruise long distances! I definitely have a lot more learning to do, but STF is an awesome resource! See you guys around!
eaterofdog
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:26 am

Re: Roll call

Post by eaterofdog »

67 Sand Shark with a 1.7L T4 installed. Needed lots of tuning but runs awesome now.

Image

Image
Last edited by eaterofdog on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Sneaks
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Re: Roll call

Post by Sneaks »

Hey, my name is Scott and I usually hang out in the ORF with my 68 baja but recently I've acquired a 1979 Bus with it's original T4. The bus is pretty solid and the motor is complete. I can get it to run with a spray of gas in the intake. Now, I need to sort out how to get the FI repaired so it will run under it's own power. The plan is to keep it close to stock and my daughter wants to use it to go back and forth from school. I'm a T4 novice so I have lots of reading to do, wish me luck!
DannyK
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: Roll call

Post by DannyK »

Hey, Dan here. I'm usually in Thing 181 or O.R. I just bought a rusty but complete '79 Baywindow Bus with a supposedly good 2 liter type IV engine and trans. I don't know yet if I'll rebuild/restore, put the motor in another Baywindow or convert it to upright w/ carbs and cam for my Thing or a dunebuggy project. It was just too cheap to pass up. For now, the body can be a storage shed for some of the stuff in my garage that's in the way. 8) Image
Post Reply