Page 8 of 138
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 am
by CopperBaja
I picked up my baja on Wed night last week.
Pics!
I cleaned up the cargo area a bit this weekend and am going to get the back window in and start with carpet. (I have to remember to lay down speaker wire before I lay down the carpet.
I plan to use "Weather Wrap" on the floors for sound deadening.
For carpet, I'm going to use some outdoor stuff that Lowe's sells. Figure it will be cheap, easily replaceable, won't fade....oh...did I mention cheap?
It's the same stuff that I used to put in the back of the Caliber cargo area. It will be easy to vacuum sand and dirt, as well.
What's the best to put on the firewall section? Right now there's some fiberglass-like stuff there.... I want to soundproof and need some sort of firewall-protection. On the exterior, by the engine, I was thinking of putting the stuff that under most car hoods, covered by either a plain stainless or louvered cover.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:54 am
by CopperBaja
Found more stuff to do this week.
Note that I have a 009 and electronic points.
I've been having trouble setting the timing and keeping it running. When I try to adjust the carb per procedures:
http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html
With the fast idle screw ~3 turns out, it gets down to 850 rpm and wants to die. Then I turn the Bypass screw ccw and once it gets back to 1000/1200 rpm, it seems to idle fine.
Now I know why:
http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/bosch009.htm
(or I think I know why

)
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 pm
by CopperBaja
QUESTION: Is there a rubber seal for the hood???
It didn't have one when I got it and I haven't ran across a thread that says anything about adding a seal when converting to the baja kit.
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:35 pm
by rickosuave1987
I heard you can use a stock hood seal and just cut of the extra.
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:47 am
by CopperBaja
rickosuave1987 wrote:I heard you can use a stock hood seal and just cut of the extra.
Thanks Rick!
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:51 am
by Leatherneck
Copper, your doing a great job on this, aren't you going to coilovers in the back?
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:58 am
by CopperBaja
Leatherneck wrote:Copper, your doing a great job on this, aren't you going to coilovers in the back?
Thanks.
I'm leaving it to chance and budget.... If I come across a good deal on 3x3s and coilovers, then I will get them. Otherwise I will stay stock or upgrade to the boxed arms that I have.
I can't afford a grand right now to throw down on a kit, however....with the cagework I had done, all I need is to add an upright when I add the mount for the 3x3s.
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:45 pm
by bajaherbie
copper, that gugy did a great job on the seat install but i still say leatherneck is never going to fit back there.....

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:17 pm
by CopperBaja
bajaherbie wrote:copper, that gugy did a great job on the seat install but i still say leatherneck is never going to fit back there.....

And they did it in just under 2 days...probably while working on other stuff. They had it finished way sooner than expected. Great shop.
JP Designs, here in Santee. jps1145? I think is his screen name recommended them. Good prices and outstanding work.

Tonight
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 pm
by CopperBaja
Pic from cleaning up the rust and my welded holes....well 2 of them.
Then I decided to start the sound deadener. I'm using "Weather Wrap" from Lowes...or Home Depot....I think it was Lowes....it's been sitting on my shelf in my garage for about a year...

It didn't melt there and it gets over 110* in there in the summer, so I think it will be good for the horizontal areas.
Don't know if you can see, but in this pic, I used some mastik to fill in a couple of screw holes in the vertical area, under the cargo tray....I can only assume they were used for the back seat. I should have taken more pics during my teardown......
Anyone know where to get the best deal on Brownbread or Dynamat or Fatmat....whatever...they're all the same, right?
Also, I need to know what is common to use for the back firewall for fire protection and sound deadening???
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:59 am
by CopperBaja
More Progress!
My buddy got my spacer done. Then after waiting for so long, I find that the local VeeParts sells them.
Installed it
I know...I don't NEED gasket sealer, but I used 2 gaskets and want to see if the gasket sealer on the bottom one will keep the spacer connected when/if I take off the carb.
Also while I had the carb off, I modded the throttle plate, as per this link:
http://www.aircooledtech.com/34pict3_modification/
It looks exactly the same and since I had carb cleaner all over my hands, I didn't take any pics....
All together.
Apparently the manifold gaskets are about as rusty as the rest of the exhaust.... I'm going to need to replace them. ...eventually.
I started to work on the plate to cover the gap after the bodylift, but I ran out of gas, so my weld looks pretty shoddy....I'll grind it down and clean it up after I get more gas. (Herbie...heard you have alot of gas...can I bum some?

)

even more progress!
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:36 pm
by CopperBaja
See the glue on the headliner beneath the rear window?
How is the carpet normally attached? Just glued to everything? Or is there something that goes there?
For those that have carpet....how did you do it?
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 am
by rickosuave1987
I used spray adhesive to install the carpet in my uncles baja.
With the sound stuff you are using, I would use contact cement to glue down the carpet. I used spray adhesive and had to redo a couple spots where it was coming up.
Pic:
I thought I had more, but I guess not. Sorry.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:06 am
by CopperBaja
So you got your back window installed?
...or is this an older pic?
Did you use a kit for your carpet?
I have some "Heavy Duty Interior Adhesive" that I plan to use over the Flashing. If it doesn't work, I'll look for something stronger.
If you notice, there is some fiberglass stuff....at least that's what I think it is.
I was wondering if something goes over that.
I'm not doing the wheel wells and I think I'm going to spring for Dynomat for the quarterpanels and door panels.
Hoping to start carpet tonight!

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 am
by rickosuave1987
CopperBaja wrote:So you got your back window installed?
...or is this an older pic?
Its my uncle's white baja I was working on for him. My windows are still out.
Did you use a kit for your carpet?
Used this kit:
LINK
If you notice, there is some fiberglass stuff....at least that's what I think it is.
I was wondering if something goes over that.
Fiberglass? Where?