Pulled the rear trailing arms off. Figured it was just as easy to swap arms between the two cars since both have relatively new bearings, and I don't really need the Type4 CV's on the street car. Now I have two sets of everything for both cars.
Finally tore these down today. Surely one of these will make a sweet little engine. I'm thinking something between 1776 and 1915. I want it to get me over the mountain passes at a decent clip (say 70 in 4th, stock geared '75 trans) and retain heater boxes, even if they're not the stock ones. I'm off to Art's on Monday to have them checked out, get a recommendation on a build, do the machining, and likely have him gather parts for me.
Dropped it all off today. Three cases, cranks, and flywheels, two sets of good(ish) heads, two sets of stock rods. Neither Art nor the machinist was there, but Dave the carb guy was pretty sure a 1915 is what Art'll recommend.
No vehicle work today, I promised my friends I'd clean the robotics workshop out of the kitchen. BBQ dinner last night was a bit cramped. Hey, at least the dirt bike's out of there and back in the garage.
yeah i got caught w/ a dremel in teh bathroom sink and compass module on the counter. They say electronics takes up less space than car stuff, but I'm not convinced.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Art's convinced that a 1776 is the way to go for this car. Who am I to argue? He says it'll be a great combo of power, mileage, and allow me to retain stock heat, all important for this build.
So, he's machining one case, cleaning up the crank and flywheel, and rebuilding the heads, and regrind one of my stock cam cores and resurface some stock lifters into his "special recipe", which sounds something like CB's cheater cam (as far as outcomes). Not sure what to do for carbeuration yet. I have a few spare Zenith's lying around, or maybe I'll get a set of Kad's.
The coolest thing was that Art was excited to hear that I was building my first motor and said he'd be there to help me the whole way through, just call with any questions. I thought he'd be disappointed to lose the revenue from the actual build, but it sounds like they're extremely busy.
Sounds like a good combo. I know from experience that a 1776 can be built to make some pretty serious power. Its all about the heads and cam Art is good people and he knows his stuff.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.