Page 8 of 10
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:45 am
by my_medusa
don't buy expensive drillbits buy this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stahlwille-11 ... 483d72e933
its just an example they are more cheap normally.
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:06 am
by 1938vw
Cheers for the advice buddy, but my last set of bits cost me less than £5

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:10 am
by my_medusa
but in which steps. any carb guy should have those reamers. how many carbs i did in the last years and never bought a jet

just soldering and reaming. from stock carbs to bike carb on my supercharged engines..stepless adjusting.
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:27 am
by 1938vw
This is the last carb I EVER want to work with

it's too technical for my brain!
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:29 am
by 1938vw
I must say though 1 jet is £10 and that set of readers is £40 so it's cheaper than buying jets by far!
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:35 am
by my_medusa
how i told this is an example i paid 18 euros for mine. they should be under 30 euros.
it's on you
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:51 am
by Clonebug
Post a picture of the jet.
It might be the same as another solex jet.
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:18 am
by 1938vw

It's about 4mm wide 6mm long
Best pic I have at the moment sorry
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:03 am
by 1938vw
Ha ha that looks aweful on here!
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:34 am
by Clonebug
That looks like a standard Solex main jet but I would bet money that the thread size is larger.
Measure the size of thread but I think the VW bus dual solex carbs have the same air corrector jets in them. I might have one here since I stripped one of those carbs and kept all the screws and jets.
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 am
by 1938vw
It's smaller than my solex main jet. That picture is very deceiving the clear rubber makes the top look bigger than the thread when it isn't really. Sorry.
Anyways it's no problem if I drill it to 1.2 and it's too much I will drill it out a bit more, solder it up and redrill it back to 1.0 though I do think 1.2 will be spot on.
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:04 am
by Clonebug
All you can do is give it a try......
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:20 am
by Boardpaul
So did you go for it?
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:41 pm
by 1938vw
Not yet buddy won't have the time till next weekend, maybe even after that as a buddy needs me to fit a clutch for him!
Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:21 pm
by 1938vw
Soooo, started from scratch with the carb.
The jets are now:
Idle 55
Main 130
Air corrector 115 (had to sand down a 120 drill measure repeat etc)
It's amazing now. Afr goes into the 11.5 range on full boost in forth but is easy to drive and has some grunt now.
It did however lean right out on me twice. I let off for a bit and it was fine. From what the renault boys have said in the past with thier setups, If you in large the jets the needle valve can't supply enough fuel to keep the bowl full so it needs enlarging.
That would make sense as it only does it when I give it right foot for some time like in all gears till it nearly tops out.
So that's next on my list of to do's