What did you do to your turbo today?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
User avatar
seabeebuggy
Posts: 3582
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:25 am

Post by seabeebuggy »

Some time soon I will start retuning my engine. It runs ok , boost is slow to build and very rich. When my alki comes on it bogs the engine. I now have a list or things to do. I also get my new home today. Or at least it closes and I still need to wait up to 2 weeks for the sellers to move out.
www.BigMikesGuns.com oe https://www.BMGAA.com
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
Odyknuck
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:05 pm

Post by Odyknuck »

Well I hope that the Turbo is the only thing gone and the smoke out the exhaust was oil burning from the Turbo and not the engine. It was smoking quite a bid when you let off the throttle. When I took the turbo apart there was fresh oil under the impeller. There is a little smoke coming from the crankcase breathers. Glad to see the Home closing.
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Post by miniman82 »

Not VW, but still air cooled. :D
Did some polishing, added the sticker to the air cleaner, and installed the turbo heat shield. The Corvair is starting to look nice in the engine bay.
Image
Image
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Wally »

Like it!
Thats a cool 'second' car to have.
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Post by miniman82 »

Wally wrote:Like it!
Thats a cool 'second' car to have.

More like third...

Just pulled my first love out of storage; Gotta figure out how to fit a turbo Geo Metro engine into my 1972 Mini Cooper. :?
Image
User avatar
MinamiKotaro
Posts: 2071
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:26 am

Post by MinamiKotaro »

Some pics of my new setup:

Image
The whole engine. Went back to the 2x48 CB TB.

Image
Ford plug wires with retaining clips.

Image
Vacuum manifold.

Image
New EDIS wheel mounting. Looks better, too.

Image
Better mount for the Tru-Boost. It was just zip-tied on before.

Image
CB dune-buggy throttle cable. Much better then the bellcrank we had. MUCH. Also, "LETHAL VOLTAGE".

Image
George II
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Post by miniman82 »

Heh, nice vacuum manifold! :lol:
That's how I would have done it, but instead I opted for a single line Tee'd off about 6 times to the various things-boost controller, MS, BOV.... :oops:


Hey, I thought you said the dual TB intake wasn't working very well for you?
Image
User avatar
MarioVelotta
Posts: 4086
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:01 am

Post by MarioVelotta »

Yeah, what's up with the intake stuff? I thought you went to the plenum with a 50mm tb?

Did you just sandwich all the part together for your trigger wheel?

Cool you got your tru boost working.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Wally »

MinamiKotaro wrote:
Image
Ford plug wires with retaining clips.
Nice!
What do these look like at the other end? I need a different set too. Where did you buy these?

Tnx,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
MinamiKotaro
Posts: 2071
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:26 am

Post by MinamiKotaro »

miniman82 wrote:I opted for a single line Tee'd off about 6 times to the various things-boost controller, MS, BOV.... :oops:
That's how it was before. It's unreal how much better everything works with the manifold. The MAP signal is so steady it brings a tear to my eye.
MarioVelotta wrote:Did you just sandwich all the part together for your trigger wheel?
At first, but it wouldn't get tight enough. It's JB Welded, now. Going to put at least one setscrew in it as well.
MarioVelotta wrote:Cool you got your tru boost working.
I think it works. Increasing the PWM from 10 to 20 took me from ~7 to ~8 lbs boost, increasing PWM from 20 to 30 only got me to ~8.5 lbs boost. Perhaps the wastegate spring is just that wimpy? I know the spring crack setting works, at least, because the turbo spools way, way faster now that I've turned it up.
Hey, I thought you said the dual TB intake wasn't working very well for you?

Yeah, what's up with the intake stuff? I thought you went to the plenum with a 50mm tb?
Now that I've got the better throttle cable instead of the homemade bellcrank, the CB TB works quite well. Generally knowing how to tune MS better helps, too.

According to my G-tech (which we all know is sooo accurate :roll: ), I'm trapping 110 in the 1/4 mile. Realistically, I'd say more like 103, which is as fast as it was before, except that now I'm running literally half as much boost to do it.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
Master slacker
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 4:23 am

Post by Master slacker »

MinamiKotaro wrote:Some pics of my new setup:

Image
New EDIS wheel mounting. Looks better, too.
Why is your belt inside out? :?
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Post by miniman82 »

It's not, it's just ribbed on the outside for Minami's pleasure! :shock:

Those are the belts people can't use on Corvairs, because it will come off. Corvairs must use smooth belts, but VW's can use pretty much anything-VW belts don't make 4 90* turns on thier way around. :wink:


:lol:
Image
User avatar
MinamiKotaro
Posts: 2071
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:26 am

Post by MinamiKotaro »

Master slacker wrote:Why is your belt inside out? :?
That's the way it's supposed to be.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
User avatar
MinamiKotaro
Posts: 2071
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:26 am

Post by MinamiKotaro »

Wally wrote:Nice!
What do these look like at the other end? I need a different set too. Where did you buy these?

Tnx,
Walter
I got them at Autozone. They're for a Crown Vic. I'll get some pics of the plug ends sometime today.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Post by miniman82 »

Those damn things are expensive! I think I paid more than $100 for my set of Duralasts! :shock: Lesson learned, I'm pulling used wires from the junkyard from now on.
Image
Post Reply