Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
-
JUSSUMGUY
- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:23 pm
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
When you can, post up what parts you need. I, for one, have a bunch of parts at very reasonable( cheap) prices for a STF'er.
-
Volksmeister
- Posts: 194
- Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:23 am
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
Sorry to hear it man. I'm with STOICH on this, let us know what you need.
-Levi
-Levi
I'm not who I am!
-
Chris V
- Posts: 3416
- Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
Insurance adjuster should be by today to get the ball rolling I hope...
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 9377_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 9377_n.jpg
-
Chris V
- Posts: 3416
- Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
Well, I've got an offer (preliminary estimate) on the table that should cover nearly all time/labor based on the damage, as well as get the one wheel re-finished and take the car into a shop for a proper alignment once repaired...I guess I'll begin to tear into the car tomorrow before accepting to see if we've under-estimated the damage, I'm counting on the transmission and brakes being unharmed - maybe a final-drive flange and a bleeder that's too tight
I've even been offered a tow to take it upto my buddy's independent shop to have him perform the work if desired.
Has anyone got experience with ordering from these guys? http://www.thingsforthething.com/catalog/
Has anyone got experience with ordering from these guys? http://www.thingsforthething.com/catalog/
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
Bummer Chris but looking forward to seeing all that is screwed and how you fix it.
-
Chris V
- Posts: 3416
- Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
Well, upon taking the half-shaft out and putting on a spare tire - I found some damage done to the tire from rubbing on the chassis. The insurance is dragging - they're disputing replacing the tires and after sending them a photo they still want me to take it to a shop for a professional opinion about how badly it has been damaged - because in their eyes it's a truck tire and it can handle the damage... Even though when asking about the source of replacement parts in the past it was made clear no 'used' parts would be accepted - and only 'rebuilt' parts could be found acceptable if no new components were available.
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
Ask the insurance rep to sign a contract stating that he will be held responsible for all damages or deaths resulting from tire failure.
-
Chris V
- Posts: 3416
- Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
Insurance requested an inspection from a tire shop - where it passed effortlessly at Discount - who basically said it's black, round, and holds air. Took it to Les Schwab for dismount and closer inspection - to which it still passed. So I went ahead and bought some Yoko Geolanders (still 30x9.5) on my own dime for peace of mind.
~~~I need an early 'twin-spring plate' IRS passenger diaganol arm, a 181 axle shaft, a 181 stub axle, T-IV CV's, a pair of boots. I should be able to order new bearings and seals locally through Dad.
Thinking about going a different route with my spare tire too...right now it's 5x205, and the rear is 4x130. If I've got a 4-lug spare wheel, it'll bolt directely to the rear - and for front fitment just have to pack around a spare 4-lug drum w/races.
~~~I need an early 'twin-spring plate' IRS passenger diaganol arm, a 181 axle shaft, a 181 stub axle, T-IV CV's, a pair of boots. I should be able to order new bearings and seals locally through Dad.
Thinking about going a different route with my spare tire too...right now it's 5x205, and the rear is 4x130. If I've got a 4-lug spare wheel, it'll bolt directely to the rear - and for front fitment just have to pack around a spare 4-lug drum w/races.
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
Sucks about the tire, well now you have a spare shop tire or burn out tire but good choice on replacing it.
I am not a fan of the wheel adapters but for a spare I might use one instead of carting around a extra drum.
I am not a fan of the wheel adapters but for a spare I might use one instead of carting around a extra drum.
- TimS
- Posts: 5723
- Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
I have two wide 5 wheel to four lug drum adapters if you need instead of packing around a spare drum. Let me know.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
-
Chris V
- Posts: 3416
- Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
Thanks for the offer, what do those adapters use for hardware on both patterns? I've got a mixture of bolt patterns,studs (M14 studs up front, M14x1/2x20 conversion studs on back), and nuts (ball seat, and shouldered mag)- PITA really...But I like the styling of the BTR's and the Ansens for some reason.
I've got a pair of Superior 15x5.5 slotted mags in 4x130 I could, *cough, cough* should use up front instead of the BTR's I guess...They'd actually match the Ansens on back closer and make carrying a spare a breeze. But I'm pretty sure that won't happen
I've got a pair of Superior 15x5.5 slotted mags in 4x130 I could, *cough, cough* should use up front instead of the BTR's I guess...They'd actually match the Ansens on back closer and make carrying a spare a breeze. But I'm pretty sure that won't happen
-
Chris V
- Posts: 3416
- Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
SO...what do ya'll think of going 3x3's, what would I need, 26mm torsions and 19-1/4" axles? Type I trans still...too much effort to to a Bus trans...I'd rather work on my Bus.
- TimS
- Posts: 5723
- Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
The one's I have are just flat plate about 1/2" thick. It uses the stock four-lug bolts in teh center (I'm sure your current studs would work), and it uses the stock 5-lug bolts on the outside. I'll send pics if needed.Chris V wrote:Thanks for the offer, what do those adapters use for hardware on both patterns? I've got a mixture of bolt patterns,studs (M14 studs up front, M14x1/2x20 conversion studs on back), and nuts (ball seat, and shouldered mag)- PITA really...But I like the styling of the BTR's and the Ansens for some reason.
I've got a pair of Superior 15x5.5 slotted mags in 4x130 I could, *cough, cough* should use up front instead of the BTR's I guess...They'd actually match the Ansens on back closer and make carrying a spare a breeze. But I'm pretty sure that won't happen
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
- turbobaja
- Posts: 2826
- Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:56 pm
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
3x3's need a wider front end to make it all come together, plus you gotta redesign the upper/lower shock mounts for them to work. I was ....encouraged to keep my suspension ~stock since it would be primarily driven on-road. Once you start stretching things out and working towards more travel the sky is the limit. Your baja gets around pretty good as-is, or as-was I guessChris V wrote:SO...what do ya'll think of going 3x3's, what would I need, 26mm torsions and 19-1/4" axles? Type I trans still...too much effort to to a Bus trans...I'd rather work on my Bus.
Karl
DON'T QUIT
DON'T QUIT
- CentralWAbaja
- Posts: 4291
- Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm
Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")
I am kinda with you here. I had forgoten how much fun a basically stock suspension baja is. As much as I wanna start messing with the old car, I know where that will headturbobaja wrote:3x3's need a wider front end to make it all come together, plus you gotta redesign the upper/lower shock mounts for them to work. I was ....encouraged to keep my suspension ~stock since it would be primarily driven on-road. Once you start stretching things out and working towards more travel the sky is the limit. Your baja gets around pretty good as-is, or as-was I guessChris V wrote:SO...what do ya'll think of going 3x3's, what would I need, 26mm torsions and 19-1/4" axles? Type I trans still...too much effort to to a Bus trans...I'd rather work on my Bus.. Keep the Baja simple and pimp out the Bus.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!