Page 9 of 17
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:20 pm
by JUSSUMGUY
1776's rock

I have zero complaints with mine........
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:36 pm
by kyle_pc_75
JUSSUMGUY wrote:1776's rock

I have zero complaints with mine........
Was that what was pushing us around this weekend? Nice motor.
Art's done with the machine work and parts gathering, going to pick it up tomorrow. I cleaned out the little dining area in my house and set up a workspace and the engine stand. I guess being single again has it's benefits. It is the cleanest room in the house.

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:12 pm
by JUSSUMGUY
We need pics!
Yes, that is what was pushing us around this weekend
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:48 pm
by kyle_pc_75
Since there are a lot of people wondering, here's the breakdown of the rebuild costs:
Case work: $250 for full flowed, cut for 90.5's, etc.
Crank regrind and press gears: $200
Rebuild heads: $300
Rebuild rods: $95
Regrind flywheel: $70
Regrind cam to ACE spec: $70
Regrind lifters: $50
Total: $1035 + parts.
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:44 pm
by kyle_pc_75
Set up shop today, blew out the case, oil passages, etc. just to be absolutely sure. Art suggested building using straight 30 weight non-detergent oil and run that for break in as well, no additives necessary. Assembly lube on the cam and lifters only. He and Justin claim it's pretty hard to screw up a mild 1776 like this.
I've decided I'm just going to run the same Zenith I was when it was a 1600 in the Baja. I already have the modded manifold and preheat setup. I'll probably just have Dave at ACE make sure the throttle shaft is tight and re-bush if needed.

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:17 pm
by bajaherbie
ahhhh, the single life.......
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 pm
by JUSSUMGUY
X2
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:24 pm
by kyle_pc_75
It's a carb rebuilding bench today. I think having 5 Zeniths between two cars is too much, unless I were running duals. Bajamungus has one installed, plus I have the one that was on the 1600 before which are in good running condition.
Shortie gets to pick one of the three remaining ones (or the best combo of parts from them) PLUS a brand new short accelerator pump and whatever jets he needs, which still leaves me two spares. I was going to make him pay for it until I remembered his floorpans are on my car, and being welded in place, he ain't getting them back! Not to mention the ride in 936 at Ely. I don't care what anyone says, those were the best 14 miles of my life! Wait, adding all that up, I think I still owe him.

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:03 pm
by kyle_pc_75
EDIT: DO NOT USE THIS CLEANER, NOT SAFE FOR ALUMINUM. D'oh, see the update a few posts down.
Shortie gets the one on the top left. It's in great condition, even the throttle shaft feels tight. Got it cleaned up using this stuff (diluted with about 75% water):
Works excellently and fast. Just be careful with it, it's definitely corrosive. Long sleeves, gloves, good ventilation, and eye protection are all vital. The carb won't look like new or anything you'd get with a shop process, but it's clean.
Now for the fun part...reassembly!
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:26 pm
by Qurtys Lyn
How're the other two? They workable, or just good as spare parts.
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:16 pm
by 1966bajabug
I also better get shotgun on the first ride!

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:58 pm
by kyle_pc_75
Qurtys Lyn wrote:How're the other two? They workable, or just good as spare parts.
Both useable. They're staying in my stable.
1966bajabug wrote:I also better get shotgun on the first ride!

Which car?

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:01 pm
by 1966bajabug
depends. lol
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:24 pm
by kyle_pc_75
Always read your warning labels twice. I was starting to see a slight film, which then turned to a powdery substance, build up on the carb body. It wipes right off, and the surface is smooth underneath, but we all know how fussy carbs can be. Turns out this stuff is not safe for Aluminum, lol. I can only guess that it corroded the outer layer of Al, god knows what's lurking in the passages. I don't think it's junk, but it's now relegated to backup status until I can give it another good cleaning. Good thing I have extra carbs. Shortie, you get one of the super clean ones now. Good news is the base is cast iron, so you still get the tight throttle shaft.
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:22 pm
by 1966bajabug
Now I just need to find an intake!