Making progress...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

You two mind setting up a ** FAQ** thread on brakes so we can collect info on this?
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

I started my wiring install yesterday. Here are some initial shots.
Image
Image
Image
You can see the brake line and clutch line routing in the last picture...

I also started installing the rear shocks...
Image
Image
Image

I figure the wiring should end up being around 40 hours to complete, not counting the multiple trips to the store for more connectors, wire, shrink tubing etc... I want to take my time with the wiring so it comes out very clean.
User avatar
anzan
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Post by anzan »

The car is looking great! What will you do for e brake? Also, what (if anything) will you do for rear fenders. I need to come up with some rear fenders myself.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

anzan wrote:The car is looking great! What will you do for e brake? Also, what (if anything) will you do for rear fenders. I need to come up with some rear fenders myself.
anzan wrote:Man, your car is such an inspiration to me! What are you going to do about rear fenders? Looking forward to hearing about the shakedown cruise...
Will one of you guys please help this man out?

anzan, take a look at David58bug's fenders.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Looking great there Skidmark. My 65 shell's wiring harness is in great shape I plan to update the fuse panel to new style fuses and am looking for a fuse box the has the screws in it to connect the wires. This pic below is correct except for the type of fuse I want to use.
Image
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Leatherneck wrote: Will one of you guys please help this man out?
anzan, take a look at David58bug's fenders.
Image
Go to:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
for more pics.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
anzan
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Post by anzan »

Thanks for the pic David, That is some fender! But, I think those 'high riders' are more of what I had in mind.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

anzan wrote:Thanks for the pic David, That is some fender! But, I think those 'high riders' are more of what I had in mind.
That is not a fender that is one of those fangdangled rear bra's
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

I have bought a set of high mount fenders at Moore Parts that have not been mounted yet...
User avatar
anzan
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Post by anzan »

Skidmark wrote:I have bought a set of high mount fenders at Moore Parts that have not been mounted yet...
pics?
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

Image

They mount above the stock location. You have to drill your own holes and provide the mounting hardware. I am going to use a threaded insert like this...

http://www.avkfasteners.com/Products/AKProductPage.htm

I already have the installation tool at my work, which makes it an easy decision. If you don't have the tool, you will need to get one to use these.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Skid is that kinda like driving in a wheel stud in the hub? Cool idea, how tight can you cinch it down without it stripping/turning?
User avatar
anzan
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Post by anzan »

Skid, Those are exactly what I want. The tool you refer to is
'AVK’s spin/spin ARO pneumatic tools and our SPP™ pneumatic/hydraulic tools.' I don't have a clue...
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

You don't have to use air powered for these, they make a manual tool - like a pop rivet gun. It collapses the main body, pulling the threaded portion toward the surface of installation. It "crimps" itself onto the sheet you are installing it into.

http://www.avkfasteners.com/tools/handtools.htm

David, these don't screw into the work piece... you drill a hole, insert the fastener, and then crimp the fastener to the work piece with the tool. The knurled body sandwiches the workpiece, so it will resist spinning when tightening a screw into it after installation.
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Skidmark wrote: I also started installing the rear shocks...
Image
Come on skid, like we dont already know whats under the towel :roll:
Haha. Its looking good. Shock setup looks clean with the boots.
Post Reply