Re: Powdercoat
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:52 pm
SCOTTRODS, thanks for taking the time to post this info. Hopefully somebody will be close to your area to throw some business your way.
As Far as Iron Phosphate, or conversion chemicals, They were originally used as a way to avoid Media blasting parts that would be going on a Line coating system. Blasting is a huge labor cost item, and eliminating it, companies saved a massive amount using automated chemical conversion systems, including heated, spray-on, and rinse systems.... not many people needed and it is a FAST solution for production parts.Clatter wrote:A friend of mine was dissing the local powdercoater for not using a Phosphate wash, after blasting, prior to powder.
How important is that?
Also, the local powdercoat guy was saying that i was wasting my time by bead blasting the parts myself beforehand.
If i would have brought him the parts still painted (but clean) he would have charged me the same.
Says that he has to do them completely again anyway, so no money saved...
His work looks good, has lasted a long time, and he masks off the threaded holes and stuff well.
Still, I'm suspicious...
Any pros out there got an answer to these?
I couldn't tell you about the "Ospho", but I can tell you,.... if you wouldn't wash your kids hands with it,.... don't put it on the powder coated parts. PC is pretty robust, but it still has it's Kryptonites.... Most solvents are no good for powder. The one thing I have had really good luck in powder, that paint doesn't seem to handle, is brake fluid.... I wouldn't wash my powder coated parts with brake fluid, but it seems to handle the exposure/contact really well.Clatter wrote:After reading the rust thread,
I can't help but want to wash down my freshly coated parts with some Ospho...
This should get in all of the cracks, and convert the rust.
Places where the coating can't reach...
But would it hurt the powdercoat in any way?
I can't suggest a phosphate wash to my local powdercoater.
He already knows everything.
Anything that is not his idea is wrong.
(you know the type...)
Thanks for the wisdom.. It really, really helps.
SO many times you have to learn to do every single stage of the process because there are so many slacks out there.
(Especially in CA)
It does, indeed, sound like 2 additional steps. There can be parts that are not great candidates for powder coating, although it should be few. Something that you can't get powder attraction on is not going to get the durability or corrosion resistance in areas not coated fully. The good thing about it, though, is almost any are can get powder to it on most parts. Insides of pipes and tubing "can" be done as well. Once it's closed up, there's no chance though. So maybe the Ospho stuff is a good idea before outside prep of a part.volkaholic1 wrote:Ospho is a brand name for a dilute phosphoric acid solution. It reacts with the iron oxide (rust), forming a hard black stable compound. I've used it often over the years, but I have never tried it prior to powdercoating. It tends to leave a bit of a rough finish, which I would not think would be very good of powdercoating. Unless you blasted, ospho-ed, then sanded, then powdercoated. Sounds like 2 additional steps.
For a typical street use vehicle, powder is Awesome. Normal Powder can handle the types of temps that would be Daily driver temps.Clatter wrote:How well would powder stand up to heat, as in brake calipers?
Clatter wrote:Have you ever seen the powder melt off of calipers subject to severe use?
Simple answer,... Not gonna make it. This is where Ceramics is a GREAT idea, and fairly simple to apply and cure. It's a wet process, so I don't work with it. There are Air Cure and Oven Cured ceramics. Both kinds actually cure even more on the vehicle usually after installation of the part, and some use.Clatter wrote:What are the chances it would survive a track day at Laguna Seca?
I love shooting wrinkle powders. Funny thing is, they're actually quite easy to keep clean too.... contrary to popular belief.Clatter wrote:<edited> "About my Type 4 Shroud"
Think it would be worth a shot to find someone to coat it in wrinkle?
Any other ideas?
This had to come up eventually.... so it's pretty much Metals are good,... plastics and rubbers... not. I also coat Glass at times, since most glass is good for the temps.... just gotta clean to prep (Blasting if you just know what you're doing). I usually shoot candy colors over clear glass for decorative purposes... so I want it clear. Want candy colored glass on your bug? Can Do!Clatter wrote:What melts, in your experience, in the oven?
I just left that last part in to say "OUCH! That's pricey for a rebuild kit. Doesn't sound fair at all for parts. And I wanted to address this particular item as a subset. I know Brembo is a big name known for Big Brakes.... doesn't someone else build some decent brakes that don't cost an arm and a leg? Sheeeesh. They're just brakes.....Clatter wrote:Also, because the rebuild kit for my Brembo 4-pots runs $700
I do that too....(nod and grumble), but I really will go out of my way to help a guy out. Customer or not. I generally help out at least one or two new coaters in my area every year. last year was really heavy and I helped out about 5 of them. I let them come try the stripper I use, check out my "homemade coating booth" my ovens, and try out my guns before they spend money on this stuff.... Like I said somewhere earlier.... I've got well over $10k in my coating operation, in equipment alone. And I just added a new Blasting pot, and a welding rig.... (that part may be useless too, but I'm diggin' learnin' to weld). It's a very addictive "hobby" and a fun business to be in. Creativity being the limits to what can be done (Well,... as I mentioned in another thread, the pocket book can limit also)Clatter wrote:Man, it's great to get some answers...
All i get from my local guy are either grunts or frowns or both.
Always seems to include shakng of the head side-to-side, as in "No".
As long as your house can take the cure temps.... WE could do it. You would have to be involved on a grand scale...david58 wrote:Can you paint my house? I mean powdercoat it...........what some color choices.
Glad to know there's another coater on board. This is actually one of those processes that's a "made for" VW's, kind of thing. And even more so when considering restoration of any old car parts in general. Nothing beats Powder unless you're coating exhaust sections.... then maybe it's time to delve off into some ceramics or Thermal Dispersing coatings.r1cpowdercoating wrote:I have been powder coating or @ 6 years. I am hoping to be able to do this when I retire one of these days. I am glad somebody else is powder coating there vw parts. We (the wife and I) have a 69 karmann ghia race car that we powder coated the whole car before we started building. For the home hobbiest, there are a few different ways to go. You can get the el cheapo's but that is were the quality is also. There are some medium priced (under $2k) guns that do a jam up job for the piece mill work. of course if you are running a major business and this is what you do 24-7-365 then its north of $10k. I powder coat everything i put on my car. The gentleman said it with his tips on how to get great results but what I think is the most important one is the pre-heat "outgassing" especially with old parts.