Page 2 of 35

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:02 am
by Lotrat
Took you way too long to find that. When it comes to sweet hookups, you are the coolest guy I know. Your castle nuts are way better than MBs. Your cotter pins are tight bro!

I'm almost ready for a run. North County SD will be tearing it up this year. It my baja doesn't fall apart.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:39 am
by cwrisley
Ah, shucks Wally. Youre gonna give me a big(ger) head. :oops:

I havnt seen your thread before today. Still, looks good. Keep it up!!

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:40 am
by Sneaks
Nice looking ride so far. As a fellow lo-bucker, I appreciate the barter/trade/weasel/permanently-borrow approach to car building. If I take off the $1500 I paid for my car initially, I have like $50 in it and most of that is in blades, disks and chemicals. I kinda like the look of those Super wheels on the front.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:55 am
by CopperBaja
About time you found where all the cool kids hang out! :lol:
Looks good, nice abridged edition of the build. ;)

Going to have to take a Ramona shake-down run soon. 8)

We need to start a San Diego Baja Club. The REAL So-Cal club! :D

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:59 pm
by Lotrat
So with 2 desert trips under my belt and no breaks to speak of, I figured I'd just post my latest add-on. After getting lucky on my 1st trip, I figured I'd add a trans strap. I went with the Empi 9550 after seeing the troubles some folks have been through with theirs. The only issue I had with this kit was that the long bolt for the rear strap was a little short. A quick run to Homedepot fixed it. Anyone use this kit?

Image
Image
Image

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:16 am
by Leatherneck
Any problems with it stretching?. Having the straps is a good idea, any increase in sound?

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:24 am
by Lotrat
Leatherneck wrote:Any problems with it stretching?. Having the straps is a good idea, any increase in sound?
You know after installing the front strap I almost didn't install the big rear strap. Before installing it I could grab my stinger and shake the engine and trans on the rubber mounts. The front strap alone put an end to all movement. When I put the rear strap on, I didn't go silly torquing it down.

As for noise, I run a stinger so I can't tell for sure. I can feel my trans whine through the shifter though. Time will tell how good the thing is, but the install was easy.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 am
by CopperBaja
Looks good! ...so when does the skidplate go on?

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:12 am
by CopperBaja
Bump.

Going out Thanksgiving weekend?

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:45 pm
by Lotrat
I'm working it with the boss now...

As far as my project goes, I got a skid plate and it's sitting in my garage. Ok, it's just a big piece of metal I found by a dumpster at work.

I may put my bling belt on this week, but I hate to take it apart when it's running fine. I also need to track down a spare belt to have in my tool box.

Been having problems with my choke hanging up. I work it by hand and it's fine for awhile.

Repacked my front bearings. The drums looked new, so I left them alone when I first got the bug. The only grease in there was on the bearings. The rest of the drum cavity was dry. :roll:

The only other issue has been oil leaking out of the fuel pump. I figure I need to add a breather box, but it's odd that it just started to happen. I need to take it out to make sure the gasket and insulator are ok.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:51 pm
by namelesswonder
Lotrat wrote:As far as my project goes, I got a skid plate and it's sitting in my garage. Ok, it's just a big piece of metal I found by a dumpster at work.

I may put my bling belt on this week, but I hate to take it apart when it's running fine. I also need to track down a spare belt to have in my tool box.
It seems like the west coast has all those nice finds...like scrap metal just sitting around. I guess I just don't get out enough though/look hard enough. I mean, I do live in a formerly industrial city.

Also, what's a bling belt? What did I miss?

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:54 pm
by Lotrat
I won a major award a while back. I just haven't installed it yet. :oops:

Check it out....
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=121068

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:58 pm
by Hedrock
Lotrat wrote:I won a major award a while back. I just haven't installed it yet. :oops:

Check it out....
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=121068

Speaking of... I do believe we are due for an update on the said Major Bling award to the said recipient :wink:

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:00 pm
by Lotrat
Hedrock wrote:
Lotrat wrote:I won a major award a while back. I just haven't installed it yet. :oops:

Check it out....
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=121068

Speaking of... I do believe we are due for an update on the said Major Bling award to the said recipient :wink:
I still have it... I got the Scatt sand seal... Then I went on 2 desert trips. That's all I got for now.

I really didn't want to put it on so close to my 1st trips out. There is a warning about making sure the belt is tracking on the tensioner correctly. I didn't want to experiment with it yet. I do want the sand seal on, so I may just do it this week.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:08 pm
by namelesswonder
Lotrat wrote:I won a major award a while back. I just haven't installed it yet. :oops:

Check it out....
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=121068
That is the most ridiculous contest ever and I can't believe I didn't see it when it was happening!