ShopTalk Forums | Aircooled VW Tech & Restoration Help
The aircooled VW tech forum for Beetles, Buses, Karmann Ghias, and Type 3s. Get engine, carb, electrical, and restoration help from experienced VW owners. https://shoptalkforums.com/
Paul H wrote:Good numbers Wally
I have a 2160 T1 going on the dyno soon
with larger than normal cam and 044 heads
I'll be trying 3 turbos for comparison one of which
is a GT30 we can see what it makes at 20psi
Thanks Paul!
That would indeed be an interesting test.
Let us know how it went,
Regards,
Walter
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:45 pm
by Paul H
What were your intake temps and timing
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:16 pm
by Wally
Paul H wrote:What were your intake temps and timing
IAT was 15 Celcius.
Your a tuning expert by trade, so I am sure you will find your own best timing for that engine
Any results yet?
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:34 pm
by yvre
Secrets secrets...
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:23 pm
by Paul H
15 Degree charge temp at 20 psi ? I'd have to run a charge cooler with tap water flowing through
to get near that
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:22 am
by Wally
Paul H wrote:15 Degree charge temp at 20 psi ? I'd have to run a charge cooler with tap water flowing through
to get near that
Yes, I agree, it is stupidly low. I actually print-screened the log of that dyno run if you don't believe it. IAT rose just 2 or 3 Celcius during that 10 second run..
In fact, I had such a hard time believing it that I bought a different IAT sensor that was believed to react faster. Martin Tayler said s/th in that direction as well as he mentioned that he thought the Bosch sensor on his split reacted too slow.
The Dephi IAT sensor I run now showed however the same temperature curves, so there is probably some truth in these air temps after all.
The extremely good cooling alu cylinders, original type 4 heads and the Riechert cooling fan combined with WI and the largest air-air intercooler I could fit would also explain I can run a failly decent advance, but you probably gathered as much I suspect All on unleaded pump gas too!
Air-air intercooling FTW!
Any results from the turbo-testing Paul?
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:59 am
by Paul H
The motor is next on the dyno and I always run a thermocouple probe next to
the regular NTC sensor. I like to keep the ambient air temp at around 25C which
is about the same temp as the engine bay in a bus so for me to get 15c charge temps
I'd have to use a charge cooler with cold tap water to bring temps below ambient.
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:07 pm
by Wally
No 11's unfortunately as it seemed the clutch was slipping at the line at least.
Still did a lot of fun runs, most all 12.0-12.3's at a best of 114.8 mph.
On the way to home did a little unlimited running on the Autobahn
I'd say its stable at 137 mph
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:41 pm
by yvre
Man, I can imagine the look on peoples faces when they get passed by your car...
Priceless!
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:16 pm
by 64bug
holy hell.... awesome
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:50 am
by MarioVelotta
I wish that we could use our horse power like that
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:12 am
by 64bug
We can, we just end up I jail...
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:23 am
by Paul H
Nice going Wally you got balls !
I remember taking my bus upto 125mph speedo was obviously innacurate but just touched the
rev limit in 4th and it certainly wasn't stable had to make sure I had the use of all three lanes
of the 70mph limit motorway
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:15 am
by Wally
Paul H wrote:Nice going Wally you got balls !
I remember taking my bus upto 125mph
..wasn't stable had to make sure I had the use of all three lanes
of the 70mph limit motorway
And you say I have balls?
Its much less an effort now the car stays stable. The AVO's, excentric top struts and the extra aero help of the front splitter really made this possible imo.
Just send an order/email to KEP. I have asked for the same now 3 times in 3 replies to his questions and he still doesn't get it... Gets really frustrating as I am in a bit of a hurry to get the car launch properly for the next event(s)..
Re: 20 psi 2,2ltr T4: 381 hp street engine!!
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:55 pm
by fastback
this is such a great build ! a very good source for inspiration!