Page 2 of 18
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:07 pm
by 56SemaRag
Yeah, in a sick way I am looking forward to the metal fabrication of the radiator under scoop and enclosure build in the front. Probably going to do it with CamLocs as well.
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:43 am
by ambrynmc
I'll start the move from the other thread...my bad I saw it and keep going...
That radiator is about 23" wide, will it fit in his '56?
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:01 pm
by ambrynmc
All the radiators I am looking at for my 71 bug are probably too wide for your car. Mostly 24"-26" wide. I measured 26 1/4" inside dimension in my spare tire space and I'm thinking of using all the width I can (leaning towards a 26" griffin rad)
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:05 pm
by 55superbeetle
Should have the same front end

Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:17 pm
by 56SemaRag
ambrynmc wrote:I'll start the move from the other thread...my bad I saw it and keep going...
That radiator is about 23" wide, will it fit in his '56?
I checked out the site and they do have one(80108NR) that fits tight,it's listed as a drag radiator. I looked at the scirroco style but I would like to get the inlet on the cars upper left and outlet on the lower right. I also plan to have the AC condensor and intercooler water exchanger in there as well.
Great ideas, keep em coming.
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:20 pm
by ambrynmc
That drag radiator won't work...summit says its 19"w and 21" high! Plus it's a single core which I think is a bad idea (not sure). Look at the mishimoto site. They have measurements for all there radiators.
I looked at scirocco rads and decided that I didn't like the idea. I read they run at higher pressure since they are more restrictive. I won't claim to know the truth, but I decided that Subaru didn't use it so it might not be a good idea to change. I just don't feel like "experimenting" with one.
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:30 pm
by 56SemaRag
Thanks Ambryn for moving this part of the thread over.
This is what I am looking at for dimensions, for anyone that might be interested in comparing size differences. I know 55superbeetle is familiar but others doing the conversion may not know what will and won't fit for their application in the earlies.
This is the absolute dimension between the bumper bracket mounts. No brackets or bolt heads installed. It comes out to right at 22" (19+3 on the tape). It's why I said 20" would work for spacing. I would like to have the ability to install or remove the bolts without removing the radiator, but also plan on enclosing the whole thing. I figure I want to smoothly direct the airflow into and away from the radiator. I have access to sheet metal brakes, benders, stretchers, shrinkers and rollers to make it happen.
This is the depth and I would like to keep this at a minimum so air flow has a chance to change directions with the greatest amount of space. Add on to the radiator an AC condenser and water heat exchanger for the intercooler. No wiggle room here really, not going to cut any further in.
I threw the level out there because I will be enclosing the entire thing and it will raise no higher than tank seam level. The radiator can be a few inches higher than this dimension because it will drop into the slipstream. Maybe 3"-4" into the slipstream would be the max, so 17" would be good.

Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:41 pm
by 56SemaRag
That's a great price, but the dimensions say it's 23". Looking at the picture that 55superbeetle provided it looks like it isn't close to 23" because it fits so well in that same space.

[/quote]
Apologize if I seem to be over thinking this thing, but I hate redoing and returning stuff because I didn't take my time. Thanks all
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:47 pm
by ambrynmc
I wonder if the dimension on that Afco radiator in right then. 55superbeetle fit it in there, so it should fit for you. If you make a channel to hold the bottom of the radiator, hopefully, you will only need the top bolted...again 55superbeetle-he's your new best friend
I'm with you on room for an a/c cond. I'm thing of putting the water cooler rad somewhere else, not sure though.
Totally with you on the "do it once" thing.
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:49 pm
by ambrynmc
Only difference I would make is a puller fan. They are supposed to work better--again, what everyone says (more oem do pullers)
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 pm
by 56SemaRag
Trimmed and mocked up the front. Trying to think of anything else that need to be done before I weld this sucka in place. Think I figured out where to put the line lock and low pressure pump up in the Mendy structure. Moving in and around the head piece with this in place is going to be tough....thinking

Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:27 pm
by SuperRSi
Yes it is funny that you were thinking with the standard front suspension all the stuff you could put up there, but now with the Mendeola access is an issue if you try to fill the area under the tank. I'm scratching my head for a solution too.
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 pm
by 56SemaRag
I think I can fit the line loc and low press pump up front based on dimensions. Probably going to fit the filter/sump and high pressure pump off a mounting boss welded to the torsion bar. Should fit in that "triangle" area just forward of the IRS arms. Dunno. Finding a radiator to fit is being problematic...wish I had a local dealer so I can measure an AFCO 80128.
You get your kit yet Super?
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:20 pm
by 55superbeetle
I will measure the radiator this weekend for you, it's a friends car but he lives in town.
Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 pm
by 56SemaRag
55superbeetle wrote:I will measure the radiator this weekend for you, it's a friends car but he lives in town.
That would be awesome, really appreciate it. Looking at all the different car types from all different manufacturers, trying to find the largest that will fit in that space is a real bummer. Going to halt for now, have a great weekend!