Page 2 of 10

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:47 pm
by panel
Thanks Ron for the help.

I guess I should find out what year this motor really is and see if it's supposed to even have a FPC.

Image

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:13 am
by Master slacker
Master slacker wrote:What year EJ20 is it?
Or you could find out its year just to answer my question from earlier. :wink:

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:16 pm
by panel
What's the best way to find this out? Just with the front timing cover? EJ205xxxxxxx etc?

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:17 pm
by ambrynmc
I think that is the a good place to start. Yours is either an EJ205 or EJ207. There are a few databases on the web that list a bunch of engine codes.

There are other places to find date information. Take the oil cap off and look at the date code on the inside of it. I also found a date stamped on my intake manifold. It was on the opposite side from the throttle body (approximately under your ignition coils).

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:17 am
by panel
I think it's a 2000 forester 2.0l T auto ej 205 ecu

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:48 pm
by panel
Update:

-exhaust is all off.Those big cast clunky things are heavy and all that tin shrouding is nice to have off of there.
-oil pan off
-turbo TD04 is off
-primary exhaust tubes are ordered from Outfront Motorsports

Question re the oil sump alterations. I plan on using the stock pan but want to cut it down. Outfront quote:
The easiest way to do this is to chop off 1 1/2" of the pan on the bottom. Since the original design of the motor places the oil a good distance below the crank, when using our chopped oil pan the motor still accepts 5 quarts of oil with no risk of oil aeration. If using the stock dipstick, the full mark becomes the low mark with this cut pan. The bottom of the pan is about 10 3/4" below the crank center. For those doing VW motor replacements, that's about 2 1/2" lower than a stock VW pan.
If you cut it down and reduce the volume then how will it still hold 5 qts?

Also when cutting the pick-up what's the best way to achieve this? Do you cut it down on the upright and the angled part?

Image

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:26 pm
by vw1303
Hey Panel. Looks like we are using the same engine! I never found out out what mine was precisely because the barcode on the timing covers was worn off. Regarding chopping the sump. I think I cut 2" off the bottom of mine and I modified the pickup just like the one you have pictured. I modified the pickup to be about 6mm from the bottom of the sump. I also used 1/4" plate so it will takes some bumps. If I remember you van is quite low so you may also want to do this. "TD04 turbo is off" is this hinting at something?

Image

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:46 pm
by panel
Thanks for the pic and specs. The TD04 is just off the OE exhaust, just to relocate etc. Really just stripping unwanted parts.... sure seems like a lot of scrap metal I have now. Lots of weight reduced :wink:

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:37 am
by RonW
panel,
i do know they have you send in yours (which yours will be a turbo oil pan with the notch ) and they will send you back an NA pan thats been chopped and a new bottom plate installed in the same manner vw1303 has done his. so this in effect does maintain volumn because that notch is no longer there. now if you were NA and got a chopped pain it would not be the same volumn unless you essentially overfilled it and then you'd get oil splashing against the rotating crank i would guess.

also, while youre playing with the pan, think about the turbo oil return, if you are relocating it, you'll want to put an -8AN male bung in it now. just as a side one, don't locate the actual turbo too low otherwise you'll need a scavenger pump to evacuate oil from the turbo. im sure youve thought about this but just thought i'd throw that out there

oh, and while your in there, closely inspect your pick up, they are notorious for cracking at the flange and then there goes the motor as it sucks air.
Image
Image

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:58 pm
by panel
Should I just use the OEM flange? Or is it worth the extra effort to make one of these?

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:03 pm
by vw1303
Bellmouth ftw :D dont know if there is much benefit with stock turbo and stock boost levels but it should help things flow smoother.

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:38 am
by panel
Do you guys have any idea what these might be? I think the white one is for the wiper motor in the motor compartment but what that metal box thingy with the 4 wires to it?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:12 am
by crankwalk
Automatic Line Controller maybe? Looks like what I had on a Nissan Silvia auto front clip I had. Also Unisia Jecs

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:33 pm
by panel
How bout those last two pics? On a buddy's car it's attached to the MAF wiring and disapears on the drivers side below the air cleaner/MAF unit but we can't see where it goes.

Re: Urabus...it's in the works

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:46 pm
by RonW
What if u strip all the plastic covering and trace it back to the ecu. Refer to the pin out on your wiring diagram.