Page 2 of 5

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:54 pm
by ambrynmc
supaninja wrote:LOLOLOLOL, good catch Ron, it is now fixed. I'm a lazy fucker too, and haven't bothered to learn how to post pics on here with the new size limit.
I meant to ask if you were using a cellphone to take pictures. If you are, the photobucket app should let you pick the size that you upload in setup. If you pick 800 as the max, then you can stick the "IMG" code in and it will insert the pic for you. Hope that made sense...

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:23 pm
by 55superbeetle
I love megasquirt as much as anybody but the stock ecu would have been the ticket. With the money for the ms3 and the dyno time its going to take to get it to make even stock power could have payed for Kpro. Pretty sure you can even buy a harness that plugs right into the motor harness and allows for a simple hookup for a few hundred buck s now. I got the vvt working on an evo 10 4b11 motor with ms3 but it took hours on the dyno to even get back to stock power. Either way I love the project! Can't wait to see it running.

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 pm
by supaninja
55superbeetle wrote:I love megasquirt as much as anybody but the stock ecu would have been the ticket. With the money for the ms3 and the dyno time its going to take to get it to make even stock power could have payed for Kpro. Pretty sure you can even buy a harness that plugs right into the motor harness and allows for a simple hookup for a few hundred buck s now. I got the vvt working on an evo 10 4b11 motor with ms3 but it took hours on the dyno to even get back to stock power. Either way I love the project! Can't wait to see it running.
For sure kpro w/harness would have been half as much as what I got into this MS3x setup, but the motor and ECU are from a jdm only vehicle and I'm not sure if hondata supports it. Kpro is friggin sweet and I have lots of experience with flashpro, but I'm a glutten for punishment and I already had the MS3x. To be honest, making stock power would be nice but if I don't get around to making some dyno time it's still going to be a giant improvement over my current 1600sp motor :wink:

ambrynmc- I'll give that a try on the next pics, thanks for the heads up.

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:11 pm
by MarioVelotta
Subscribed for awesomeness :)

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:58 pm
by supaninja
My Christmas update, and it's is complete weak-sause since there really isn't much report.

Work has me on a short leash, the schedule for January is 12hrs every day so nothing is going to get done. For this 4 day weekend I'm finally organizing the garage, got a bunch of shelves from Lowe's and I'm currently squeezing 10 tons of poop into a 5 ton bag. I figure if my work area is dress right dress then the actual install and initial start-up should go a lot smoother. I some nice wiring lace, maybe tomorrow I'll start on the engine harness.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 am
by Vee Dub Nut
What's the latest on this beast?

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:36 pm
by supaninja
I tried to downsize my pics but STF is still not having it, but AJ straightened me out, thanks homie :wink:

So I started to lace the engine harness:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, I wish they had the red lace in stock, damn that would have popped.

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 pm
by MarioVelotta
Looks killer! You never see it done, that's for sure.

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm
by ajdenette
After you edit a picture it changes the file name and you need to re copy the link into your post from the "new" photo it catches me some time too.

It is looking like it will be a fun Bay when you get it running 8)

edited 1/21 to remove pictures after supaninja got is pictures fixed

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 pm
by supaninja
Thanks AJ, spare time has become quite illusive lately, in fact this might have been my last weekend off till March. The TX VW Classic is exactly 3 months away, I'm going to put in for vacation the week prior and do the motor swap then. I shall call it Bus Week, it will be as badass as shark week but cooler.

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:35 pm
by supaninja
So I have been working tail off, Superbowl Sunday was my first day off in 2 weeks and I just didn't have time to get a lot done. So I decided to install a Dub Shop transducer onto the motor to datalog/display oil pressure. Honda in all their infinite wisdom uses BSPT for the oil press sender and the PCV, yeah lame. I found this little beauty to solve that. So I am still using the stock oil press sender, transducer, and I have extra ports...no, I'm not planning on boosting this motor, muahahaha! I took the extra time to make all nice and square since this thing is front and center when I open the decklid.

http://www.nissport.com/catalog/product ... plications

Image

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:21 pm
by supaninja
Finally got some time to work on the motor.

Image

Cleaned up the stock ex manifold and heat shield, it's hard to tell in that pic but I welded a 3 bolt flange to the end so I don't have to hunt all the weird Honda stuff to mate it to the exhaust.

Image

I finally pulled the valve cover and plugs, looks like this motor has been sitting for a while, there was a little bit of corrosion on a couple of the lobes, it was only on the surface and no pitting so I should be fine. I coated it all in moly grease then put a new seals on the VC and stuffed some new plugs in it.

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:17 am
by supaninja
It's a AFCO 1x2' double pass radiator and a 12" SPAL fan

Image

Image

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm
by RonW
looking good, i missed the prior post, those headers look nice. maybe i missed what you did for the coating, i like.

are you gonna make a shroud for the fan to pull air thru all of it? what size are those input/output tubes on the rad? when i ordered mine, i didnt think about that and had to make adapters to go to 1.25" for the hose, pita.

keep up the nice work.

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:20 pm
by supaninja
I'm going to try it without a shroud, I'm hoping the moving airflow across it the radiator will be better that way. If I'm wrong then I'll do up a shroud.

It's 1.5 and 1.75, I screwed up and didn't do my due diligence or else I would have just gotten the one with 1.25" inlet/outlet so I'm going to use that adapter that posted on your thread, which is fine since I'm going to put the CLT sensor in it.

I just blasted the manifold at work and sprayed some rustoleum on it to keep it from rusting. One day I'll have all of the exhaust coated, most likely swaintech. http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=108