Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
-
Iguana
- Posts: 991
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:36 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
So is the ecotec is a 2.4L V6 ?
If it has more ground clearance than damn it must be shallow off the crank. My sump is 90mm shorter than stock ( usually they are 85mm but I stuffed up and made it to short) , I will have to measure crank to base of sump to see.
Anyone got an ecotec picture ?
If it has more ground clearance than damn it must be shallow off the crank. My sump is 90mm shorter than stock ( usually they are 85mm but I stuffed up and made it to short) , I will have to measure crank to base of sump to see.
Anyone got an ecotec picture ?
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
-
Iguana
- Posts: 991
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:36 pm
- fl_buggy
- Posts: 1258
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:23 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
my ecotec sits just slightly higher than the 6 rib it's attached to. it is a tall wide motor though, but not usually enough to cause trouble.
- TimS
- Posts: 5723
- Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
Some cool pictures I found related to this...


EDIT--> added one more picture I stole from Iguana...

Can anyone find length specs on ecotec vs. subaru??


EDIT--> added one more picture I stole from Iguana...
Can anyone find length specs on ecotec vs. subaru??
Last edited by TimS on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
- fl_buggy
- Posts: 1258
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:23 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
ecotec is 21" from bellhousing to crank pulley bolt. just measured the other day.
- TimS
- Posts: 5723
- Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
fl_buggy wrote:ecotec is 21" from bellhousing to crank pulley bolt. just measured the other day.
Not as much difference than I thought.tuff_puff wrote:28 1/2" Wide, 24 1/2" tall (from bottom of oil pan to top of intake) 15" deep (from bell houseing to from of cam pully's, you will still have alt pully in front of that but its not installed on motor now) 7 1/2" from the bottom of the head (where the exhaust mates) to the bottom of the oil pan..........
And here is some very fun reading... amazing-ecotec-2-0l-turbo-lnf-engine-ecotec_buildup.pdf
I think we need a good thread to include the ecotec, subaru, duratec, and zetech... Others?
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
-
Gioalcala714
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:47 am
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
Iguana wrote:Never had, run or used an Ecotec and I am a Subaru Engine guy so the call is easy
You might find you get a better response if you actually take the time to put up some info on what you are looking to achieve, rather than a one lines which tells us nothing about your plans.
I'm goin to run one these engines in my mid travel dual sport rail
-
winifredevw
- Posts: 1574
- Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:08 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
Love my 2.2 Suby, it's in a dedicated woods rail, shortened sump, 2.5 water neck. However, I'm sure I'd be just as happy with an Ecotec. (shrugs) I'd buy the lowest mileage cheapest one you can and enjoy... have fun making up your mind!
What kinda "dual sports"? Desert/sand, street/woods, street/desert or .....
What kinda "dual sports"? Desert/sand, street/woods, street/desert or .....
-
Gioalcala714
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:47 am
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
winifredevw wrote:Love my 2.2 Suby, it's in a dedicated woods rail, shortened sump, 2.5 water neck. However, I'm sure I'd be just as happy with an Ecotec. (shrugs) I'd buy the lowest mileage cheapest one you can and enjoy... have fun making up your mind!![]()
What kinda "dual sports"? Desert/sand, street/woods, street/desert or .....
Desert and sand
-
Turbo60VW
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:42 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
I'm a huge fan of the Subaru power plant. I currently have a subi 2.0 turbo and couldn't be happier. The power is enough to push my heavy 4 seat a-arm manx with 33" rear tires up any hill I point it at. You will have to shorten the oil pan and pick up tube to gain the rear ground clearance. Add a 10* tranny mount and clearance is fine. I use the car as a true dual sport, everything from running errands around town, mountains to desert, even road trips to other states.
- motorbreath53
- Posts: 2169
- Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
I have the 2.2 Ecotec in my buggy. It does great. I don't think i'll EVER be "satisfied" with power, but my car has gone up everything i've aimed it at with plenty of speed.
I think the similar size non-turbo Subi motor would be comparable power wise, and $$$ wise would most likely be ballpark as well.
I'm about $2500 into my motor.
$1000 for a running 2.2 with harness and ECU
$500 adapter
$500 fuel system (LS ready:mrgreen:, pump, 100micron filter, and a small fortune in AN)
$250 DIY exhaust
$250 accessories (billet water neck adapter, mounts, senders etc.)
I will catch hell for this but:
No offense to anyone's buggy, no intent to hurt feelings... but, I feel that the Subi motors are ugly. They look awkward to me.
I KNOW I KNOW. Lame reason to shy away from a motor, but if you have to pick between two that are painfully close in every other way, why not?
The Ecotec motors look all tidy and clean. Like it was meant to be in a buggy.

I think the similar size non-turbo Subi motor would be comparable power wise, and $$$ wise would most likely be ballpark as well.
I'm about $2500 into my motor.
$1000 for a running 2.2 with harness and ECU
$500 adapter
$500 fuel system (LS ready:mrgreen:, pump, 100micron filter, and a small fortune in AN)
$250 DIY exhaust
$250 accessories (billet water neck adapter, mounts, senders etc.)
I will catch hell for this but:
No offense to anyone's buggy, no intent to hurt feelings... but, I feel that the Subi motors are ugly. They look awkward to me.
I KNOW I KNOW. Lame reason to shy away from a motor, but if you have to pick between two that are painfully close in every other way, why not?
The Ecotec motors look all tidy and clean. Like it was meant to be in a buggy.

Baja5 was right...
- fl_buggy
- Posts: 1258
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:23 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
The Ecotec is definitely an elegant package. No accessory brackets or clutter, nice and simple and clean.
What header is that? It's a beauty.
What header is that? It's a beauty.
- motorbreath53
- Posts: 2169
- Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
The header is a stainless Tsudo brand from ebay. CHEAP. I built the mid section with some mandrel U bends. The muffler is another noname ebay find.
Baja5 was right...
-
rusco
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:31 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
I have been debating on adding a Subie to my class 5B. BUT...oil pan issue prevents me to use with 091 (have to raise trans too much). Could go dry sump but thats $2500 addl' and the ECOtec would be easier. Has anyone used either a 2.2 or 2.4 Ecotec with a built 091 or is it too much torque and hp for the bus box? Gearing is another issue. The third idea was to build a "mild" T4. I see drop in kits 82x96 through DRD and migh be better option. See 96x 82 thread on Type 4rum.
- motorbreath53
- Posts: 2169
- Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm
Re: Subaru 2.5 or ecotec 2.4
I have a built 091 on my ecotec. PunchDrunkMonkey has a turbo subi in his T-181 (not a light car) and he runs an 091. He also drives the piss out of his car. Non issue.
Just pretend you don't have reverse if your stuck, leave the power shifting to the neighborhood kids in their civics, and don't stand on the throttle if your car happens to leave the ground. (oh, and remember to whisper to your trans that its special, and that you love it more than any woman. They get temperamental if you don't remind them how much you care.)
Just pretend you don't have reverse if your stuck, leave the power shifting to the neighborhood kids in their civics, and don't stand on the throttle if your car happens to leave the ground. (oh, and remember to whisper to your trans that its special, and that you love it more than any woman. They get temperamental if you don't remind them how much you care.)
Baja5 was right...
