My new mill
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Re: My new mill
Just to set off you OCD...
CNC TIG.
Once you get that and the plasma-cutter variation working well you will be able to write a book on how to shield stuff.
CNC TIG.
Once you get that and the plasma-cutter variation working well you will be able to write a book on how to shield stuff.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: My new mill
CNC TIG, man isn't the navy still struggling with that one? My understanding is nearly all automated welding is done with MIG unless it MUST be TIG. And there humans are generally still cheaper than a CNC TIG setup.
When I first got my work space, there was a large floor section saved aside for a DIY CNC oxy cutting/laser engraving rig, to serve as a test bed for a k or two watt laser cutter as I am hoping they catch up to plasma on pricing....
Granted I would probably need to start a company to foot the bill for such a power source, but hey,toys are toys.
When I first got my work space, there was a large floor section saved aside for a DIY CNC oxy cutting/laser engraving rig, to serve as a test bed for a k or two watt laser cutter as I am hoping they catch up to plasma on pricing....
Granted I would probably need to start a company to foot the bill for such a power source, but hey,toys are toys.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: My new mill
no clue, the relay was rated properly, although maybe inrush was too high or it was just a cheap relay? 1/4 hp motor on a 15 amp 110 volt relay. I pooped myself a little when I noticed the NO wire had become shorted to the coil internal to the relay, thankfullly I had line voltage on the pole, not the NO wire, or mains woulda been happily piped into my motor controller! Although maybe it was, but only killed my 2 digital outputs, and left the drives untouched. Not sure, since I got the board used. No sign of magic smoke inside that I could see, but definatly no outputs.
All that matters to me is the axis still work, and I still can't see what went wrong w/ that relay. Maybe it was only good to a metric 110?
All that matters to me is the axis still work, and I still can't see what went wrong w/ that relay. Maybe it was only good to a metric 110?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- SCOTTRODS
- Posts: 633
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am
Re: My new mill
It's similar in color..... LOLDevastator wrote:Like my former boss used to say: "Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder".SCOTTRODS wrote:Don't get excited... it's not terribly pretty.
Look kinda like this?:
No, Really it's quite similar except motor configuration.... Mine's mounted low and to the "away" side from the upper chuck Depth control lever..... I guess that's what you'd call it... (The Drill press levers... Describes it better to me... ).... Guy I bought it from, said he'd been hittin' up HF for a replacement switch for a while, to no avail.... so Making my own switch set-up is probably in order. Multiple Switches can be done if need be. Looks like a 6 pole switch (3 position switch).... pretty heavy duty stuff. Just said it was bad.... I haven't checked the switch myself yet.
The Mill has the same style of Spindles on it as well.... I wish mine looked that nice. Maybe a little cleaning will help. I could always take it apart and powder coat it, I guess.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: My new mill
I would suspect you have one similar to Lees? Plow light kits probably come with big enough switches, I had a set come with a monster I have yet to use, like 30 amp or something?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- SCOTTRODS
- Posts: 633
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am
Re: My new mill
Let me try..... Here's a pic of mine I moved it around for view and stuck a couple of objects next to it for scale. That's a Satndard VW rim and Tire.... Left side... Garage door behind it.... Standard Garage door.... I had another pic that just won't post to Photobucket for some reason.... I set an Eastwood Shrinker Stretcher in front of it.... I know....the wiring look s daunting to many, but to me, it's no big deal to figure out what each wire does and how to control it.... There's actually poorly done labels on each wire too... just can't read them.

Here's the only other example I could find on Google search for this machine... close anyway.... He paid 300 for his (and got more stuff than I did, but Hey, I got a a great big vice with new jaws a couple of months back for free.... and many other items as well.... There's one of my 52 inch Shears sitting next to it too)
Here's the one on the web... VERY similar.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/550526/t ... now+begins+!

Here's the only other example I could find on Google search for this machine... close anyway.... He paid 300 for his (and got more stuff than I did, but Hey, I got a a great big vice with new jaws a couple of months back for free.... and many other items as well.... There's one of my 52 inch Shears sitting next to it too)
Here's the one on the web... VERY similar.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/550526/t ... now+begins+!
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
- Devastator
- Posts: 3493
- Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:51 am
Re: My new mill
That's what I thought you had.
Same offer to Fuser applies for you if you want. I'll help however I can.
Same offer to Fuser applies for you if you want. I'll help however I can.
Devastator's Build Thread
Sandrail
2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec
"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Sandrail
2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec
"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: My new mill
This isn't his mill, but this is I think the same model as the chinese one my budddy got, I think 90% of the chinese mills are this one with different brand names? He wins on it using an R8 collet and variable speed gear-free motor, but in every other way mine wins. ALthough he may have an inch more travel in a direction or two, I won't conceede that victory till we measure.
Image was too big to link, so here is a guy reviewing it, http://golem5.org/machine_shop/experiences.html
Image was too big to link, so here is a guy reviewing it, http://golem5.org/machine_shop/experiences.html
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- Devastator
- Posts: 3493
- Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:51 am
Re: My new mill
I think you guys are tied Fuser.
Fuser: Milling machine: 1 point. CNC capabilities: 1 point. 4th axis: 1 point, (assuming it works).
Scottrods: Milling machine: 1 point. Lathe attached to milling machine: 1 point. R8 collet: 1 point.
Looks like it could come down to size. Doesn't it always?

Fuser: Milling machine: 1 point. CNC capabilities: 1 point. 4th axis: 1 point, (assuming it works).
Scottrods: Milling machine: 1 point. Lathe attached to milling machine: 1 point. R8 collet: 1 point.
Looks like it could come down to size. Doesn't it always?
Devastator's Build Thread
Sandrail
2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec
"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Sandrail
2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec
"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: My new mill
hey my motion of the ocean is automated, and in my experience, that .always. gets the job done.
...and speaking of diving off the high end, I am becoming a half arsed contributor to the software driving my machine! linuxCNC is awesome, probably a bit scarier to setup than mach3, but I would't know since I didn't set up mach3. It was pretty straightforward once I had it in front of me, and I really like linux using text files to drive settings instead of mach3s 30 different config and settign windows with check boxes and hidden settings. So much easier to backup some words, and doubly easy to check for changes to see how you broke it lol!
And yes, I do need to plug in that 4th axis to see if it still works.
...and speaking of diving off the high end, I am becoming a half arsed contributor to the software driving my machine! linuxCNC is awesome, probably a bit scarier to setup than mach3, but I would't know since I didn't set up mach3. It was pretty straightforward once I had it in front of me, and I really like linux using text files to drive settings instead of mach3s 30 different config and settign windows with check boxes and hidden settings. So much easier to backup some words, and doubly easy to check for changes to see how you broke it lol!
And yes, I do need to plug in that 4th axis to see if it still works.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
-
Ol'fogasaurus
- Posts: 17881
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm
Re: My new mill
When I was looking at my Smithy I did find some smaller lathe/milling machines also but I had bigger plans (I know... big plans often lead to bigger disappointments) pun intended. I wanted a throw that would allow me to turn drums or cut drums up. I am not sure if it was Enco that had the smaller ones (they don't seem to now) or another place as I did look around quite a bit (this is a Grizzly which is a bit smaller than mine but I think larger than the two we are talking about: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G4015Z) or someone else. Here are some shots of some Hobby/miniature lathes that are/were available binging for them: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Min ... orm=IQFRDR. I suspect that the smaller ones are still out there but you just have to find who is importing them now.