Page 2 of 2
Re: What's the total height of the stk Subaru oil pan? Plus
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:27 pm
by panel
^ thx
Re: What's the total height of the stk Subaru oil pan? Plus
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:04 pm
by Iguana
We Tig the majority of it and then Mig the lower to teh upper. Once done it is Pressure tested and then shipped with custom oil pickup.
Joel the one shown is the latest iteration and we have a new model coming out in the next month or so.
In regards to oil surge I am keen to hear more about it. The design is such that with the outrigger baffles having a top on them width has no impact on the oil surge. I would be interested to see a picture on what you are saying your mechanic has suggested. Putting put baffles in the center would do nothing from what I can see.
Do you happen to have a picture of yours internal ? We made a few changes 5 or so years ago so you may have an earlier version.
Re: What's the total height of the stk Subaru oil pan? Plus more
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:33 pm
by panel
Hi guys , I had some projects I wanted to tackle in the winter time and one of my big ones was to test the volume of the oil pan. Looks as though I'm only at around 2 liters. I added over 4ltrs (initially) to it and that's not good cause it probably is WAY to high. This is why I could never get a good reading on the dip stick and always seemed real high(cause it was

).
So I'm looking to add at least another 2 more liters. Problem is though , I have minimal room around there. Stuff in the way is , motor mounts and crossbar(can't relocate) , oil drain from turbo (could relocate), oil drain plug (could relocate).
Total height of the pan right now is 4" and
at about 2" from the bottom is where it reads full on the dipstick......so I think I can only add a 2" (height/tall) sides but only seem to gain about 1/2 a ltr.
Any ideas?
My oil pan is similar to this one (below) but I've taken the angled part away where his drain plug is and mine is as flat as all the other sides. Pic is from 72marinablue's build.
I'm kinda confused re the Outfront wording :
If using the stock dipstick, the full mark becomes the low mark with this cut pan. The bottom of the pan is about 10 3/4" below the crank center. For those doing VW motor replacements, that's about 2 1/2" lower than a stock VW pan.
Crank center? Do they mean the bottom/lowest part of the crank that would touch the oil ?
Re: What's the total height of the stk Subaru oil pan? Plus more
Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:02 am
by Prtexx
I make my pans 4" and run the full 5 quarts and just remark the dipstick to the new full mark, before remarking the dipstick I run the motor to get the oil to the new normal level. Have done this for years with no issues caused by the higher oil level in relation to the crank. These are street driven cars and not for off road or racing.
pan.jpg
Re: What's the total height of the stk Subaru oil pan? Plus more
Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:14 am
by panel
Steve , thx for the reassurance......My pan is similar to yours. I'll post a pic later.
Also......what gasket material are you using for sealing?
Re: What's the total height of the stk Subaru oil pan? Plus more
Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:20 am
by Prtexx
I'm sure i will catch hell but I just use the standard Felpro gasket and really haven't had any problems.
Re: What's the total height of the stk Subaru oil pan? Plus more
Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:25 pm
by GS guy
Panel, my Outback (yes ,they were stilled called Outback when I bought my pan!) measures about 4-1/4" tall. It also has a small kick-out at the back similar to yours - this was their mid-engine version shortened pan. Not sure of the capacity - I know I measured it before installation but can't find the info in my notes. It has to be more than 2 qts through! I'm guessing a good 3.5-4 qt or so for just the pan.
Jeff
Re: What's the total height of the stk Subaru oil pan? Plus more
Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:40 am
by panel
Well I filled her to the brim and it's at 4ltr/4.226 quarts. I'm shy of the 5 quarts.
Re: What's the total height of the stk Subaru oil pan? Plus more
Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:01 pm
by panel