Re: Lathe tool bit shimming
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:01 am
Nice setup and very clean (
I need to clean my garage up again)!
I bought the mount/stand and the lathe/mill from Smithy at the same time so it has drawers and a storage place and it sits next to a window that has blinds on it so can open to add light if and when needed but still not open to people in the yard looking for "stuff" to steal. I also hung a fluorescent light, a bit off-set enough so that my head doesn't create shadows over the work (something I learned from aircraft interior design).
Anything I can do is learned from trial and error. The advice on the tool bits is good, thanks. Until the last month or so I bought stuff from Smithy and was not real happy with them; partly out of ignorance partly because I had problems doing things with them. I got the standard bits then the ones with the triangle shaped cutting edges so you can rotate and replace them. Those did not work out at all. If the threads for the bolts (or bit holder) did not strip the threads they vibrated loose. I got the HF bits just out of frustration and haven't really used them so far. Since I have had my "card" stolen (the crook only stole the card numbers from only one company that issued them; it was reported quick enough that no one had a chance to use it) the results being that I am loathe to buy anything off-line now.
Lee
I bought the mount/stand and the lathe/mill from Smithy at the same time so it has drawers and a storage place and it sits next to a window that has blinds on it so can open to add light if and when needed but still not open to people in the yard looking for "stuff" to steal. I also hung a fluorescent light, a bit off-set enough so that my head doesn't create shadows over the work (something I learned from aircraft interior design).
Anything I can do is learned from trial and error. The advice on the tool bits is good, thanks. Until the last month or so I bought stuff from Smithy and was not real happy with them; partly out of ignorance partly because I had problems doing things with them. I got the standard bits then the ones with the triangle shaped cutting edges so you can rotate and replace them. Those did not work out at all. If the threads for the bolts (or bit holder) did not strip the threads they vibrated loose. I got the HF bits just out of frustration and haven't really used them so far. Since I have had my "card" stolen (the crook only stole the card numbers from only one company that issued them; it was reported quick enough that no one had a chance to use it) the results being that I am loathe to buy anything off-line now.
Lee