What is the right engine lid for my '72?
- SuperBeetle71
- Posts: 636
- Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
The reason I mentioned the Brazillian lid, is because The Real Source offers a new decklid from Brazil. But it has different holes and light placement, and the vents look like this:
(Vent)(Vent)(Space)(Vent)(Vent)
as opposed to the original:
(Vent)(Vent)(Vent)(Vent)
Seems to be what you are describing
Later
[This message has been edited by SuperBeetle71 (edited 01-15-2001).]
[This message has been edited by SuperBeetle71 (edited 01-15-2001).]
[This message has been edited by SuperBeetle71 (edited 01-15-2001).]
(Vent)(Vent)(Space)(Vent)(Vent)
as opposed to the original:
(Vent)(Vent)(Vent)(Vent)
Seems to be what you are describing
Later
[This message has been edited by SuperBeetle71 (edited 01-15-2001).]
[This message has been edited by SuperBeetle71 (edited 01-15-2001).]
[This message has been edited by SuperBeetle71 (edited 01-15-2001).]
-
MARTINSR
- Posts: 124
- Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
Mike, when he posted that he drove Honda Civic, if you'll notice I didn't even respond. Reason is I now feel sorry for him.
Super, I have seen Brazilian lids that looked just like the original. If there is one like you describe, then mystery solved. I think I may use it, it's kinda cool.
------------------
Always a Bug lover, just got a 72 Beetle, my first.
Super, I have seen Brazilian lids that looked just like the original. If there is one like you describe, then mystery solved. I think I may use it, it's kinda cool.
------------------
Always a Bug lover, just got a 72 Beetle, my first.
- SuperBeetle71
- Posts: 636
- Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
Martin, I live in the east bay. If you ever need bug parts at a good price try Small Car World in Albany. This way you don't have to rely on catalogs.
Later,
Cody
Later,
Cody
- Mikes72sb
- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
Yes, MARTINSR, I feel sorry too.
-
MARTINSR
- Posts: 124
- Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
Thanks Super, I hate using catalogs, I like to touch what I am going to buy. Did I say that?
. I Bought this car as a basket case with a bunch of new parts, only problem is they bought the cheap stuff. I have to look it all over and see what needs to be up graded and I'll check out your lead. Thanks again.
------------------
Always a Bug lover, just got a 72 Beetle, my first.
. I Bought this car as a basket case with a bunch of new parts, only problem is they bought the cheap stuff. I have to look it all over and see what needs to be up graded and I'll check out your lead. Thanks again.------------------
Always a Bug lover, just got a 72 Beetle, my first.
-
Mike
- Posts: 326
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
I believe the 1500 vert deck lids (68 - 70) had 4 vents with a space between the 2 center ones. Verts had more vents than the sedans because you lost the ones under the rear window.
If if fits and is good shape, use it.
------------------
Mike
Wilhelm(Willie) - 74 Super Beetle - Stock (Almost)
(Willie get there? - Willie get me back home?)
.. ___
. /___\
(0\_|_/0)
.U===U
If if fits and is good shape, use it.
------------------
Mike
Wilhelm(Willie) - 74 Super Beetle - Stock (Almost)
(Willie get there? - Willie get me back home?)
.. ___
. /___\
(0\_|_/0)
.U===U
-
Bob
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
I saved a rear deck lid from a '74 Super Beetle that I bought for parts a while back. Its in beautiful shape and I would like to use it on my '73 Super but it has no vents.
Could this be an original lid? It looks like it has the original paint on it. Will I have a cooling problem if I use this?
Could this be an original lid? It looks like it has the original paint on it. Will I have a cooling problem if I use this?
- SuperBeetle71
- Posts: 636
- Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
If it has no vents at all, it isn't original.
All lids from 1972 on had vents all the way across the back. The 71 only had 1 pair of vents. The reason for the vents was because the now bigger 1600cc engine required more air to breathe. Also, cooling may be a factor when the weather turns hot if you have no vents.
All lids from 1972 on had vents all the way across the back. The 71 only had 1 pair of vents. The reason for the vents was because the now bigger 1600cc engine required more air to breathe. Also, cooling may be a factor when the weather turns hot if you have no vents.
-
JoshL
- Posts: 195
- Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
That guy said a Honda Civic. I've been lauging all morning. Damn thats funny.lol
-
oregonian52
- Posts: 496
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
Just to throw another log on the fire.
My 72 (built 10-71) has the original decklid. The spacing of the vents are as follows: vent vent vent vent. The two center vents have one less vent opening than the outer vents. It also has a three screw decklid pushbutton lock usually found on 71 and before. Only one of the many "unusual" items on my totally stock SB.
A question I do have is: I picked up a factory engine rainguard (metal piece that mounts under the vents) from a 73 coupe. I have read that this was available on verts only. Was it an option for all models?
My 72 (built 10-71) has the original decklid. The spacing of the vents are as follows: vent vent vent vent. The two center vents have one less vent opening than the outer vents. It also has a three screw decklid pushbutton lock usually found on 71 and before. Only one of the many "unusual" items on my totally stock SB.
A question I do have is: I picked up a factory engine rainguard (metal piece that mounts under the vents) from a 73 coupe. I have read that this was available on verts only. Was it an option for all models?
-
vwnate1
- Posts: 596
- Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
Ah , yes ~ the ubiqutous splash gaurd . appeared on sedans in the 1970 model year for the single port 'B' block 1600 engine , was modified slightly in early 1971 model year for the 'new' dual port 1600 (to clear the airfilter intake), dropped pretty quickly into the 1971 model year .'70 & '71 had the two sets of vents so it won't fit the '72 & later four vent decklids . a good part to have IMO , although unnecessary as time has proven .
Converts used splash pans through early 1971.
------------------
-Nate
Filth & Greed Imports
(the LAST honest VWshop)
Converts used splash pans through early 1971.
------------------
-Nate
Filth & Greed Imports
(the LAST honest VWshop)
-
aussiebug
- Posts: 1520
- Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
This thread has been all over the shop, so lets get it cleared up.
First - I'm talking hard top beetles here.
Fro68 the lid shape changed and got a flatish bottom. All lids from 68 onwards will fit all other 68up beetles.
The 68 and 69 lids are solid.
In 1970 the US got the first 1600 engines - the B series sp engines. This had marginal cooling with the same internal oil cooler and same fan as the 1300/1500s, so VW added 2 sets of slots to the engine lid, to reduce any restrictions in the cooling air flow. Remember this engine produced 58hpSAE, up from 53 in the 1500 - that's more heat to get rid of. The rest of the world kept the same 1500 engine as 69, but still got the 2-slot lids (that's the configuration of my 1970 Aussie beetle).
In 1971 the tp engines were introduced - the AE engine with 60hp for most of the US (had smog controls), or the AD series with 65hp in a lot of the rest of the world (no smog controls). These engines have a larger fan (25cf/sec v 22cf/sec for the 1300/1500 fan) and the "two slot" lids proved insufficent for that fan.
So in 1972 the "4 slot" lids were introduced, and used on all bugs since then.
In Australia (where I live) no cabrios/convertibles were sold, so I can't comment on the lids with uneven pattern of 4 slots, but it sounds like that's what these lids were used for, since they had no under-window slots.
The 2-slot lids had rain guards under them, a metal catch tray with drain pipes leading to the lower lip of the lid.
The large paper air cleaner on later beetles made too little room for the rain guard, and it was dropped.
Hope that helps clear all this up.
(There's a list of "changes to the beetle through the years" on my web site - below - which includes this info).
------------------
Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
Repair and Maintenance for the home mechanic
http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/index.html
First - I'm talking hard top beetles here.
Fro68 the lid shape changed and got a flatish bottom. All lids from 68 onwards will fit all other 68up beetles.
The 68 and 69 lids are solid.
In 1970 the US got the first 1600 engines - the B series sp engines. This had marginal cooling with the same internal oil cooler and same fan as the 1300/1500s, so VW added 2 sets of slots to the engine lid, to reduce any restrictions in the cooling air flow. Remember this engine produced 58hpSAE, up from 53 in the 1500 - that's more heat to get rid of. The rest of the world kept the same 1500 engine as 69, but still got the 2-slot lids (that's the configuration of my 1970 Aussie beetle).
In 1971 the tp engines were introduced - the AE engine with 60hp for most of the US (had smog controls), or the AD series with 65hp in a lot of the rest of the world (no smog controls). These engines have a larger fan (25cf/sec v 22cf/sec for the 1300/1500 fan) and the "two slot" lids proved insufficent for that fan.
So in 1972 the "4 slot" lids were introduced, and used on all bugs since then.
In Australia (where I live) no cabrios/convertibles were sold, so I can't comment on the lids with uneven pattern of 4 slots, but it sounds like that's what these lids were used for, since they had no under-window slots.
The 2-slot lids had rain guards under them, a metal catch tray with drain pipes leading to the lower lip of the lid.
The large paper air cleaner on later beetles made too little room for the rain guard, and it was dropped.
Hope that helps clear all this up.
(There's a list of "changes to the beetle through the years" on my web site - below - which includes this info).
------------------
Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
Repair and Maintenance for the home mechanic
http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/index.html
- Steve C
- Posts: 1143
- Joined: Sun May 14, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
Hi
I have a Brazilian lid on my bug. The outer vents are longer and their is a larger blank space in the middle.
See my bug here. http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/scaero.jpg
Regards Steve C
I have a Brazilian lid on my bug. The outer vents are longer and their is a larger blank space in the middle.
See my bug here. http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/scaero.jpg
Regards Steve C
- SuperBeetle71
- Posts: 636
- Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
Yeah thats the brazillian lid I was talking about.
- Superman
- Posts: 1181
- Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 12:01 am
What is the right engine lid for my \'72?
Yes, it is a Brazilian deck lid from their "Fusca" (what they call the Bug). Mexican Beetles used the '72-'79 lid at first but now use the Fusca lid. Mexican Beetles are built from all VW's left overs. Oh, but they did redo the interior nicely.
On another note, the Fusca had a square speedometer and fuel injection.
On another note, the Fusca had a square speedometer and fuel injection.