Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
[email protected]
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by [email protected] »

Thank you Tuna for your response.

I appreciate the thought and assistance.

We will probably vent the engine compartment as Remmele does his side vents and also with venting under the license plate. I have seen a photo in a Euro magazine with an rotary A/C compressor in a Beetle engine compartment and 911 type cooling on a type IV. It appears that one might be able to shoe horn in a supercharger such as the Z-Engineering units if one utilizes a serpentine belt.
This car is not a primary driver, but it could be driven any day the owner decides not to take something else. This is why he wanted A/C, and now wants more power, big wheels etc. He owns a Porsche Twin Turbo and by reading the magazine Excellence has decided maybe he wants a set of titanium connecting rods and wrist pins he saw advertised. I did not tell him he was crazy, I only said I would look into ordering them. I asked Oliver what length rods to order three months ago and have not gotten an answer yet. I do value his opinion but I am getting to the point of deciding the long distance involved and the translation difficulties are not worth it.


I would like to thank you for a helpful answer. See guys, it was not hard.
JohnConnolly
Posts: 3336
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by JohnConnolly »

Ti rods is crazy; SCAT H-beam rods will handle over 500hp and they are only $320 a set of 4 (that's what I run in all my engines). I'm a SCAT distributor, so I have many rods and cranks in stock. He needs a LOT of power to need a 4340 crank; the $450 cranks work fine.

BTW, I'm working on a centrifugal supercharger kit right now (serpentine belt); first I'm aware of. I'll keep everyone posted.
User avatar
Tom Notch
Moderator
Posts: 3332
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by Tom Notch »

Well, the EM stuff is very nice and the TMN 50s are ok, too, but if you want to save some room and get aircleaners in there I suggest something different. check out this:
http://home.att.net/~airdoc/t1fi.html

it's the background shot that I'm referring to, and then on to the link at the bottom to some other pix. oh, those are 52mm which might be useable for you. But the heads would require a bit of work to get them on, seen it done.

Don't mean to dis ya but sometimes some of the requests here and on other boards are just way out in left field and yours was sounding like one of those. There is only so much that can be done B4 logic tells me that it isn't prudent to try and get an AC vw to do some stuff. And your particular venture is more extreme than what I am attempting. Mine is just a 2.7L T4 in my Notch, w/ an automatic, Haltech injection, looking for AC maybe, and maybe a turbo down the road. And I thought I was pushing the envelope!! Your customer may have something in common with me, but the '78 SB 'vert in my family will stay stock (only 'cuz sis likes it that way!).

The big ol holly thing is what I usually see on a puffer or even a lot of turbos. I am a efi lover myself. And stay at 103s max. and with a head stud conversion. This sounds like a real pain to build and maintain.

PS. FAT or bernie bergman has rods in stock at 5.325 x chevy and the cranks are probably there too, though I don't believe in Bernie's lightened counter weights. FAT most likely has the whole bottom end. Heads, try Roger Crawford at Heads Up. I was looking at some Tims T1 one heads today and now I know why he gets them out a little quicker and a little cheaper than the rest, you get what you pay for. European Motors seem to be all right but only 2nd and 3rd hand info on them.

[This message has been edited by Tom Notch (edited 12-04-2000).]
[email protected]
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by [email protected] »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnConnolly:
SCAT H-beam rods will handle over 500hp and they are only $320 a set of 4 (that's what I run in all my engines).

John, according to the SCAT price list from the Nov 2000 SEMA show, 102504 H Beam rods dealer cost is $254. and racer is $299. I won't tell everyone what our distributor cost is, But suffice to say if you guys out there want SCAT products, call me I will make you a real deal. Wow, $320 a set...
JohnConnolly
Posts: 3336
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by JohnConnolly »

you are brutal. Check my site; I gave you a worst case scenario. Most are $299, but some are $319. I can't give you a rundown on everything.

In addition, if you check the info, I have been posting here since April of this year, and Mr. Dreamer/bullshitter/Camaro for 2 days? I have been contributing for a while, and he comes in here and treats US like morons, and then ridicules and belittles some of us here on top of it.

I bit my tongue and tried to be civil, but you crossed the line.

Since you treated me (and Jake, Joe, etc) so nicely, I think I'm going to send a little letter to Oliver (whom I have communicated with in the past for various reasons) to ensure he is aware of how you have treated some other RESPECTED VW minds here; I'll send him here and let him make his own mind up.
The VW World is much smaller than the Camaro World, and we all pretty much know one another. Burning bridges is way faster than building them; I wish you the best of luck, you'll need all of it.
:-)

[This message has been edited by JohnConnolly (edited 12-05-2000).]
[email protected]
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by [email protected] »

Boy you guys can dish out the intellectual comments, but you sure can't take return fire can you? I guess I should learn to take the slams from you two because thats the way it is in cyberspace. I wonder if John and Jake are this nasty in person or just when they are on-line. Probably not or someone would have kicked their butts enough that they would not behave this way to people they don't even know. And I guess if you treat someone with disrespect they will return the favor. John, perhaps someone could start selling EVERYTHING on your website for dealer cost just to teach you a lesson. I guess you boys are right this is not the place to slam someone on their prices, OOOH too brutal, this is only the place to slam them on their questions.

You guys would have to respond with a sincere answer to qualify as a "RESPECTED VW minds". You must earn respect. It sounds as if you are more legends in your own minds. I guess if you have posted here for the last 20 months, it gives you the right to be nasty to someone new asking a legitimate question. I have read this forum for quite some time but have been hesitant to post. After people read your responses maybe they will be too. Careful everyone these boys are ready to call you Mr. Yugo if you ask them a stupid question.

I haven't ridden in a Camaro convertible since they were a pace car in 69?. But it is cute the way you have dreamed up these little names to ridicule the outsiders. You boys like to be judgemental because you know everything. Your open arms are an attempt to hide the knives in your hands that you use to stab people in the back. Oh look, another person that is not in our "RESPECTED minds" club. Get him... For a reality check go back and read my initial question and the s**t you both posted in response. Now that Jake has labeled me Mr Camaro, John you fall into the name calling like a 10 year old. Go ahead and invite Oliver in to see how you treat people that ask questions. I am sure he will be impressed with you all. He probably will want to give you back his "RESPECTED mind" club card.

Yes Jake, Mesquite is a wood. And thank God you post on this forum to promote the type IV and not out of boredom. I was worried it was out of the sadistic pleasure you get by talking trash to people.

I am Mr. Dreamer and I make my living building and producing peoples dreams. I kind of like that nickname, might even change my forum name to that!

Next time give the new guy a chance to ask a question without gang raping him. Your intelligence does not increase with the number of posts you have on this forum. The people you tear into on this forum could be your customers in the future. Take a moment to answer their questions. Be polite to them because their question is not near as stupid to them as it is to you. And like I said earlier, if it is a waste of time to respond, don't respond. Now I ask the rest of you, would you buy something from these two guys? Customer service takes on a whole new meaning with these two.
[email protected]
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by [email protected] »

I've met John in person and I wouldn't try to kick his ass Image

And I'll gladly pay 20 bucks more at Aircooled.net than another store since he is honest on shipping and honest with his advise. John will try to steer you in the right direction if you listen.

Just like everything, there are many ways to approach a problem, and sometimes many solutions. Make a call, pay your money. If you don't like the answers here then leave. That was hard. Speaking only for myself, I've learned quite a bit from this forum and find it useful.

Peace!
Steve Arndt
Mr. Dreamer
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by Mr. Dreamer »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnConnolly:
<B>Ti rods is crazy;
BTW, I'm working on a centrifugal supercharger kit right now (serpentine belt); first I'm aware of. I'll keep everyone posted.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Dreamer will run out and tell his customer them ti rods is crazy and demand he stop talking of inertia and all that physics stuff that makes our heads hurt. Someone should have told Porsche it was crazy thirty years ago andI would not have this problem now. And I guess you will give me the usual great dealer price on the supercharger kit huh?
[email protected]
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by [email protected] »

I'm not sure if I was clear or not, but I meant to say I would gladly pay more money through Aircooled if ONLY for his service and support!!! But that isn't the case, he also has some of the best prices once you show him some support!! Give and take.
Steve
[email protected]
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by [email protected] »

Please buy those wonderful Ti rods. When one mics out too tight, go back to your GOOD DEAL cheap dealer and check out what happens. I'm real sure he'll go out on a limb and help you out! Yeah right. . John takes care of his customers. If Aircooled.net is known for anything, it is customer support. He only sells products taht work. On the shelf next to Ti rods are chrome valve covers. Both not needed.

(And yes I know Porsche first used Ti rods for racing in their Turbo engines. And I also know that they worked perfectly fine in that instance. Were they needed in that case to stay ahead of the other race teams? Yes. Are we racing our superbeetle convert with AC at 9 grand? I'll watch. )

Steve
Tom Perso
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by Tom Perso »

As I sit here fuming, I would like to add a comment...

Everyone here has a different idea on how to build a T4 motor. Of course they do, they are literally hundreds of combo's that you can do. You have to take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. Most of us on this forum do NOT have an unlimited amount of money to throw at a motor and our thinking is quite different than a certian new member's customer. Are Ti rods overkill? Hell yes, but if someone wants, then fine...

Anyways, whenever I have asked a question it has always been answered with a geniune, truthful solution.

I have talked to Jake Raby on the phone numerous times and with John Connolly over email. Both have been very professional and answered my questions. Does Jake need a PR person? No... Does John need someone's sh*t about pricing? Nope... Are these two men intitled to their opinions? Yes!

Lets kill this one and move on...

Tom
BergRace
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2000 12:01 am

Type IV Stroke and Rod Limits?

Post by BergRace »

Guy's I'm a bit disapointed.
Does the name Matt ring a bell??
8=[


J.

------------------
-56 T1 hopefully soon with a F.I. T4 (AN engine)
Post Reply