Brakes binding, help needed please.....

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
User avatar
luke78
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:01 am

Post by luke78 »

Hey I lived in RSA and I don't seem to remember any rain that lasted for more than a few hours. I do remember seeking shelter from some of the worst hail storms I've ever seen.
User avatar
OurPoorBus
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 12:57 pm

Post by OurPoorBus »

Yeah Luke but thats cos' you probably lived in Gauteng (Old T'vaal) hail storms are killers there, got a good photo from my b-in-law of his garden being ruined by one. I am at the coast, the Friendly [Windy] city, not CT, altho we get all the cold fronts from CT. Thursday/Friday it was so hot with berg winds you could hardly move, Friday night the rain started and only stopped about a hour ago, its still drizzling.

Ray, just picked up something interesting that you mentioned that I must have missed earlier, ATE and FAG not being compatable, we use both here, and if I remember correctly the brake shop uses ATE brake parts, and FAG are the most common bearings to be found, together with SKF, who I think bought out FAG here, or the other way round, anyway, thats something else we will have to check. I wonder how many other guys are driving around with problems like ours and don't know why, pity we are so behind re the internet age, it would be great to get a site going for kombi's here, but most folk don't even have the internet, well not the ones that drive old 'classic' around, They view a pc as an evil thing that will blow up or lose all info if they touch the wrong button.
User avatar
OurPoorBus
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 12:57 pm

Post by OurPoorBus »

Ray, you know of any Mercury Cougar owners round your area, or near by.
User avatar
OurPoorBus
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 12:57 pm

Post by OurPoorBus »

Update on the brake problem:-
Took off one front wheel, the calipers were so badly siexed we could not get them to move, replaced the wheel, drove down to a VW expert, left here there, with these instructions. 'Here is the Kombi, sort her out".
Anyway cutting a long story short:-
Front wheel bearings needed regreasing.
Front calipers so siezed that soaking for 2 days did nothing, replaced with a conditioned set.
Right handbrake cable non-existent.
Left handbrake cable all gunged up.
Brake pipes blocked.
Rear brakes needed adjusting.
Master cylinder piston stuck, halfway in/out. Looked like it had been that way for a while.
3 rear wheel studs replaced as originals had side 'sawn' off.
Have left her there for a carb overhaul and timing etc to be sorted out, also missing a few critical engine rubbers.

So much for the overhaul on the brakes the previous place did, felt like going there and raising caine, but its a small town, will just pass on the word instead.

And Yeah, maybe we took the easy way out by taking her in to be fixed, but this guy has worked on VW's since the year dot, I used to take my beetle to him about 22 years ago, should have taken the Kombi there first, but did not even think about it. At least we will be doing all the bodywork ourselves.
Post Reply