blasting and surface rust/paint removal

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
hillbilly
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:01 am

Post by hillbilly »

:lol: Yea makes sense to me.......... after all how long can it take to become a bodyman......... 1 ....2 .....or maybe three or four cars and you would pretty much have it downpat .....enough to go get a job in a bodyshop.......roughing out garbage cans....... :shock: .....I think what john said is true take it to a good shop and be happy..the shop will be happy......you will be happy..or do it your self and try to duplcate what takes years of doing every day 8 hours a day( to become a good bodyman).I have done collision work for over 30 years and not a week goes by where I don't learn something new (or remember something I forgot :oops: ) But hey thats me,you do what makes you happy,and I am sure it will look great because as you all know there is no crappy paint job at 70 miles an hour :roll: and there is not alot you can do to make a V.W. look ugly, it just dose not happen. :roll:....okay maybe once in a while..............oh joy I hit a 100 :roll:
User avatar
drew23
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 01, 2003 12:11 pm

Post by drew23 »

john @ no dollars racing wrote:blaster 129.00,sand 30.00,killing your compressor and dieing of silicosis priceless...:shock:.....have it professionally done its not worth the risk...just the opinion of a professional auto restorer w 15yrs exp. bee cool john...
I sand blast headstones for a living and if you buy a $19.00 mask you can stop 99.something% of the dust. Yes, it is dangerous but, what about the $$$. I can buy 7 filters that last 8 hours of blasing, for $5.00, 100 lb bags of sand for $8.00, and gas for an indusrial copressor for alot lee than $500.00 but, if I could afford to have it done proffessionaly I propably would...
User avatar
drew23
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 01, 2003 12:11 pm

Post by drew23 »

Me again, looks like I don't know how to spell. :lol:
metropoj
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:01 am

Post by metropoj »

My biggest question that I always like to answer to myself is .... "What is my TIME worth to me ? " If you figure out from what people are telling you for time and your cost you feel you time is worth ( say 10 bucks an hour ... which is pretty bad ), then you and the tools you need to buy should be less than a pro job ....... if not, think twice ..... Is it worth it ? :?

Personally, I'm just taking the important panels like the doors and fenders from my Square to a shop to make sure they're straight after I D/A the paint off them. The rest of the shell, I'll scuff up for primer and take it to someone .....
User avatar
jus'buggin
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2000 12:01 am

Post by jus'buggin »

I think the whole what is my time woth is a crock of sh!t. It is a hobby restoring these cars for most...not a job. I look at it like this when doing something that is an involved process.

What would it cost me to have it done? you take that amount then add it to....what I would be spending right now if I had to spend the day with the wife shopping. I am not the shopping type so honestly if it cost me money not to go it would be a great investment to save me the aggrevation :lol:

You look at that amount then compare it to this....how much am I spending on this(whatever the project may be) how much was I quoted to ge it done. How much money am I saving by not shopping? add that all together and do the math with the above.

Next you have to add in these factors....How much did I learn? (dunno how to put a $ figure on that one) How much aggrevation did it save me by not spending the day at the mall. If it is a relaxing thing for you to do then how much is lowering your blood pressure worth to you.

It is always easy to pay someone else to do it for you. I didnt have a clue about anything on my car when I got it. Didnt know how to open the gas cover turn the heat on in it or anything. Know I know enough to be dangerous but at least I know If I screw it up then I will pay someone to fix it. But do your homwwork first and it greatly increases your chances of success.

Sorry guys just a little excited today. Decided to quit my job in January and return to school. It will be a change Mr. 30something going back to school but I am looking forward to it.
User avatar
mez
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 5:05 am

Post by mez »

drew23 wrote:Me again, looks like I don't know how to spell. :lol:
Yeah, I hear that spelling is one of the first things to go when you sandblast without proper protection ;)
metropoj
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:01 am

Post by metropoj »

Wow, how much time did you spend writing that up instead of working on your car ??? Bad boy !!! 8)

Your other spare time is shopping ? :D Sorry, I have the cottage and my family to spend my time on ...... that is why I pick and choose my battles now Besides, we all know that when your spouse goes shopping that it doesn't make a lick of difference if you are there or not... money gets spent, so that point goes out the window ...

That's why I said "PERSONALLY" .... I realized that not all hobbies are worth me spending tons of time on ( and coin for that time ). I also don't need to "Know" everything about restoring a car. No time ..

:roll:

Relax and hit the books Mr 30 ....... Good luck with that. You're not heading back to school as a hobby are ya ?? Or because the wife spends too much money ? :wink:
User avatar
jus'buggin
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2000 12:01 am

Post by jus'buggin »

:lol:
Yea I know money gets spent but I am more to fault than she is....it is an excuse for me to work on the car :oops:

I am actually going back to school so I can afford bigger projects the next time. Also so I can afford to buy the cabin to spend time with the family. :) Oh I truely understand your position about spending time with the family. Right now my daughter is in bed by 6 (7months old) and sleeps til at least 7 in the morning so it gives me plenty of tinker time. I am a person that has to have something to do or I am miserable....I guess doing all of the work myself is cheap therapy it really inst about getting it done it just about doing it.

Brant
metropoj
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:01 am

Post by metropoj »

Wow 7 till 7, my 10 month old doesn't quite do that ... :)

Yeah, I hoping next time around to get more $$ to buy a better car than a 300 buck basket case ... :) Then I can spend time on interior, detailing, F.I. etc instead of body work, yuck .....


Enjoy ....
dbnbde
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:01 am

Post by dbnbde »

:lol: I say this.....if I haven't done over half the work myself alone, or with the the help of some buddies, then even though I own the car, it really isn't mine, because some one else did the work. I know tons of kids that say, "yeah, I've got this done and this done and this done" Sure, their honda looks good, but do they really know what looks like what under the hood, or if that is actually the best product for their set up in their car? NO....daddy just gave them the money so they would "LOOK" cool driving their car, but their knowledge is of that they just drank....Hams Beer! There is nothing wrong with having someone do something that you have never done before, or that you just flat out don't have the tools and the $$ to afford the tools to do the project, but as far as making a project someone elses problem just because you have the $$$ to leave it joe schmos shop for a year till you can get it back looking better then it was brand new....you might have well just spent the money on a BMW, because that is the same pleasure you will get from driving it. I know this, as my first car was a year project in my parents garage, and my second car was a BMW, now that I am onto my 9th car since 1998 and I am only 23, I know the pros and the cons on both sides. So, a little work on your own, and a little work contracted out, I believe is the best way to go.
Post Reply