411 tranny
-
GDRBO
- Posts: 2574
- Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:01 am
411 tranny
Good info guys but what nosecone do you need to convert a 914 for use in a bug?
- Tom Notch
- Moderator
- Posts: 3332
- Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:01 am
411 tranny
there isn't a nose cone that "just bolts right up", modifications are required.
And that will be a NEW thread!!
Gentleman, Start Your Keyboards!!
------------------
Tom Notch
And that will be a NEW thread!!
Gentleman, Start Your Keyboards!!
------------------
Tom Notch
- Dave_Darling
- Posts: 2534
- Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am
411 tranny
The transmissions from the 914 will be five speeds in reverse. You can indeed flip the ring and pinion, but it requires some finicky adjustments to get correct. (From what I hear; never done it myself.)
The 911, from the 63 prototype (I think) all the way up through 1968 or 69, used the 901 transmission. In 69 or 70, they changed to the "911" tranny, which is very similar to the 901. That was used through 71.
In 72, they switched to the "915" tranny. This was a larger, heavier, more robust unit. This was used up until 87 or 88.
The original 912s used a 4-speed 901, with a 5-speed being optional. The 76 912E used a 915 gearbox.
It would be easier to simply get a 901 from an early 911 and use that, than to use a tail-shifter 914 tranny and flip the ring and pinion. Particularly in an area where 914s are uncommon. I hear that the Type I tranny is smaller than the 901, and you need to do some real work (read: welding) to make the 901 fit.
--DD
The 911, from the 63 prototype (I think) all the way up through 1968 or 69, used the 901 transmission. In 69 or 70, they changed to the "911" tranny, which is very similar to the 901. That was used through 71.
In 72, they switched to the "915" tranny. This was a larger, heavier, more robust unit. This was used up until 87 or 88.
The original 912s used a 4-speed 901, with a 5-speed being optional. The 76 912E used a 915 gearbox.
It would be easier to simply get a 901 from an early 911 and use that, than to use a tail-shifter 914 tranny and flip the ring and pinion. Particularly in an area where 914s are uncommon. I hear that the Type I tranny is smaller than the 901, and you need to do some real work (read: welding) to make the 901 fit.
--DD
- Bleyseng
- Posts: 994
- Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2000 12:01 am
411 tranny
I went to a Porsche swap meet this weekend and for $100 you could buy a 901 5 tranny out of a 911. I looked at it and its fairly similar to a bug IRS tranny but for the shifter rod location. I would have to put them side by side to see how it could be made to work. You also buy a 901 LSD unit for only $900 for your burnouts!
-
brian
411 tranny
If anyone is looking for a 901 tranny, one is listed on E-Bay. Current bidding is at $199, closes Wednesday, July 26 at 7:00 pacific.
link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/e ... =384390232
link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/e ... =384390232
-
cooky
411 tranny
Here in the U.K. auto trans are almost unheard of. If a four speed type 4 will possibly fit how about a 5-speed Transporter(Vanagon). They are plentiful over here.
- Bleyseng
- Posts: 994
- Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2000 12:01 am
411 tranny
Here is a cool link on how to install a 901 5 speed transmission in a bug/ghia. Check it out..
http://performanceghia.webjump.com/html/trans.htm
http://performanceghia.webjump.com/html/trans.htm
- Chris Percival
- Posts: 842
- Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2000 12:01 am
411 tranny
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cooky:
If a four speed type 4 will possibly fit how about a 5-speed Transporter(Vanagon).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Would a 5 speed wedge (vanagon) fit a T411?
If a four speed type 4 will possibly fit how about a 5-speed Transporter(Vanagon).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Would a 5 speed wedge (vanagon) fit a T411?
- tuna
- Posts: 2531
- Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 12:01 am
411 tranny
Chris, it is possible to install a late Bus (wedge) trans into a Type 4, but there will be a lot of problems you will need to overcome. The biggest one will be the "hockey stick". The hockey stick is high up on the nosecone on the Bus, whereas the T4 trans it's located lower down.
A better fit would be a 901/911 trans. The hockey stick is in the same general area, so you would have to cut up the body to mount the trans and weld a shifter box on the hump. I've looked into this and I feelt the 901 trans is the way to go. Check out 411/412 site at: http://www.tunacan.net/t4corner/
Tuna
A better fit would be a 901/911 trans. The hockey stick is in the same general area, so you would have to cut up the body to mount the trans and weld a shifter box on the hump. I've looked into this and I feelt the 901 trans is the way to go. Check out 411/412 site at: http://www.tunacan.net/t4corner/
Tuna