LIFTERS! The future looks promising! Maybe even rollers!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Roller lifters REQUIRE roller cams. The lobe differences are incredible.

I will keep everyone informed. I have 30 people waiting on lifters just to build stock engines!

I will be posting pics tonight of my testing fixture for lifters, it is 97% completed.
User avatar
Richie
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Richie »

Wow, that's great news.
I'll bet that the first car with an roller-cam equipped Type 4 will be one "roller" coaster ride!! :lol: (pun intended)
Keep up the excellent work Jake! One question though; do your days have 36 hours instead of 24? :lol:

Cheers,
Richard
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I never know what day it is... I work till I get tired then crash for 3-4 hours and do it all again...

The first roller equipped engine will probably be my 2316 for my 914, it needs a tear down and inspection anyway.
User avatar
DudeAndHisBus
Posts: 295
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by DudeAndHisBus »

Any estimate as to how long it'd be before we'd be able to buy these?
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I'll know by weeks end..

BUT They will go through heavy duty testing before I release them.. Anyone interested in being a guinea pig let me know.
User avatar
vujade
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:01 am

Post by vujade »

Jake, Im gonna need a cam & set of lifters for Charles 2.3 T4.
I might be a test candidate?
turboteener.

Post by turboteener. »

Guys, roller lifters are available now that will work with a T4. Go check out the Jesel Keyed roller lifters: www.jesel.com

They just require the use of a bronze bushing with a key way. You would have the block machined the same way you would with the standard lifter bushings.

The problem with using roller lifters is the lack of camshafts. The design will be radically different and the material will have to be billet. The price for the initial design will be fairly high.

Roller lifters will set you back about 800$ not including machine work and camshaft design.

The big issue here is the lack of a reliable, high quality, inexpensive stock style lifter. The Winston Cup boys are running 9600+ rpm all day long with flat tappets so don't look so quickly to the roller lifter as a solution. I am suprised no one has been using an aftermarket Chevy or Ford lifter instead of a stock lifter. There is much more aftermarket support for those motors. If Jake can bring a reliable replacement lifter to market I will very happy. I don't mind paying for ceramic lifters but I know lots of other people won't.

I don't know what the deal is with the Pauter stuff but I really haven't heard anything all that great about them. Obviously their Big Block is successful but little else seems worth all the hype.
76campmobile
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:43 pm

Post by 76campmobile »

Count me in as # 31 who is waiting for test results before doing a STOCK 2.0 rebuild. New #73 cam and matching $150 Two piece lifters (that I'm now afraid to use).

Damn! I'm ready to put the old factory lifters back in their same bores and take my chances with the cam going flat as opposed to having a 2pc lifter pushrod cup explode!!
The old stock lifters looked to be in pretty good shape I.E. no pitting or scoring whatsoever.

I would do the ceramics without a second thought if I had the $$ but I dont, so now what? Has anyone had ANY success with the 2pc "recommended" lifters???

I just want to get this thing finished to do some darn camping before the snow flys again!!
Last edited by 76campmobile on Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

The Cams with these guys is not an issue... They can plot any grind you want..
76campmobile
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:43 pm

Post by 76campmobile »

I have full faith in the cam. Can't wait to see what it does for my performance (not racing it). Its the darn "recommended " lifters that came with it that I,m VERY worried aboit using.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I don't blame you at all.. I won't use them..

BUT they have had no problems reported.
lowemp
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:01 am

Hold the press!!

Post by lowemp »

Jake, we are currently planning on the ceramics in my 2615. Should I wait and see what these lifters and cam combos would add in my case? Time is not an issue at this point, obviously I just want the best combination you can produce.
Michael P. Lowe
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Mike,
Ceramics are definately the wisest choice for you..
lowemp
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:01 am

Post by lowemp »

Excellent, and honestly the more I thought about it the ceramics made more sense. My brother is a ceramic engineer from Northwestern, and he was conviced I couldn't do better. Although, I took his opinion with a grain of salt since he currently works for intel making silicon chips.
On another topic, when you get mine together could I come out for the dyno testing? It would take a 2-3 week heads up but I want to see it in action.
Also I have a line on a proven Seqential FI intake plenum, but I can't give out the specifics in a public forum.
Thanks
Michael P. Lowe
Hot Wheels
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Hot Wheels »

very happy to see some more lifter choices working thier way into the type 4. Makes me want to start over a third time.
Locked