Page 2 of 3
Manifold cutouts
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:31 pm
by 74 Thing
I just checked out those pics on your web site-pretty nice. Do the cyl tins already come cut out for the big manifolds as they appear in the pics? Also what should the temps be reading using a vdo cht cyl temp gauge?
Thanks
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:22 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
The shroud does NOT come with the TIV cooler.. It will be an option later if you want one.
The shroud comes cut for small manifolds, so the installer can trim to fit their manifolds. The shroud is fiberglass so the trimming is easy as pie for larger manifolds.
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:20 am
by 69bajakid
Hey Jake, 350 Bucks sounds like a good deal...but due to my job (demolition) i get sent around Canada allot...and dont get to drive my bug all that often..so i dont think i could really give you any feedback/test info..
compair to stock
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:39 pm
by david menche
How does the DTM Type One compare to a stock system in cooling? Have you any data on how much cooler and even? Also I think you were doing tests on various stock fan housings. how is that progressing, any publish date yet?
I will be doing a 2180cc in a kit car and seek optimal cooling, and it should be fully instrumented. I have already optimized the engine bay ducting with my 1500cc test engine and lost nearly 50F on the heads, and simular on the fan intake temp. I am thinking remote oil cooler with electric fan, no stock cooler.
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:32 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
The Type I DTM is mainly made to utilize a stock TIV cooler for better oil cooling while attaining more equal running temperatures all across the engine. Compared to a stock system we are seeing 15-30 degrees cooler on the coolest cylinders of the engine better with the TI DTM.... BUT considering the stock system averages 50 degrees more on the left bank than the right, thats pretty good. The TI DTM is averaging 20 degrees between all 4 cylinders and adds the TIV oil cooler as a standard, and routes 20% more air to the cavity than a stock doghouse does.
as for overall head cooling its hard to beat the stock system, but all 5 of the stockers we tested, all tested differently. In the overall engine temps is where the TI DTM shines, as well as keeping oil temps much more in check without huge extra coolers. I have a local guy with a 2275 that runs 9.7:1 and does not run an external cooler!
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:35 am
by blue thunder
Great to here it's working, congrats Jake!
Have you tested a porsche cooling shroud and alternator? If you have, how does it compare to your DTM cooling system?
I'm very curious.....
Keep up the good work,
Grtz. from Holland,
Robin
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:45 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Yes, 4 different ones.......
The Porsche fans would npot even attain what a stock TI system would!!
The best one was 65 degrees hotter on #4 than the rest of the cylinders.
Those Porsche shrouds are empty inside, and thats the WORST thing in the world.
Proper pressures and optimum routing of cooling air is the key, I found that out, but it took 7 months!
All my test data will come out sometime in Ultra VW.
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:05 pm
by kit
Hi Jake.
don,t want to rain on your parade but I believe "Ultra VW" is no more.
maybe some other Brits can chime in?
kit
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:25 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Really?? This must have just happened... You may be thinking of Total VW from a few years ago... They went away.
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:25 pm
by shambly
Kit,
Are you confusing with TotalVW magazine which went under?
UltraVW magazine just reached its 12th issue and IMHO is showing the incumbants (i.e. Volksworld) how its done. But then i'm a slightly biased early porsche fan!
Simon
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:05 pm
by kit
Thanks Shambly.
I was confusing it with Total VW,I thought it was the follow on like TVW was from Flat4 mag.
Nice to see you here as well DDK forum.
Has Jakes engine arrived yet?
Kit
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:16 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Simon is next on the build list! Should be rocking on his next week!
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:26 pm
by Brian Murray
damn and I thought mine was next... o well looks like i couldnt come up with the money in time after all. Thanks for the offer tho Jake!
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:36 am
by Kafer_Mike
Jake,
Two questions on the Type-1 DTM:
1) I understand that the Type-1 DTM uses the front breast tin and the rear pulley tin. What other OEM tin does it require?
2) Since the factory flaps and bellow are removed, any issues or concerns related to cold starts and bringing the engine up to temp?
Thanks...
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:52 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
The Type I DTM is designed for Performance engines. They warm up well in our testing.
All that you need otherwise is the front and rear tins. The rest of the system is all ONE PIECE and molded together.