8 cylinder using T4 crank
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Hell at that rate I'll just go find a 10 stage Turboshaft from a CH 46 and install it midship in my bus..... Its only 1870 SHP, only problem is running a muffler and creating a powermanagement system that allows the engine air intake and fuel control to run at rates other than 28% 56% and 100% Ng.....
-
Billyisgr8
Lamborghini make there own engines ,the crank on an in house cnc . They are assembled in the same factory as the cars are made, cases are deburred by hand to remove flashing. Heads are hand checked for cracks and thickness, they are also cnc'd on an inhouse machine. They have 2 rods per journal on the new 12 cylinder in there newly released model , the ???? I forgot the name. It seemed everypart was made in house.raygreenwood wrote:This is a common feature of the VW/Audi "W" series engines. By the way....lamborghini does not do this. VW does. They own lamborghini and make the engines. Ray
I got the 2 rods per crank idea from Lamborghini. This is where I saw it.
These were Lamborghini employees I saw assembling engines and the cars. No mention of VW anywhere. I did not see anything that would imply vw was involved. Of course for $680,000 You don't want to have a VW logo on your Lamborghini.
Kevin
- Wally
- Posts: 4575
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am
Ray is right, but VW only aquired Lambo a few years ago. The latest two new models are all developed under VW supervision. VW is now also owner of Bently and BMW owns Rolls Royce...
No risk of front wheel drive at Lambo, not too sure about that on the future Rolls and Bently models tho
Walter
No risk of front wheel drive at Lambo, not too sure about that on the future Rolls and Bently models tho
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
-
wise_man
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:53 am
A bit OT but i thought u guys wanna check it out:
http://www.revetec.com/website/index.html
Interesting concept of an engine!
http://www.revetec.com/website/index.html
Interesting concept of an engine!
- Wesayso
- Posts: 232
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 4:21 pm
Don't forget to mention BugattiWally wrote:Ray is right, but VW only aquired Lambo a few years ago. The latest two new models are all developed under VW supervision. VW is now also owner of Bently and BMW owns Rolls Royce...
No risk of front wheel drive at Lambo, not too sure about that on the future Rolls and Bently models tho![]()
![]()
Walter
Also a VW concept...
Here's a picture of the 917 engine

-
turboteener.
as far as the rotary valve check out Roton Engine Developments. They have a functional design. I know Race Engine Technology did an article on it in the last quarter.
Nothing wrong with sharing crank pins, all formula 1 Engine share crank pins. Most all Production V8 engines share crank pins as well as some of the bike engine based v8s.
The problem with your idea is the lack of space or sufficent colling surface area. If you have never seen a 917 engine, you would be suprised at the size of the engine. Check out the new issue of Excellence for some pics of a 917-8 engine.
Nothing wrong with sharing crank pins, all formula 1 Engine share crank pins. Most all Production V8 engines share crank pins as well as some of the bike engine based v8s.
The problem with your idea is the lack of space or sufficent colling surface area. If you have never seen a 917 engine, you would be suprised at the size of the engine. Check out the new issue of Excellence for some pics of a 917-8 engine.
- dstar
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
Re: Other motor ideas
IT is perfected, IF you can afford it!Billyisgr8 wrote:...........I have a rotary valve design sketched on a piece of paper . People have tried it before, but I have never seen any results yet.................KevinCloudbuster wrote: I think its time that somebody ressurect the sleeve valve as well.
I have seen them, great idea, exotic parts=exotic PRICE!
Anyone have pics of the rotary valve?
I'll look online...
Don
- Terry in TN
- Posts: 131
- Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2001 12:01 am
I love the idea of a turbocharged 2 stroke boxer. That way you could deal with a larger engine displacement without trimming the engine bay on a t1. Huge torque, higher rpms, relatively light weight. My question is can you run high compression with a 2 stroke like 10-12:1 on pump gas? When Chrysler was talking about a radial 3 cylinder I dreamed of that in a bug. Now somebody makes a 3 cylinder aircooled for a Harley type bike that has 2500cc displacement. Oh, yeah and I dream of the three (piston?) rotary Mazda race engine in a bug too. I just need to quite dream'n and get to work making what I got run.
-
Cloudbuster
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 am
- Kelley
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:01 am
2-stroke = HIGH maintenance,,,,,,,,,,,, but the idea sends chills down to my toes. That's why all your M/C manufacturers have all gone 4-stroke except for their high end MX racers, and even then just about everybody out there now is going to 4-stroke technology. Unless it's strictly race, I expect it wouldn't come close to passing emissions. Very interesting.
- Murdock
- Posts: 827
- Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:01 am
From what I gathered so far, several companies have functional rotary valve designs and would be able to produce them except they want to perfect the reliability before release.
The latest racecar engineering mag has a quick one page from Kinsley Wright (from Roton Engine Developments as stated by turboteener), along with a pictured design drawing of a proposed rotary valve engine for formula 1, this is from the magazine the prior month.
I have talked to a few people about rotary valve heads for vw's which would be simple to design- naturally the sealing is the main concern. If anyone has access to a lathe and mill in the Dallas area I would like to bounce some ideas and sketches around for prototyping, as I don't think our university machine shop would be the greatest place for private designing.
The latest racecar engineering mag has a quick one page from Kinsley Wright (from Roton Engine Developments as stated by turboteener), along with a pictured design drawing of a proposed rotary valve engine for formula 1, this is from the magazine the prior month.
I have talked to a few people about rotary valve heads for vw's which would be simple to design- naturally the sealing is the main concern. If anyone has access to a lathe and mill in the Dallas area I would like to bounce some ideas and sketches around for prototyping, as I don't think our university machine shop would be the greatest place for private designing.
-
Guest
After taking a look at the Feuling W3 engine, I got to thinking. Suppose a VW engine was made in an X, with the angle between the top and bottom being 45*. The top 2 sets of cylinders would be aligned with one another and share crank bearings and the bottom 2 sets would be offset from the top 2 (like 1-2 is offset from 3-4) and share crank bearings. This would eliminate most of the nasty harmonics as they would be 135* apart from one another rather than 180*.
I have come up with a few things that would be of concern:
1. Intake/exhaust configuration (probably new heads would be in order)
2. Cam and valves
3. Cooling - Jake, I have no doubt you could cool it if it existed
4. Oil flow - would tend to puddle in bottom cylinder head covers
5. Ground clearance - intuitively, I don't think it would be much lower than a deep sump.
Does anyone have any AutoCAD drawings of an ACVW engine (type I or IV)? I am fairly adept at using it and would like to make up some drawings of ideas I have. I could also measure but my engines are 2000 miles away whilst I am at school.
I have come up with a few things that would be of concern:
1. Intake/exhaust configuration (probably new heads would be in order)
2. Cam and valves
3. Cooling - Jake, I have no doubt you could cool it if it existed
4. Oil flow - would tend to puddle in bottom cylinder head covers
5. Ground clearance - intuitively, I don't think it would be much lower than a deep sump.
Does anyone have any AutoCAD drawings of an ACVW engine (type I or IV)? I am fairly adept at using it and would like to make up some drawings of ideas I have. I could also measure but my engines are 2000 miles away whilst I am at school.