Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?
- greggholmes
- Posts: 215
- Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 1:01 am
- earthquake
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:29 pm
Re: Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?
new guy here
I run a water jet where I work, I just want to add that you cant cut tempered glass with a water jet. it will usally go about 2 or 3 inches before it pops, I made it about 7 inches in to a sheet about 6' x 8' before it went, sounded like a gun shot.
Earthquake
I run a water jet where I work, I just want to add that you cant cut tempered glass with a water jet. it will usally go about 2 or 3 inches before it pops, I made it about 7 inches in to a sheet about 6' x 8' before it went, sounded like a gun shot.
Earthquake
69 drag dune buggy [some day]
65 bare pan
74 class 11 look a like
79 International Scout II
05 Scion XB series release II
Las Vegas, NV.
65 bare pan
74 class 11 look a like
79 International Scout II
05 Scion XB series release II
Las Vegas, NV.
- Unkl Ian
- Posts: 872
- Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?
Tempered Glass can't be cut.
Especially using a process that generated heat.
Especially using a process that generated heat.
- Tom Notch
- Moderator
- Posts: 3332
- Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:01 am
Re: Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?
Well, sort of like my reply to whether a glass is 1/2 full or 1/2 empty.
You can cut the glass with an plasma arc........
you just may not like the size of the pieces....

You can cut the glass with an plasma arc........
you just may not like the size of the pieces....
Tom
Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
-
DWP
- Posts: 274
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:58 am
Re: Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?
As a research Glassblower for over 30 years I need to explain.
DO Not Try It. You will get glass all over hells half acre. There might even be some blood.
Reason, glass when heated wants to expand. When the hot parts meets the cold part there is a lot of thermal stress. Something has to give. Ever try to melt a beer bottle with a torch?
The only way to use a flame on a piece of window glass is to slowly heat the entire piece up in a oven to at least 1000F. Melt the area you are working on and slowly cool down the entire piece in a oven. Even the "pyrex" glass I work needs to go through a oven to even out the stress.
If and that is a big IF you were able to melt a piece the stress left over WILL crack sooner or later.
Dave
DO Not Try It. You will get glass all over hells half acre. There might even be some blood.
Reason, glass when heated wants to expand. When the hot parts meets the cold part there is a lot of thermal stress. Something has to give. Ever try to melt a beer bottle with a torch?
The only way to use a flame on a piece of window glass is to slowly heat the entire piece up in a oven to at least 1000F. Melt the area you are working on and slowly cool down the entire piece in a oven. Even the "pyrex" glass I work needs to go through a oven to even out the stress.
If and that is a big IF you were able to melt a piece the stress left over WILL crack sooner or later.
Dave